[Included] Video embedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yeah, so why not make XenForo the first Forum without the need of using strange BB-Codes ?
There should be a way of making things simpler than that ?

So most of us are on the internet for the last 15 years or so, but try to think of yourself being a user who is just starting to use the internet- would that brackets-stuff be self-explanatory ?

It should be made so simple that any granny can use this.

They basically are. You can use the WYSIWYG editor in all browsers, and it has a toolbar that doesn't push through BBCode. Select text, click bold .. as it has always been in word processing programs.

Due to technical limitations and security related reasons, one can only do so much though.

Yeah that is the current default behaviour but others are asking for it to auto embed... Erik is saying he doesn't want this and I back him up...
Oh, I got the impression that it auto-embedded by default and that he wanted it changed. So nevermind me. :p

Personally, I'd want an option - either within the UserCP, the post editor itself, the AdminCP, or a combination of these. My preference is for the media to automatically embed. I'm used to this with vBulletin's AME Media Embedder, and I like the functionality.

Oh, I got the impression that it auto-embedded by default and that he wanted it changed. So nevermind me. :p

Personally, I'd want an option - either within the UserCP, the post editor itself, the AdminCP, or a combination of these. My preference is for the media to automatically embed. I'm used to this with vBulletin's AME Media Embedder, and I like the functionality.

The person so against options is asking that a feature gets added as an option :P...

JK's aside, I agree... this is one of those features I would like to see as a UserCP option with an AdminCP global setting.

The person so against options is asking that a feature gets added as an option :p...

JK's aside, I agree... this is one of those features I would like to see as a UserCP option with an AdminCP global setting.
:p So is that my official nickname now?

I would prefer it to not embed by default.

Sometimes you need to just post a url, for example if embedding isn't allowed for a particular video.

This is where we have a hidden options pull down, on the advanced editor, that contains (at least):

- Convert Smilies [Default: Yes]
- Convert Video [Default: ?]

I see Kier has a preference for Vimeo. I like the way things work there too, it's my favorite. Wish there was a way to only allow my users to upload to one "captive" Vimeo account. Would add another option to have "house" videos without loading on my server.

I see Kier has a preference for Vimeo. I like the way things work there too, it's my favorite. Wish there was a way to only allow my users to upload to one "captive" Vimeo account. Would add another option to have "house" videos without loading on my server.
Hmmm. An interesting idea. And Vimeo do have an API to upload videos, so it's probably feasible technically.

Vimeo has content limits, which is why I prefer YouTube now that it supports HD resolutions and beyond. If you had your users only upload to one Vimeo account I think you'd hit the free limits quite quickly. Local video hosting would probably be a better option, in that case. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom