Is there a CMS planned?

Thanks Mike. It's a good start. All I'm (& a lot of other forum owners) looking for is something as simple as the Neowin CMS. Just look at that:

http://www.neowin.net/

Simple, clean article script with categories/tags, article thumbnail images, a few sidebar widgets and IPB integrated comments. That's it. No bells 'n' Whistles. Most of us don't need something as complex (and slow) as Joomla...

Yep what I'm needing something fairly simple and smoothly integrated so I don't need to manage 3 completely different sets up upgrade tracks (forum, blog, cms) from 3 different vendors... that is >not< competitive in today's environment. AND I respect K & M's dogged concentration on getting the Forum RIGHT (WHAT a CONCEPT!!!).
C'mon xenforo.org developers (or whatever the XF equiv of vb.org is)... help us out here! ;)

Mike, considering that many of vB customers have bought vB4 Suite and using vBCMS, don't you think converting XenForo will be a downgrade for them in terms of features? If you could come up with a very minimal article/review system, it'd suffice for many of us for now. Nothing fancy, nothing advanced, just bare minimum with a potential to grow.

I second this!

...There's an argument for ensuring that you make a stellar first impression. We intend to do that, with the features that we have. We just don't see delaying the release for everyone being a good thing for us, or for those people who don't have such extensive requirements.
All agreed, Mike... I think with some of us are saying though is get the Forum well on its feet and then give us SOME path for blog and cms(-lite at least) without having to juggle maintenance on standalones such as Wordpress, etc. That level of maintenance is just not feasible for some of us smaller operators who aren't gifted coders.

Mine too! My GOD... it is again 03:00 o' clock in the bl**dy morning overhere in The Netherlands! I wanted to go to bed early, but xenForo is soooo addictive! Imagine what it does to our users/members, if this already works like glue on us administrators! I am really so excited. Hopefully the days of Internet Brands' vBulletin are soon over...
LOL I just ran across this post while I'm only on page 7 of 15 in this thread so far, and it's 3:34 AM here!

[ add edit] ... now it's 4:37 AM and I'm ALMOST caught up here.

This is an incredibly important point that really highlights the maturity and intentions of the Xen Team; the forum software and the company are still in their infancy; experience aside, the evolution of software takes time and careful attention.

And I think a strong third-party developer community will be an integral component to how quickly XenForo will develop.

Don't worry about functionality, it will come. A new forum software means an entire new sub-industry for third-party developers, this means both free and paid solutions for forum owners who need additional functionality.

That's the spirit!

I want just the plain forum, but I don't think adding a simple portal system would delay the launch that long, and it would cut down on a lot of the threads we've seen lately.
If it's not gonna take that long to add a simple portal, then maybe you'd be willing to let them go ahead and release the forum and THEN code up the simple portal system in a free afternoon. ;)

There's no way I'll use a bridge again. Done it a few times and it never works properly or when it does in terms of practical use, its impossible to get the two scripts to look the same. They look like two different sites on one URL. Fugly.

Xen CMS for the win I say. I know Joomla is mature but then again so is IPB and VB and Xenforo in its Alpha state is looking at least as good as those even now - if not better in some cases. So with now seeing how good Xenforo is, I have no doubt that Kier and his team can come up with more great things as good as if not better than Joomla or Wordpress.

Yes, it could basically be a simple article system to begin with.
  • Articles with title & content
  • Comments on articles
  • Categories to put articles in.
Done (for now).

Yes 100 % sign. So that we can convert our sections, categories and articles from the vb-cms (big smile) to xen. Without so a Feature i have big big Problems to move to xen.

All I'd need for the boards I Admin is an add-on like vBAdvanced as a portal, we avoided going to the vB CMS with our upgrade to vb4 as I had a feeling it wouldn't be to scratch. I'd much rather Kier and Mike get the forum right forst then think about adding other things like a CMS, etc...

Just my 2p's worth :)

Top Bottom