Impossible to start reading unread thread from first post

No, it's as designed. Clicking on a thread title takes you to the first unread post.
If you want to go to the first post in a thread then you can click on the timestamp under the thread title.
But you're all wrong, clicking the thread title in a thread where you haven't read any posts still sends you to the last page even if there are pages upon pages of posts you haven't read.

Clicking a timestamp to see the first post is just not intuitive at all :(

I consider this a bug, and one that really should be fixed.

But you're all wrong, clicking the thread title in a thread where you haven't read any posts still sends you to the last page even if there are pages upon pages of posts you haven't read.

That happens to me too, but I was told it's most likely because I use the Mark All Forums Read link alot.

Many of us have stated we don't like the way this works, but the devs insist it is the way it's designed to work. :(

That happens to me too, but I was told it's most likely because I use the Mark All Forums Read link alot.

Many of us have stated we don't like the way this works, but the devs insist it is the way it's designed to work. :(
I use the Mark Read link after everytime I view whats new (And open up all the interesting topics), or when I browse the forums that have new posts.

The only time I had the issue was when most people had it, and something that was changed fixed it for me.

Yes, I know that. Clicking the title of a thread will take to the first unread post if every post in that thread did not reach the auto-marking-read date, so if you haven't visited that thread, you will land in the first page in the first post. If the thread reached the auto-marking-read date, then it will take you the first unread post that did not reach the auto-marking-read date even if that post is in the last page.
That's not a bug, it a feature, and it works as designed.
Anyway, I don't like the way it works just as you and many others, but as Peggy said, the devs insist to have it this way.

It's a fantastic feature for users who are active on the site, and have been there since (usually) the beginning to close to it. For example, I love how it works here and it's perfect.

The problem occurs when you join a new site that's already well established and the thread is older than whatever is set under Read Marking Data Lifetime. The user goes to click on it, and even though the user is new and hasn't read it yet, or had the chance to mark the forum(s) read yet, they are thrown to the lasted post in that thread.

The catch here though, if the above were to be fixed, is that you have old threads showing up as "new" even though they are very old, and would likely increase the instances of thread resurrection which is usually discouraged.

At least that is where I'm seeing a problem arise.

The problem occurs when you join a new site that's already well established and the thread is older than whatever is set under Read Marking Data Lifetime. The user goes to click on it, and even though the user is new and hasn't read it yet, or had the chance to mark the forum(s) read yet, they are thrown to the lasted post in that thread.
That was true with earlier versions of XenForo, but it's not true now. If the system has no read marking data for you, as in the case you describe, you will be directed to the first post in the thread.

That was true with earlier versions of XenForo, but it's not true now. If the system has no read marking data for you, as in the case you describe, you will be directed to the first post in the thread.
Oh, it was changed? Well then I've got no problems with the mark-read system then. :whistle:

That's much better, but still, the problem will occur when someone has read marking data in the system, just as it happened with Garamond (post #321), right?

When clicking on "The last" I get the very last page of the topic and sometimes the topic is so populated that the first unread message is earier - on previous page. So I dont know if I read the topic through

When clicking on "The last" I get the very last page of the topic and sometimes the topic is so populated that the first unread message is earier - on previous page. So I dont know if I read the topic through
I've merged your thread with this one.

Please read through it, it should help you understand how the system works.

I've merged your thread with this one.

Please read through it, it should help you understand how the system works.

Thank you but the users can't read this for understanding. Should I say my users that "The last" will get them to the real last page and if they want to monitor the topic through they should avoid pressing that link?

yeah seems to be still happening with threads i never read before and never hit mark all threads read either in v1.01 http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-never-read-unread-threads.14972/#post-196166

Thanks, but 17 pages to read only to find out it's the default way for Xenforo to handle threads I have never read before by directing me to the last post of a multi-page thread. Would be nice if there was a per user preference option to be able to select which method gets used

i.e.

Unread Thread Title Marker
- Xenforo default - clicking thread title directs to first unread thread/last post regardless if thread has been read before
- Alternate - clicking thread title directs to first page

so am I correct all i need to do is remove this /unread for thread_list_item template ?

Code:
            <h3 class="title">
                <xen:if is="{$thread.canInlineMod}"><input type="checkbox" name="threads[]" value="{$thread.thread_id}" class="InlineModCheck" id="inlineModCheck-thread-{$thread.thread_id}" data-target="#thread-{$thread.thread_id}" title="{xen:phrase select_thread}: '{$thread.title}'" /></xen:if>
                <xen:if is="{$showSubscribeOptions}"><input type="checkbox" name="thread_ids[]" value="{$thread.thread_id}" /></xen:if>
                <!-- TODO: Thread prefix here -->
                <a href="{xen:link "threads{xen:if '{$thread.isNew} AND {$thread.haveReadData}', '/unread'}", $thread}"
                    title="{xen:if '{$thread.isNew} AND {$thread.haveReadData}', {xen:phrase go_to_first_unread_message}}"
                    class="{xen:if $thread.hasPreview, PreviewTooltip}"
                    data-previewUrl="{xen:if $thread.hasPreview, {xen:link threads/preview, $thread}}">{xen:helper wrap, $thread.title, 50}</a>
                <xen:if is="{$thread.isNew}"><a href="{xen:link threads/unread, $thread}" class="unreadLink" title="{xen:phrase go_to_first_unread_message}"></a></xen:if>
            </h3>
so change

Code:
<a href="{xen:link "threads{xen:if '{$thread.isNew} AND {$thread.haveReadData}', '/unread'}", $thread}"

to

Code:
<a href="{xen:link "threads{xen:if '{$thread.isNew} AND {$thread.haveReadData}', '/'}", $thread}"

I found this feature a little odd at first as I was used to other forum software which causes you to load the first post upon clicking the link but it actually works really well for me now. I find it quite annoying on other forums where I have to guess which page I was up to, then keep moving back and forth until I find the post I was at. It's especially annoying in quick moving threads as you can't even guess the right page number from the thread listing as they normally only display the first and last few pages.

But yeah takes a bit of getting used to.

But a lot of forum users will not realise that, they tend to gravitate towards the simplest option. Obviously though that does vary by niche and personal preference though. Would be interesting to see if it would be easy to make it a user changeable option.

He wants to re-read the thread. By jumping directly to the first page, first post. And not where he left off.

You can click on the timestamp below the thread title to load it normally.

Yeah, I agree with the OP. I figured out the timestamp thing, but it's a hidden secret. I kinda wish thread behavior would be what it was with vb.

I will admit to being new to XF features, but geeked up in most technical areas. I am 2nd in command of an XF site, after many years of being a vB user. It is a Sports Forum and I'd like to make what we call Game-Day Threads "live", so that members don't have to click refresh hundreds of times during commentary occurring as the game progresses. I don't want it for the entire Forum, just for selected threads that are following games in progress. The feature was available in vB, so surely XF nust have it. Any 411 on this would be greatly appreciated. Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge about this excellent Product, I'm learning. Thanks much.

One notice is when you open any popular thread of 20 pages, it will go directly to 1st page. Does it have any option to make automatically last page (for example- 20 page instead we already read 1st page all over again)...

Top Bottom