IPS 4 Preview is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pro tip: Don't click "Cancel Registration". I was testing things out in the meantime, so I clicked it after registering 30 hours ago hoping I'd see a confirmation box appear. Nope. :( :cry:

I'm a licensed customer also. (y) I'm just wondering how many unlicensed people they've approved when i think licensed customers should atleast automatically be able to access. Since you mentioned 36 hours that would make a little sense if it's taking this length of time to approve people.

Still, approval page is looking good though I haven't fully explored it yet and still finding new stuff every time i visit it.

View attachment 77047

ah I see :)
Well much like I told Jacq from TAZ, i'll start a hashtag on twitter "IpsapproveShelley" and get it trending and get them to approve you faster! ;)

seriousy though, I do hope you get approved soon. I am enjoying the software a lot(Monday night and into Tuesday I was in fanboy mode) but now I am fully trying to learn the software as an end user(since those are the ones who will be the ones we have to worry about adapting).

There a few things that bug me though....nothing to prevent me from using the software of course, but annoying things that bother me a bit

What I did after confirmation, just visit forum index, forum_view, thread views, profile view, and leave.
Sorry I don't like the environment.

ah I see :)
Well much like I told Jacq from TAZ, i'll start a hashtag on twitter "IpsapproveShelley" and get it trending and get them to approve you faster! ;)

seriousy though, I do hope you get approved soon. I am enjoying the software a lot(Monday night and into Tuesday I was in fanboy mode) but now I am fully trying to learn the software as an end user(since those are the ones who will be the ones we have to worry about adapting).

There a few things that bug me though....nothing to prevent me from using the software of course, but annoying things that bother me a bit

Oh please don't, once they find out it's me they won't let me in. Perhaps they might and it's all water under the bridge. :D

With reference to fanboy (never cared for the term myself personally) but people like what they like, they dislike certain things in software it's only natural and it's clear you like IPB. Personally, my copy of ipb has been in stagnation since day 1 since i don't care too much for the 3 series. If by chance 4 x x is a vast improvement then I may tinker with it (once i get motivation back) but the styling system will have to be exceptionally good and as with you liking IPB, I think xf styling system is exceptional to the point it's amost perfect so I'm quite curious to see what improvements they've made to the styling and template system and whether it's something that's going to turn heads.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh please don't, once they find out it's me they won't let me in. Perhaps they might and it's all water under the bridge. :D

With reference to fanboy (never cared for the term myself personally) but people like what they like, they dislike certain things in software it's only natural and it's clear you like IPB. Personally, my copy of ipb has been in stagnation since day 1 since i don't care too much for the 3 series. If by chance 4 x x is a vast improvement then I may tinker with it (once i get motivation back) but the styling system will have to be exceptionally good and as with you liking IPB, I think xf styling system is exceptional to the point it's amost perfect so I'm quite curious to see what improvements they've made to the styling and template system and whether it's something that's going to turn heads.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(ugh at the movie lol)

I do enjoy IPB quite a bit....I actually want to learn more about styling myself(no matter what software, I have to settle for what I want when I buy themes and as they always say if you want something down right, do it yourself :p)

XF does have a great styling system(once you learn how to use it). It was much easier for me to figure out how to change a style's color of a tab with XF, than with IPB 3.x series(Let's be real, it is highly confusing for novices so I don't even bother...it took me ages to figure out to change the background of the post box(where you read posts at :p)

Of course since styling is the least of my concerns,i don't fault IPS too much but I do hope 4 series makes it easier for novices such as myself.

(I do enjoy XF and for less serious sites, i'd use it.....especially for a new project. It's shortcoming as a software isn't what I need for something that is mature but for a start-up project, I can see myself using XF again as a client since its shortcomings wouldn't directly effect me as much....though I likely would go bb, it is a bit cheaper with more power)

Last edited:
Pro tip: Don't click "Cancel Registration". I was testing things out in the meantime, so I clicked it after registering 30 hours ago hoping I'd see a confirmation box appear. Nope. :( :cry:

Sorry to hear that. Shocking to say the least, hopefully one gets added.

That being said, if I ever adopted IPB I think I'd remove that option as I am not really a fan of it.

@Micah Impulse you can't just tell people not to give feedback on certain things because its in a certain stage.

I think everyone knows things will change and improve before release but it doesn't hurt saying anything.

Also on a joking note did you have a mental outburst when there was no members tab and only top contributors? lol jk not sure if they have one just noticed that and reminded me if your feedback on xf :)

@Micah Impulse you can't just tell people not to give feedback on certain things because its in a certain stage.

I think everyone knows things will change and improve before release but it doesn't hurt saying anything.

Also on a joking note did you have a mental outburst when there was no members tab and only top contributors? lol jk not sure if they have one just noticed that and reminded me if your feedback on xf :)

I've never once said you can't feedback on a software in a certain stage....I said it is a bit ridiculous and asinine to compare an alpha to a Gold version. Because it is.

And yeah I was p***ed when I saw the lack of member list on IPB 4

1. Because it should be the option of the admin, not the developers to remove it(I said it for Xenforo initially and I say it now for IPS)

2. It made my original point seem ridiculous :( lol Curse you IPS! JK :D

I'm a licensed customer also. (y) I'm just wondering how many unlicensed people they've approved when i think licensed customers should atleast automatically be able to access.

I don't have a license. Mine was really fast. ~24hrs

I didn't have a license either, also I made the mistake of waiting around for an email. I eventually just went back and tried signing in and I got in fine(I was approved) but never got an email confirming it.

So far the style system seems pretty good from the screenshots I've seen. As @Shelley said XF comes near perfection for my taste(with a few additions needed here and there). Built this in 20 minutes with the XF styling system( I always enjoy XF styling)

ipbees.webp

I didn't have a license either, also I made the mistake of waiting around for an email. I eventually just went back and tried signing in and I got in fine(I was approved) but never got an email confirming it.

So far the style system seems pretty good from the screenshots I've seen. As @Shelley said XF comes near perfection for my taste(with a few additions needed here and there). Built this in 20 minutes with the XF styling system( I always enjoy XF styling)

View attachment 77052
I haven't seen the IPB 4 home page yet but that looks brilliant.

Well, they've updated the login screen to remove a button I think. I can't remember what it said, but it's whatever sent me into a login loop before now. Probably just a redundant login button. Now it's just the following
There used to be a button that gave an option to continue as a guest but since the board is locked out to guest viewing it ended up putting the user into a loop.

They cut down their padding and margin by A LOT, but now it's all over again.

Not even going to get started on their adoption of such depthless flat design, and how low contrast many areas are.
I think, you can no longer stop this "everything must be flat" trend. It's all over the place, Google does it, MS does it and it's no longer limited to web pages, entire operating systems have it.

The flat design is not a bad thing per se, but adding a couple of subtle box shadows can help. Low contrast is a different thing. Some people have no idea how badly it can affect people with a less than optimal eyesight (not me, but my mum has such issues, often asking why on earth people would want to read light grey text on white background).

Yet, it's still better than 90's or early 2k style web design where everything *had* to be 3D with lots of beveling and other ugly effects. Not mentioning marquee, blinking text and really weird color schemes like yellow text on purple background.

I haven't bothered to demo the 4 series although so far I like what I see.. I might have to pick up as license to play around with when the time comes..

I think, you can no longer stop this "everything must be flat" trend. It's all over the place, Google does it, MS does it and it's no longer limited to web pages, entire operating systems have it.

The flat design is not a bad thing per se, but adding a couple of subtle box shadows can help. Low contrast is a different thing. Some people have no idea how badly it can affect people with a less than optimal eyesight (not me, but my mum has such issues, often asking why on earth people would want to read light grey text on white background).

Yet, it's still better than 90's or early 2k style web design where everything *had* to be 3D with lots of beveling and other ugly effects. Not mentioning marquee, blinking text and really weird color schemes like yellow text on purple background.
Holo wasn't flat (only partially), and Material is mostly flat, but still retains some depth.

Flat design is fine if it's done well, however more often than not it's not and it usually looks like every other cookie cutter design out there.

I think it looks pretty good. I have no problems with responsive (aka flat) designs. It seems very clean and well laid out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom