improve check for repeat alerts

Jake Bunce

I get a situation sometimes where I receive an alert for a watched thread but for whatever reason I neglect to follow through with it and forget about it. Then I don't receive any new alerts because I didn't view the thread yet.

I would like to request that new alerts be allowed if previous alerts have been viewed.

Upvote 16
Is that really how it currently works?

I thought as long as you'd seen the alert you'd then get a new alert. I often have 2 or 3 alerts to our busy threads that I've posted in without having visited the thread in between.

I get a situation sometimes where I receive an alert for a watched thread but for whatever reason I neglect to follow through with it and forget about it. Then I don't receive any new alerts because I didn't view the thread yet.

I would like to request that new alerts be allowed if previous alerts have been viewed.

thanks for this suggestion! (y)

I think this has already been mentioned many many times by other members as well.

It's based on thread read status. If you don't read the thread, duplicate alerts are prevented.

the question is this:
why are repeating alerts (they are in fact not "duplicate", but rather "repeating") prevented based on "read status", when in fact a user is able to "unwatch a thread" ?

:coffee:

1 alert always brings you to the first unread post. Thread with fast replies means you get a ton of alerts. You now have X amount of entry points leading you to Y different points in the thread where only Y(i) and X(i) are the oldest post in the thread.

Thread with fast replies means you get a ton of alerts.

well, this is a philosophical question of what is worse:

- threads with fast replies means you get a ton of alerts.
- threads I am watching but not visiting will not get me any alert when there is a new post.

:coffee:

The current implementation is functional, makes sense, and works for just about every situation. There is a "Watched Threads" link that you can use to see unread threads posted after an alert.

Please note: I like Xenforo's alert system.
But lots of people (including the OP) feel it doesn't work in every situation.

Many people are quite surprised that a Watched thread alert can "expire" (ie. you don't get alerts any more). People don't even know that expired alerts are a possibility - until it happens to them.

Maybe people need some education about Alerts right when they sign up.

xenforo.alerts.disclaimer2.webp

Maybe you should have to miss 3 alerts to stop receiving alerts ?

Maybe there should be another option which is more permanent: Thread Subscription.

What partially exacerbates this problem is that the Red Alert box about New Alerts seems to go away so quickly.

Unread Inbox items last forever.

upload_2013-8-27_18-3-6.webp

How does the Red Alert popup work ?

Seems to me it goes away quickly.

Isn't there a easy solution to this? Just look at the list of Watched Threads and those that have unread posts are ones that you would have had alerts for. So if you've somehow missed the alert or forgotten to read the thread after seeing the alert, you can still see which Watched Threads have new posts in them. Simple. :)

Isn't there a easy solution to this? Just look at the list of Watched Threads and those that have unread posts are ones that you would have had alerts for. So if you've somehow missed the alert or forgotten to read the thread after seeing the alert, you can still see which Watched Threads have new posts in them. Simple. :)

I have 16 pages in my watched threads /all listing.
You'll have to ask Jake why he doesn't like that option.

For infrequent visitors ... I bet you can stop receiving alerts without ever missing an alert !
That is ... if the alerts expire in 60 days ... and you haven't been back in 60 days ... the alert expires before you got a chance to read it !

I have 16 pages in my watched threads /all listing.
You'll have to ask Jake why he doesn't like that option.
You may have 16 pages of Watched Threads but when you look at the list, it will initially show you just the unread watched threads, you don't have to wade through the entire list.

Top Bottom