Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may not know for sure but look at the facts, it was announced less than 24 hours before xenForo goes on sale when they've had a couple of months to do it. At this point in time it's very unlikely that they have a copy of the code and therefor can not know if there is infringement.

Does that make it sound completely genuine to you?
Quite apart from the fact that there is no way in hell they have had a look at the code. And if they haven't - what are they basing this "suit" on?
On ********. Like everything else they do these days.

One thing it does tell you, IB thinks xF is a threat to it's business. As well they should, not because of copyright BS, but just from xF having a far superior product. If xF was going to get 10 sales and die, you wouldn't hear a word about a lawsuit. The fact (by current trends anyway) that xF is going to blow the doors off of this competing product is the only reason they've filed this suit.

It's never easy when accusations are thrown around and all the "fanboyish" postings will not make anything better. I can't imagine anyone knowing any more details than the developers themselves yet many members post as if they actually KNOW all the details. The mods should simply lock this thread instead of asking to tone down. Enough is enough. Let's give them time to sort this out and may the best forum software win.

What? So, it's O.K. for a thread to run on vb.com, but not here?

That road leads to madness.

Well it's not my place to step in and say anything but... well i gave vb.com my money (several times).. their product well is sucky to be honest vBulletin 4 is no where near what 3.8x was / is...

Anyways... here is how to prove that XF have not copied any code etc.... if XF works out of the Box... then VB.com can not prove a thing.. whereas if XF is broken (like vb) it would then seem it's been copied... PS.. you can hire me as your lawyer lol, stuff it i will work for free as ive had it up to here with vb.com

I'm thinking of waiting till Wednesday to buy it now, just to kick in an extra 40 bucks. But then I won't get the "early adopters" edition.;) That'd be a cool strategy, everyone buying on Wednesday would make it obvious it was a show of support!

Reactions: Dan
I think you underestimate the importance of the developer community. It's very, very important. They are an army of volunteer developers, unpaid for the most part. They create an ecosystem which adds value to the forum platform through their network-effect.
I fully understand the power and importance of the developer community. I've been a member of vB.org since 2001, back in the days when Chen used to run vB.org (my join date is November 6th, 2001). vB.org always was (and even still is) vB.com's ******* son. They have never ever shown real love for vB.org.

I understand the sentiments, but that doesn't make them right. Next to vB, I'm a very avid fan of WordPress, but I loathe Matt Mullenweg and I despise some of the actions the WordPress Foundation and/or automattic have done in the recent past. Does that mean I should stop releasing plugins and/or stop helping fellow WordPress fans, or even pull my modifications? It simply doesn't make sense in any way. Internet Brands doesn't give bat **** about you pulling your plugins, nor does it hurt the developer community at vB.org at large. You're just hurting your peers, who have admired and used your work all those years and I think you're showing the same disrespect to your own peers as IB is showing xenforo.

I'm thinking of waiting till Wednesday to buy it now, just to kick in an extra 40 bucks. But then I won't get the "early adopters" edition.;) That'd be a cool strategy, everyone buying on Wednesday would make it obvious it was a show of support!
Or they could just make the sale *optional*.

I think I will compromise. Buy 1 at the discount and then wait to buy another at full price. Can't wait the extra day ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom