Instant message with friends online

I'm really just interested in a buddy list bar where people can see which one of their friends in online and can instant message each other easily. Hosting a live chat room for special events would be fun but isn't needed. It's really just the bar I need.
Would widget portal displaying "People you follow" work ?
and then use Conversation from there ?

Just realised what I said in post #147 about page loading performance is wrong...it isn't the 1:1 chat initiation that effects page loading performance, it is the "listener" that is needed to be loaded each time a page loads...a "listener" is what is required to listen for any incoming chat initiations that pops up a msg saying that user xyz wants to have a 1:1 chat with you. The "listener" needs to be pinging every x secs to see if there are any chat requests and not just when a page loads...THAT is the performance impact problem that I would like to find some kind of efficient method for.

Would widget portal displaying "People you follow" work ?
and then use Conversation from there ?

Conversation is too slow. Ive done that here with developers.
Basically the conversation page doesnt refresh. I have to either keep refreshing the page, or keep checking upwards for a PC alert.
When I see the alert I still need to manually refresh the page.
If I'm reading another page - because I dont know if a reply is on the way .. the alert is often overlooked for a while.

Possibly the Live Thread addon if it was applied to PCs might work. But its developer didnt sound very intereted in making PCs go Live.

Just realised what I said in post #147 about page loading performance is wrong...it isn't the 1:1 chat initiation that effects page loading performance, it is the "listener" that is needed to be loaded each time a page loads...a "listener" is what is required to listen for any incoming chat initiations that pops up a msg saying that user xyz wants to have a 1:1 chat with you. The "listener" needs to be pinging every x secs to see if there are any chat requests and not just when a page loads...THAT is the performance impact problem that I would like to find some kind of efficient method for.

What software or addon are you referring to that is doing the "listening"?

Every 1:1 Instant Messaging (IM) application has to "listen" for incoming 1:1 chat requests otherwise you wouldn't know that someone is wanting to have a chat with you...and this is what impacts site performance

Every 1:1 Instant Messaging (IM) application has to "listen" for incoming 1:1 chat requests otherwise you wouldn't know that someone is wanting to have a chat with you...and this is what impacts site performance

But if you use a hosted solution, then this isn't an issue?

Cometchat seems to have a desktop IM which runs off the XF database. Group chatrooms too.
Pro Chat is also v good - no IM though.
Both integrate XF.

Most of the solutions mentioned in this thread suffer from the fact that they rely on Comet long-polling (the "pinging" you described) or the web server itself. Conventional web servers are not designed to handle large amounts of long-lived connections. They'll normally kill over after a dozen or so users. While long-pulling initiates a new request for each upstream message, resulting in several hundred bytes of header data to be generated, transmitted and parsed. That additional latency incurred for a full round trip hurts real-time activity.

A better solution would be to use websockets, but not all browsers support it, so you'd need to gracefully degrade to something like long-polling for those that don't. Unlike traditional AJAX, where each request consists of a round trip which sends and receives data, a web socket sends and receives asynchronously on a single connection, which allows websockets to reuse the same TCP stream, "push" data to the browser and skip redundant HTTP headers.

That said, the most efficient (and probably best) solution would be to use a separate evented i/o server (and by server, I really mean daemon), written in a language better suited for this, to hold conversations in memory and serve the websocket and long-polled HTTP requests.

What was the conclusion from these 8 pages? :/ does anyone use chat in their XF?

I would prefer a chat that was based on contacts I chose. .

this will help more forum members to chat over forum instead on Facebook.

LETS ADMIT GUYS... Some of us
Forum owners hates FB as most forum members tends to chat more on fb

Most of the solutions mentioned in this thread suffer from the fact that they rely on Comet long-polling (the "pinging" you described) or the web server itself. Conventional web servers are not designed to handle large amounts of long-lived connections. They'll normally kill over after a dozen or so users. While long-pulling initiates a new request for each upstream message, resulting in several hundred bytes of header data to be generated, transmitted and parsed. That additional latency incurred for a full round trip hurts real-time activity.

A better solution would be to use websockets, but not all browsers support it, so you'd need to gracefully degrade to something like long-polling for those that don't. Unlike traditional AJAX, where each request consists of a round trip which sends and receives data, a web socket sends and receives asynchronously on a single connection, which allows websockets to reuse the same TCP stream, "push" data to the browser and skip redundant HTTP headers.

That said, the most efficient (and probably best) solution would be to use a separate evented i/o server (and by server, I really mean daemon), written in a language better suited for this, to hold conversations in memory and serve the websocket and long-polled HTTP requests.

Most browsers now support websockets (with the exception of Opera Mini and Android Stock browser, but then of course).

I think a chat buddy bar would be a great option to have! Still haven't found the right tool yet for the job. Anyone else have any success?

Most browsers now support websockets (with the exception of Opera Mini and Android Stock browser, but then of course).

You'd still need to gracefully degrade to something like long-pulling if you wanted to support IE versions < 10, Android (in general), and possibly Safari < 6.0 and two Opera versions back depending on what you're trying to achieve. In which case, you're better off using a separate evented i/o server to do this, as conventional web servers are not designed for long-lived connections.

You'd still need to gracefully degrade to something like long-pulling if you wanted to support IE versions < 10, Android (in general), and possibly Safari < 6.0 and two Opera versions back depending on what you're trying to achieve. In which case, you're better off using a separate evented i/o server to do this, as conventional web servers are not designed for long-lived connections.

I just wanted to point out that specific point. I agree that a separate daemon will be required for this. Probably an official addon, maybe.

I have just had my chat rooms reinstalled after moving servers and the users love the video/audio/text interaction. I tried also getting the 123WebMessenger but there were many issues with users getting blocked by my firewall putting them in the sin bin for an hour. I have now gone to FlashComs for there Site Messenger 1 to 1 chat but that is really slowing my site down although they haven't finished installing it yet and it has been 2 weeks...looks like a kick up the... is needed

What are most people using? Cometchat has a cometservice which supposedly will offload the work so your host isn't affected. Anyone using it?

I'm using Arrowchat and I'm quite happy with it, though my forum is only small. Arrowchat does have an optional push service to offload the work.

I believe Clickfinity is using Cometchat over on the CycleChat forums. It's an opt-in for members rather than everyone having it.

Top Bottom