Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Paul M complains about not being able to speak his mind here while deleting pro-XF posts on his own forum?
Hypocrite. Oh wait, I mean: that's childish.

Edit: apparently "daddy" ordered him to do it. Even more lame.

Reading his posts over at VB HQ, he seems to be under the impression he has been placed on the equiv of miserable users over here.

Every country protects their citizens (to a certain extent). Hence why I'm asking for the exact reference of UK/EU laws since I'm not familiar with labor law in UK/EU.

Read this link: http://www.fedee.com/hrpitfalls.shtml

The only labour laws that can be applied in the EU are any country specific ones for member states and the EU Directives themselves which would override any lesser benefitting law. If I moved to France and started working then I would be subject to French laws and not UK laws regardless of the Company, whether it is UK, German, Australian or American.

Josh, it's obvious Deebs is not a lawyer. What is the point in asking for law references from him?
We all here just letting our steam out.

No I am not a lawyer/solicitor but I understand what laws protect me whilst being employed in the UK.

When I buy a license tomorrow and the worst situation comes out with IB winning in court (stopping XF from being made)... what would happen to our licenses, would we lose them and our money or would we get a refund?

Hopefully this wont happen and XF will win. :)

When I buy a license tomorrow and the worst situation comes out with IB winning in court (stopping XF from being made)... what would happen to our licenses, would we lose them and our money or would we get a refund?

Hopefully this wont happen and XF will win. :)

I'm not a lawyer or conversant with UK common or commercial law, but IB would appear to me to be shooting some arrows more on business grounds than legal grounds. Buy with confidence, and send a message to IB .... did I mention IB cut down old growth forests?

The best thing we can do is IGNORE VB outside this thread.
Any reference to them being a bad code and a bad company just gives them publicity.

Yes we tell people that XF is good. With reasons why. But not mentioning rubbish. When I recommend a good restaurant I don't mention the greasy dirty place on the other side of town.

There are posts wailing oh we don't know what is the truth.
Well we do know quite a lot.

1. XF wasn't public until a year after KMA left their old company. It's usual to have a contract clause agreed not to publish similar product for a\ year so we can conclude that applied here.

2. Kier has explained several times before this announcement that coders will need to learn very different systems in order to design mods. That means XF is not based on the previous company's code.

3. A number of high level software experts have given details on this thread showing exactly how XF is different code.
Fpr example
I hadn't heard about Xenforo until IB's announcement email arrived.
And now I'm looking at it and I see that Xenforo uses jQuery rather than YUI, has AJAX everywhere it should be, uses TinyMCE rather than a custom bbcode editor, has HTML5, has slightly different PHP requirements...

First glance views as a chartered IT professional with over 15 years experience is that Xenforo is a totally different code base....

IB have just given Xenforo promotion that Xenforo probably could never have afforded.

4. The old company is USA. XF is UK.
It is famously difficult to enforce copyright across international boundaries. the net has always had issues with this and it's never been resolved.

5. Similar cases where a company did sue someone for re-using their software have ended with the company either losing or discontinuing the case. There's a reference on previous page of this thread to an Invision (?) case I think.

I'm not surprised by the announcement.

When I first heard about XenForo my first was reaction was wondering the legal repercussions; true, the interface and features quickly took my attention; but this is a harsh reminder to possible customers and third-party developers, hoping to invest time and money into the product, that the issue is not yet resolved.

I think it was a smart, calculated, and sly move on IB's part. And I hope the XenForo team can come up with a few more words of encouragement on the matter other than the beta release being released tomorrow, because that is the least of my concerns at this point.

That's not how you came across to your friends on IRC the last year or so.

I understand (after reading your other post explaining why you said it) that you want to see some info by this company first, prior to putting the wallet down. But regardless of the sale, trying to take out competition this way is unfair business, it's an open market. The evening before it goes on sale? Really? .. how do YOUUUUU not see that as a douchy action; While I understand what you're trying to explain, I have to agree with your irc-buddies and say that it's not a response we expected from you. But, it's your opinion on the matter, your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom