Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a shame. I wonder how this is going down in court. I can't see it holding up at all to be honest.

Indeed, the timing of the smacks of intimidation.

The whole case would apear to be based on the clauses they signed when leaving IB, now while we don't know the fine details I imagine it is a very vague contract

Just read it

The suit is simple: we claim that Kier, Mike, and Ashley have infringed and violated contracts they signed with us to gain unfair business advantage. As such, Xenforo’s software unfairly stands on the shoulders of more than a decade of development by Jelsoft. Internet Brands owns this intellectual property.

Now take that on face value, given how these 3 have basically defined the modern day forum, this is saying that they would never be allowed to create a new peice of forum software?

In a UK court this would be dismissed very quickly in XF's favor, and infact, I think XF could potentially counter-sue for damages for several reasons. 1) the timing, 2) XF did not make the first announcement, in my eyes this would be classed as intimidation or some form thereof trying to discredit XF.

The copyright claims I think will come to be more with the style and layout designs opposed to code itself, unless IB managed to get hold of it.

Now again, unless there is something we are unaware of, things like a style or theme will not hold up in court unless for example the design for XF was created under Jelsoft / IB and the XF team have ripped it off (I highly doubt).

Being a UK citizen I am going to follow this as much as I can, and offer my support and the sorts to all of the XF guys in whatever way I can.

I'm feeling kind of ill this morning realizing I've invested so much time and effort in a vB project. I plan on purchasing Xf tomorrow, and hope that one day I can move all my vB projects to Xf. This news really changed my outlook.

This might not be as bad as it sounds. Lets look at it from a different angle. I'm sure given the xenForo's owners past experiences with said company, I highly doubt they would be careless enough to walk the line of infringement. It doesn't take a person long to discover xF's bright future, and big fish can be intimated very easily, hence the action. Once team xenForo gets this sorted it will be full steam ahead for them and another nail in the coffin for the big fish. Plus, I'm sure they will pick up a ton more business because of it.
In reality, why would you want to copy that code anyways? That doesn't even make sense :rolleyes:

Also for the record, I'm personally still going to support your project by purchasing a license.

if the proverbial shoe were on the other foot and rather than buying vBulletin, Internet Brands had instructed our engineers to essentially copy the software, we would have been law breakers.

LOL...they said they could get their engineers to duplicate it...they can barely fix it let alone duplicate it, and they have the source code. LOL.

This claim is stinking!

This, what ib doese here, is a unfair practice. IB is not really likeable... and yes i do not write more!

That doesn't even make sense :rolleyes:

0330chewbacca.webp

This is why your President did law. Recession or no recession/War/petty crimes/homicides/Sexual harassment... :list goes on: The lawyer always get benefited... kaching
--------------------------
If this means anything, you should send your kids to a law school.
------------------------
err... i mean get ready to pay for xenForo tomorrow.

Just clicked. Why it took them so long to get this going.

Basically IB are trying to "steal" the XF product. Consider it like this, if their claims of intelectual property holds up, this would effectively mean the whole XF platform would be property of IB.

Ill give it to IB, thats an absolutely great idea if your running a business with no ethics. Let someone else develop a "next gen" product for you without paying them a penny.

Shame it won't hold up in UK courts ;)

Just clicked. Why it took them so long to get this going.

Basically IB are trying to "steal" the XF product. Consider it like this, if their claims of intelectual property holds up, this would effectively mean the whole XF platform would be property of IB.

Ill give it to IB, thats an absolutely great idea if your running a business with no ethics. Let someone else develop a "next gen" product for you without paying them a penny.

Shame it won't hold up in UK courts ;)

If that would be, I'm hoping that mike 'n kier have added a '**** the code up' option :S

<sarcasm>Good news, I already own a license of vBulletin. If IB takes the XF platform, I don't need to spend any more money.</sarcasm>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom