• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Ignore What's New by Waindigo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent release. We had something similar developed when we were on vBulletin previously but lost it when we migrated to XenForo. Albeit ours was not as advanced as this and was hacked hardcoded to the system core. I found this add-on as a result of being asked to look into replacing the old functionality that our members now starting to miss after nearly 2 months on XF.

My company is willing to support this add-on financially. We would like to see the following specifications added to its next major release:
  • Ability to customise usergroups with permission to ignore nodes & forums
  • Ability to customise individual nodes & forums that can be set to ignored state
  • Ability to change ignore state dynamically from within nodes & forums (addition of a button next to "mark read" with same or similar function method perhaps)
  • Optimisation of add-on to reduce its processing requirement, especially for larger boards
  • Expansion of admin configurable options via ACP
Depending on the development costs I would be happy for the release to be made public for use of all XF members. If there are others interested in seeing this add-on being developed and maintained, and would like to join me in supporting the developer financially, perhaps you can make yourself known forthwith.

Anthony, please send me a private message to discuss costs.

In response to your feature requests:

Ability to customise usergroups with permission to ignore nodes & forums
To add permissions to ignore forums should be very easy to add on. By design, the add-on actually only allows for forums. To make it work for nodes, which implies that the ignore would apply to children of those nodes, would take a bit longer - assuming would include this additional feature as an option in the ACP.

Ability to customise individual nodes & forums that can be set to ignored state
Very easy. This would presumably be done through the nodes list in the ACP.

Ability to change ignore state dynamically from within nodes & forums (addition of a button next to "mark read" with same or similar function method perhaps)
Again, pretty easy. I like your idea of where this would go and following a similar process, although would you ever want to ignore all forums?

Optimisation of add-on to reduce its processing requirement, especially for larger boards
This might actually take longer due to the addition of the above features, but is definitely do-able. Shouldn't be too difficult though.

Expansion of admin configurable options via ACP
Have discussed some above. What else did you have in mind?

Depending on the development costs I would be happy for the release to be made public for use of all XF members. If there are others interested in seeing this add-on being developed and maintained, and would like to join me in supporting the developer financially, perhaps you can make yourself known forthwith.

Quite simply, I will charge by the hour. It is unlikely that I would allow for someone to pay for all of the development costs and not release to the public. I intend to try and support the community as much as possible, providing my costs are covered. If the costs cannot be met or if there are a number of people willing to help financially, then I would consider releasing as a paid add-on (at least initially) to cover the costs, but that is higher risk for me and it would also delay the release.

Finally, please also bear in mind that this add-on is NOT free for commercial use anyway, although anyone who contributes significantly towards new features will be given a commercial licence for free.

Great addon...I have a mixed community where there is one forum that users either want to see or don't want to see so this is great...thanks

One thing, I have pages and hidden forums and work in progress forums that all have a display order of greater then 99 or selected to "Not Display in Node List", is there anyway not to display these in the list?

Never mind, I found a better way...I think...and that is to just limit the user's choices just to the forums that they may want to ignore by placing:
Code:
<xen:if is="in_array({$node.node_id}, array(15, 18, 21, 26, 70, 80, 93))">
Above the:
Code:
<li class="_depth{$node.depth}">
in the waindigo_account_ignore_whats_new template and naturally a closing "if" tag as well.

This just displays to the user a choice of 7 forums that they can elect to ignore or not

Great addon...I have a mixed community where there is one forum that users either want to see or don't want to see so this is great...thanks

Thanks for the comments.

One thing, I have pages and hidden forums and work in progress forums that all have a display order of greater then 99 or selected to "Not Display in Node List", is there anyway not to display these in the list?

If you set a node as a "Private node" then it won't appear in the list.

Never mind, I found a better way...I think...and that is to just limit the user's choices just to the forums that they may want to ignore by placing...

As discussed previously, this is generally unsafe, although, as also discussed, this is hardly a big deal with this add-on!

Yes Mate, you're right, I don't think there is any "Safety" issues with limiting it...pretty stupid if they want to figure out a way to bypass it so they can not see posts in the What's New.

The reason I said this is that I also have a lot of XF pages which of course are displayed as nodes but have no effect on What's New so it just confuses the user unless you at least cut them out of the list

The reason I said this is that I also have a lot of XF pages which of course are displayed as nodes but have no effect on What's New so it just confuses the user unless you at least cut them out of the list

Makes sense. It should really only show Forums and Categories. I'll bear that in mind for the next major release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom