iPhone 5

Looks like another case of apple unlocking a tiny bit more of a phones potential and calling it a new model

Sure it has a faster CPU, but unless I'm mistaken most iPhones are about as smooth as Android 4.1 regardless, unless you're running them on a much newer firmware than they were released with

A lot of negativity on many of the tech-sites. The iPhone (and the smartphone revolution it inspired) is starting to stabilize and move into a period of refinement rather than door-busting new features. I see a lot of people whining that the iPhone 5 didn't 'wow' them, but they're not mentioning what features they wanted for that wow-factor to take place. For years I've had some various ideas about what I wanted to see from new Apple hardware but I've pretty much run out of ideas as well. Now it is just polishing them up, gradually evolving them, and gradually evolving the software to do more and more.

I've seen on a lot of tech sites that people were disappointed... but why? Other than a brand new design, I really would like to know what people were expecting when it came to everything else

The iPhone 5 is a solid phone, and a worthy upgrade for most.

A new processor, new internals, new OS (which isn't really all that new), new camera are all just expected upgrades at this point. Where's the innovation? That's what I think most are expecting, especially when compared to other manufacturers.

A lot of negativity on many of the tech-sites. The iPhone (and the smartphone revolution it inspired) is starting to stabilize and move into a period of refinement rather than door-busting new features. I see a lot of people whining that the iPhone 5 didn't 'wow' them, but they're not mentioning what features they wanted for that wow-factor to take place. For years I've had some various ideas about what I wanted to see from new Apple hardware but I've pretty much run out of ideas as well. Now it is just polishing them up, gradually evolving them, and gradually evolving the software to do more and more.

Off the top of my head; NFC, wireless charging, localized haptic feedback (though this wouldn't be great for battery time) and a genuine leap in camera technology for phones (hello Nokia 920). Expect to see this stuff in 5S, heh. Though, I bet Apple is hoping Passbook takes off faster than NFC -- there's an advantage to tying Apple IDs to payments.

Not even the A6 chip (Apple promises 2x speed), better battery and the 1GB of RAM ... ? :eek:
It would be good to have but you shouldn't need to upgrade if you have the 4s.

The 5s or next version should be much better, so I can wait for that.

I see a lot of people whining that the iPhone 5 didn't 'wow' them, but they're not mentioning what features they wanted for that wow-factor to take place.
I see a lot of that too. People should be able to give examples of at least the direction of innovation expected if they're going to do that. For example I looked forward to Apple developing some new material for the enclosure, making it more resistant to scratches and damage from dropping. But I don't pretend to have a better know how about the possibility of such developments.

I use apple products everywhere in my life , but i still didn't decide if i should get iPhone 5 over my iPhone 4. I will possibly wait to check the phone in my hand to make some tests. Right now iPhone 4 does everything i need.

I absolutely admit that the iPhone 5 didn't WOW me. I still like it, and still want it (My wife wants to upgrade her 3GS so she will have my 4S and I will have my 5 and I will downgrade my £46 a month 18 month contract when it expires to £15 a month 12 month SIM only deal).

But it didn't wow me because I was expecting NFC functionality. Apple are falling behind here and they could make it absolutely awesome. Contactless payments using only my phone and iTunes account? Yes please. That's why it didn't wow me, but I'm not disappointed apart from that. EDIT: Also, the NFC stuff just makes sense when used with their new Passbook thing.

Someone said it needs a "new body". Well it has one, it's quite a bit taller and thinner than previous generations and not made entirely from glass this time. Not sure what else people wanted in that respect.

And TheBigK - I'm not a fan of carrying around 5.5" house bricks in my pocket, I'll stick with a phone :p

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I don't actually have any money so iPhone PayPal donations welcome ;)

Wasn't wowed by it, but then again it's probably because I was drip fed the leaks instead of seeing it all at once, but it's still looks like a damn good phone and worth it as an upgrade from a 3GS in my case.

One thing I wish they had done is reduced the thickness by a fraction less and dedicated the extra space to more battery life. You can only go so thin before you have to stop or move in the other direction.

I just hope 02 will give me a nano sim card with no hassle. I'm grandfathered into an older sim only deal with unlimited data for £20 a month. I hear that some people have been told they have to switch to an iPhone specific plan if they upgrade...I'll be pissed if they try to get me to change my contract.

There were 2 really innovative products on this presentation. It is a new iTunes and EarPods.
Both of them were evolutionary as well as all the other news Apple came up with yesterday. iTunes went from 10.6 to 10.7 and the EarPods are designed differently than the older ones. None really "new" products at all, but hence my posting earlier today itt.

Apple.. here's my money.. take it.

Yes, I will be buying this - because I erroneously sold my iPhone 4S hoping that I wouldn't see something that I wanted to spend £500 on. I'm now spending £529 on a thinner piece of metal which is an evolutionary upgrade.

OWNED

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That prity much sums up my thoughts about the majority of apple purchasers that don't know the difference between their head and their backsides. :LOL:

On an unrelated note. Hulk Hogan looked awfully thin don't you think?

I think my S3 can handle the iPhone for at least another generation :).
You need to understand this. Apple just didn't want to "copy" the S3 :)

Seriously, it's a decent upgrade, but not more. I've never had an iPhone and probably never will, but I know the devices well enough, because a lot of people i know are using them. I must admit, design-wise, I like them more than the Samsung or HTC devices I've been using over the last few years but what I absolutely dislike with a passion is Apple's control freak mentality. Not implying Google is so much better in this regard, but as a matter of fact, Android devices still give you so much more freedom.

I find it a bit amusing to read all the whining about the missing "Wow" factor in the 5. Ask anyone of the complainers what would define this wow factor for them. I bet, there won't be that many useful answers :)

Top Bottom