Interested in a Xenforo Alternative?

I suggested it as a means for you to organize your resources, not as a distribution platform.

Whether GitHub (or any THING) is "cool" is subjective. It serves a completely different purpose than XenForo so you can't really compare the two.
Darn you're right, I might as well just open the flood gates and give up because pirates will be pirates.

I resent everything about that.
If you don't want your stuff pirated, what your doing now is great. You make people pay for some of your addons like the single sign on resource. I've seen that addon on another site though for free. If I were you I'd ask syndol what he's doing to protect his paid add-ons because I haven't seen not even one of his being pirated.

When I say github isn't cool, well it really isn't. Not from a noob point-of-view IMO. If I was a complete noob I'd prefer a forum because then I could watch topics and get alerts on stuff and even be able to provide my own input or ask questions. Can you do that stuff on that site? Probably not and if so, I didn't see it. It's not as user-friendly as xenforo. It's ugly to look at too. It looks like some early 2000 website.

If you don't want your stuff pirated, what your doing now is great. You make people pay for some of your addons like the single sign on resource. I've seen that addon on another site though for free. If I were you I'd ask syndol what he's doing to protect his paid add-ons because I haven't seen not even one of his being pirated.

When I say github isn't cool, well it really isn't. Not from a noob point-of-view IMO. If I was a complete noob I'd prefer a forum because then I could watch topics and get alerts on stuff and even be able to provide my own input or ask questions. Can you do that stuff on that site? Probably not and if so, I didn't see it. It's not as user-friendly as xenforo. It's ugly to look at too. It looks like some early 2000 website.

There is very little that you can do about piracy, and certainly there is nothing you can do that is 100% effective, the fact that Syndol's addons are not being pirated (going by what you said) doesn't mean anything, other than perhaps that pirates have so far not taken an interest in his addons. That's not to say no actions can be taken, in fact I do take actions against piracy, but I won't advertise what those actions may be in public as pirates would use that against me.

You really should stop stating opinion as fact, you saying "github isn't cool" IS an opinion, trying to make it out to be anything else DOES make it hard to take you seriously. And again, GitHub has absolutely nothing to do with XenForo, both sites serve a different purpose, but I had already explained this in my earlier post.

I'm done posting in this thread though, you're obviously just looking for a circlejerk.

There is very little that you can do about piracy, and certainly there is nothing you can do that is 100% effective, the fact that Syndol's addons are not being pirated (going by what you said) doesn't mean anything, other than perhaps that pirates have so far not taken an interest in his addons. That's not to say no actions can be taken, in fact I do take actions against piracy, but I won't advertise what those actions may be in public as pirates would use that against me.

You really should stop stating opinion as fact, you saying "github isn't cool" IS an opinion, trying to make it out to be anything else DOES make it hard to take you seriously. And again, GitHub has absolutely nothing to do with XenForo, both sites serve a different purpose, but I had already explained this in my earlier post.

I'm done posting in this thread though, you're obviously just looking for a circlejerk.
Nope. I was looking of a way to put my resources somewhere other than my own site in case xenforo goes down again either for longer or permanent, you never know. Thanks for the github suggestion but I'd rather post them on my own site before I use a site like that. and as far as piracy goes, I'll just use the attachment manager in xfrocks bd bank manager so that members need a certain amount of points before they can download an attachment. So even if a resource ends up getting redistributed w/o permission, pirated, whatever, at least they contributed some posts to the site first.

If you're looking for support or a place to share your mods, we also have a xenforo section on Admin Talk and would welcome anything that came our way. This is a well established forum, we'll be here with or without you :)
Do you have something like ragtek's who downloaded attachment addon? #1 thing I dislike about the Resource Manager is that you can't tell who downloaded what and when you ask a moderator who downloaded a modification they won't tell you. For instance, when I put up my first resource, which was a skin, it was downloaded 3 times then someone posted the resource on a warez site. If I knew which poster out of the three, I might have been able to guess who did it, but when I asked a moderator at the time they would not tell me who and claimed they didn't know. This is why I'd rather just do it on my own site.

The main problem is that you don't have access to the customer database so you will be serving everyone, not just license holder
and which is the problem?

I´ve been running 2 years a vBulletin nulled version and after that I bought 2 licences.
The same with Xenforo, I want to try the software first, feel the use of it and then buy a licence.

I guess You haven't read the thread. I'm not worried about the forum. I'm worried bout my resources. Once it's gone I'll forget half the stuff I made. I'm putting it all on my own site when I have some free time.

Top Bottom