I used Vbulletin3.8, I'm trying to build a new forum with Xenforo.

Nostalgia

hello.
I used vbulletin3.8.
Now I'm trying to build a new forum with Xenforo.

I am not a programming expert.
I'm just a person who knows a little bit about HTML.
I had a good understanding of the internal structure of Vbulletin3.8 and was quite good at using it.

Question 1:
I've never used Xenforo before. Will I be able to use Xenforo well if I'm good at using Vbulletin3.8?

Question 2:
Are there any similarities in usage or internal structure between Xenforo and Vbulletin3.8?

Thank you to everyone who answers or contributes to this question.
I hope you all have a happy day.

The underlying concepts are likely similar but the styling, templates, code, etc. are different.

The demo will help you get an idea.

"concepts are likely similar" This part reassures me.
and “but the styling, templates, code, etc. are different.” I like this part too.
Vbulletin's styling and templates felt too old and inconvenient to use, so they needed a lot of revision.
I've been visiting the Xenforo site a lot lately and am very satisfied with its style.
Thank you.

You should feel right at home here with Xenforo and the brilliantly talented community who are always willing to help out a fellow admin.

With regards to styling, you can take a look at the styles on offer in the Resources for some off-the-peg styles that can dramatically change the look and perhaps give you more of what you desire. Checkout the links to sites in signatures of members posts and they may give you some ideas.

I started using VB in 2003. Unfortunately, it got bought out by a big crap company who ran it into the ground many years ago. Fortunately, XF was formed and we switched to that. Our forum dominates, thanks to these folks.

My 2 cents on VB- https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/5519cc490000ff0002d93403
Wow, I too have used V* from 2003 to 2015.
Unfortunately, the executives of the V* company seem to be stuck in 2003.
I had two V* licenses, but now I have thrown them in the trash without hesitation.
How fortunate we are to have the developers of Xenforo.

You should feel right at home here with Xenforo and the brilliantly talented community who are always willing to help out a fellow admin.

With regards to styling, you can take a look at the styles on offer in the Resources for some off-the-peg styles that can dramatically change the look and perhaps give you more of what you desire. Checkout the links to sites in signatures of members posts and they may give you some ideas.
Having used V* for over 10 years, I have always felt grateful to the developers who serve the community.
Although I am not a developer, it was a happy time because I had their help while refining and creating V*.
Now I can have the pleasure of going on a treasure hunt, searching through the countless resources created by the developers in Xenforo.
Thanks for the advice.

I have just migrated my Vbulletin site to Xenforo's Cloud. Paid for the migration service and all went well. Some of the user/forum permissions needed some changes but pretty doable.

When it comes to migration, Xenforo's system seems to have some similarities to V*. I think that is a very advantageous point for me, who is starting Xenforo for the first time.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

hello.
I used vbulletin3.8.
Now I'm trying to build a new forum with Xenforo.

I am not a programming expert.
I'm just a person who knows a little bit about HTML.
I had a good understanding of the internal structure of Vbulletin3.8 and was quite good at using it.

Question 1:
I've never used Xenforo before. Will I be able to use Xenforo well if I'm good at using Vbulletin3.8?

Question 2:
Are there any similarities in usage or internal structure between Xenforo and Vbulletin3.8?

Thank you to everyone who answers or contributes to this question.
I hope you all have a happy day.
It doesn't take much time to learn it, it's really easy to find a configuration and understand its purpose. Here in this forum, you will find many people who will answer even the most basic questions without making you feel out of place. Plus, if you choose XF, you're standing on the shoulders of giants, so you won't regret it.

Having used V* for over 10 years, I have always felt grateful to the developers who serve the community.
Although I am not a developer, it was a happy time because I had their help while refining and creating V*.
Now I can have the pleasure of going on a treasure hunt, searching through the countless resources created by the developers in Xenforo.
XenForo's founders were previously on the vB team, so some of the general concepts of forum layout are still in place. I used vB on the admin side from 2004 onward, and ended up being stuck on vB 3.7 as I had modified it so heavily to work with a high-traffic forum that applying those changes to 3.8 would have been tedious.

XF was newly created with 1.0, and rewritten with 2.0 (the backend had changed based on what the developers learned in their first version, partly to make it more flexible for future development). I think as you dive into the admin side, things are much easier to work with than vB. As one example, the permissions system in vB was always a nightmare to work with and often needed a lot of trial and error to make it work as we intended. Once you learn XF's much simpler permissions system, it is way more easier to work with. XF's template/styling system is also more advanced than vB's was, and I've been able to create new style variations much easier than in the past, and have even written some of my own add-ons to customize it.

Once you start using XF regularly, you can appreciate how well it works. And with the hundreds of add-ons and dozens of styles, along with numerous tips buried in the forums, there is a lot a person can do to customize a forum easily to their needs.

Question 2:

It's because of the similarities that I made the switch to Xenforo rather than Invision. I was comparing the two at the time, and found Xenforo's a lot more intuitive after two decades of vBulletin experience.

There's minor things you have to adjust to, like the different templates and its naming. But it's very minor. I adjusted to it fairly easily and feel I know Xenforo as much as I knew vBulletin.

With the sale discount as well, there's no better time to make the switch!

I migrated from vB 3.8 to XF a few years ago. I miss vBAdvanced, but XF node/widget system is pretty comparable (and more powerful) once you figure it out. My forum members made the transition easy enough - which is nice.

It doesn't take much time to learn it, it's really easy to find a configuration and understand its purpose. Here in this forum, you will find many people who will answer even the most basic questions without making you feel out of place. Plus, if you choose XF, you're standing on the shoulders of giants, so you won't regret it.
What impressed me the most while learning Vb for a long time was the help of many developers without expecting anything in return.
When planning a new forum, I chose Xenforo because of the participation of many developers and the amazing resources they have built.
I'm planning to install Xenforo in a few days, but I'm already very excited.
Thank you very much for your kind advice.

XenForo's founders were previously on the vB team, so some of the general concepts of forum layout are still in place. I used vB on the admin side from 2004 onward, and ended up being stuck on vB 3.7 as I had modified it so heavily to work with a high-traffic forum that applying those changes to 3.8 would have been tedious.

XF was newly created with 1.0, and rewritten with 2.0 (the backend had changed based on what the developers learned in their first version, partly to make it more flexible for future development). I think as you dive into the admin side, things are much easier to work with than vB. As one example, the permissions system in vB was always a nightmare to work with and often needed a lot of trial and error to make it work as we intended. Once you learn XF's much simpler permissions system, it is way more easier to work with. XF's template/styling system is also more advanced than vB's was, and I've been able to create new style variations much easier than in the past, and have even written some of my own add-ons to customize it.

Once you start using XF regularly, you can appreciate how well it works. And with the hundreds of add-ons and dozens of styles, along with numerous tips buried in the forums, there is a lot a person can do to customize a forum easily to their needs.
Many people who also used Vb seem to have passionate memories of the later versions of Vb3.*.
I am also like that.
I feel that Xenforo has developed a more intuitive, more efficient, and new, future-oriented system structure while maintaining the most powerful advantages of the existing VB.
I'm planning to install xenforo in a few days, and I think I'll be able to get a good feel for it, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Thank you very much for your kind and detailed explanation.

It's because of the similarities that I made the switch to Xenforo rather than Invision. I was comparing the two at the time, and found Xenforo's a lot more intuitive after two decades of vBulletin experience.

There's minor things you have to adjust to, like the different templates and its naming. But it's very minor. I adjusted to it fairly easily and feel I know Xenforo as much as I knew vBulletin.

With the sale discount as well, there's no better time to make the switch!
I completely agree with what you said.
While planning a new forum, I also thought about whether to use Vb as the forum engine or another new engine. I researched engines such as Invision, Vb, and Xenforo, but as you said, the similarity with Vb and resources were the most important. I thought about it point by point and concluded that Xenforo was the only and best choice.
I think your advice from first experience will be of great help to me.
Thank you very much.

I migrated from vB 3.8 to XF a few years ago. I miss vBAdvanced, but XF node/widget system is pretty comparable (and more powerful) once you figure it out. My forum members made the transition easy enough - which is nice.
Actually, I haven't used Vb for about 3 years, but hearing the word "Vbadvanced" was a new experience.
I'm looking forward to the new experiences that Xenforo's new system will create.
Thank you very much for your advice. :)

Actually, I haven't used Vb for about 3 years, but hearing the word "Vbadvanced" was a new experience.
I'm looking forward to the new experiences that Xenforo's new system will create.
Thank you very much for your advice. :)
You know if you press the +quote at the bottom of each post you can multiquote and only reply once instead of 4 times. just saying.

Top Bottom