I think the PC is on its way out

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree cloud based computers are likely to be the future, currently there are too many issues with connectivity for that to be plausible.

At least as far as portable computers (Used loosely: laptops, ultrabooks/netbooks, smartphones and tablets) there are just way too many areas where spectrum is inconsistent, non-existent or unreliable. There is also the issue of outages (Which are frequent due to weather and just general decay) which will make accessing your information difficult.

There is also a major difference between a corporation using cloud based computers, and your average user using one. Corporations often pay high fees for management and redundancy of their data, whereas your average user will not be doing so, or more likely unable to do so. The cost of cloud based computers will cost less as far as hardware is concerned, but will have more fees and cost more in the long run, which will make adoption of it in your average home unlikely.

I won't deny it'll come about some day, but there are limitations due to cost and connectivity preventing it from being adopted mainstream.

The important thing to remember with VDI and SaaS is that it looks like a PC and does what you typically do with your PC, it just costs ALOT less. If/when it breaks, you replace it for $100, not $1000. Not to mention no reloading, no restoring, no recovering. Just re-enter the IP address of your VDI server and you're back.

Privacy is not a concern. These same configurations are used by the US military across multiple security levels with no compromise or data spillage. You are free to encrypt your storage space if you wish.

Don't worry. Over the next 10 years, you'll slowly be migrated over. Anyone using Office 360 at work? SaaS, right? Your iPhone and iPad are on the cloud already. Drop box is cloud storage. These online picture sharing sites? Cloud storage. You're 1/10th of the way there and you never realized it.

"I think the PC is on its way out"
- the title is too strong.

I think the glory days of utter dominance of the PC is on its way out.
- that's more how I see it.

The important thing to remember with VDI and SaaS is that it looks like a PC and does what you typically do with your PC, it just costs ALOT less. If/when it breaks, you replace it for $100, not $1000. Not to mention no reloading, no restoring, no recovering. Just re-enter the IP address of your VDI server and you're back.

Looks doesn't mean crap...it cannot do what I want it to do and it never will. That is why it costs less...upfront...then you have to pay monthly for your data, which is your own...which basically means if you are poor this month your data is held hostage. Also you let me know when you have crysis 2 running @ max settings on your vdi saas crap and hand shot videos or it didn't happen, I also would like to see that happening from a distance of over 100miles from the hardware..mind you with a comparable setup on a machine with 16 times the ram of the average persons pc and dedicated physical disks for my VMDKs and I can barely run cod on lowest setting and crysis is a failboat (and my vmware has physical access to my video card)...this machine and its virtual disks are withing arms reach and the network factor is not even included because it is all local. Introduce layers of network tunnels and there is timing issues...even if you could get the game to run, it would be horrible on multiplayer online because of all the stacked response times in the chain from key press to player move.

I would start doing heroin or smoking crack before I let someone I have never met manage pictures of my family or banking records or the disk or hardware they sit on...just for the simple fact that only a crack head would think this is smart and trust a system or a stranger with their family and privacy...what you do at work is one thing...it has nothing to do with what I am doing at home.

Like I said before...the day this all happens is the day I walk away from computers (or what would be left of them), there is nothing to learn or do if you don't have a real computer, and you have to have a subscription to access your own data...yeah no thanks. At that point your treated like end point sheeple.

Again all the geniuses out there forget about the poor people who scrape for a computer and have never had the internet because they can't afford a subscription from a provider on a regular basis or for people in rental properties that have the same wires run in the building from 40-50 years ago and can't even hit 10mbit down even when paying for a 50mbit (I was one of them, and had to rewire the entire house myself and could only do that because it is my property, if it was someone else renting a house from someone they would not have that option).

If you drop the I off of VDI that would be a step up.

I would like to see a real argument for this being a good thing besides from someone in the military or government...and it has to be based in reality.

"I think the PC is on its way out"
- the title is too strong.

I think the glory days of utter dominance of the PC is on its way out.
- that's more how I see it.

All labels....either way it is an opinion...I stopped using xbox360 so I can say xbox360 is on it's way out, but it is only true for me as it's successor has not been released yet...to me ps3 is already dead...but people will argue with that as well, because it is not dead for them. People need to stop thinking what they do is the what the world does.

Touch devices, smart phones and the like all have their place, however they are supplementary to the power and efficiency that a PC or laptop provide. Is the "PC" (including laptops, notebooks, netbooks) dying? Nah....not in the foreseeable future.

New Windows 8 marks impending death of the desktop as we know it

Even Microsoft, a company that made billions by slapping its software into almost every PC on the planet, is now betting that nobody wants a computer they can’t carry around in their pocket.

Even in its beta stage, Windows 8 runs surprisingly smoothly. Whether it actually lets Microsoft catch up with Apple and Google in the mobile race is yet to be seen, but the arrival of Windows 8 does mark a milestone in computing: a moment when even the desktop’s most vocal cheerleader admitted that mobile is where the money is. Years from now, you may still own a desktop, but the software on it will be derivative of the software on your mobile device, not the other way around.

source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-of-the-desktop-as-we-know-it/article2373065/

No Start Button on Windows 8 ? /fail.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

PCs are no less common today than they were 10 years ago. But new markets are emerging like mobile computing. The emergence of new markets is not zero-sum with old markets.

If you are going to argue zero-sum then you have to look at functionality. If new computing devices can replace old computing devices then you have zero sum. But right now mobile devices are extremely limited in what they can do when compared to the more general purpose desktop PC. Of course there are many PC users whose needs nowhere near match the power of their desktop machine, like the grandmother who only checks her email. Those people can replace their PC with a phone which is zero-sum, but they aren't really PC users to begin with. The rest of us resent being grouped in with Grandma. To my ears these arguments sound like, "you can do web programming on an iPhone because Grandma can check her email." O_o

Of course there are many PC users whose needs nowhere near match the power of their desktop machine, like the grandmother who only checks her email. Those people can replace their PC with a phone which is zero-sum, but they aren't really PC users to begin with.
By your definition, the number of true "PC users" is 10% of the current desktop users.
As I said previously, I will always be a "PC Desktop User", but most won't.
Probably every one who posted in this thread will be a "PC User", as they all fit into the 10%

By your definition, the number of true "PC users" is 10% of the current desktop users.
As I said previously, I will always be a "PC Desktop User", but most won't.
Probably every one who posted in this thread will be a "PC User", as they all fit into the 10%
Why do you care if your desktop runs on a local PC or on a thin client using a virtual desktop as long as it performs the same functions with the same performance?

Why do you care if your desktop runs on a local PC or on a thin client using a virtual desktop as long as it performs the same functions with the same performance?
PRIVACY....frankly if it breathes I don't trust it....that does include my personal files being managed by a person I have never met. It is a garbage needless idea for home computer users...besides I have a thin client already otherwise known as my digital cable box. It isn't very useful without a hardwired connection to my isp... so on that note...excluding power at your residence...how many failpoints do I have to worry about with my "non-pc" even before I turn it on...let's count.....isp issues.. random car accident taking out a node, propagation issues, modem device failure, network connection issues due to weather ...basically anything that messes up my internet messes up me being able to use a computer. Yah that's useful. Anyways I'll skip past the issues that arise from using this non-pc hardware because it has already failed as a reliable device in my opinion so any arguments for it already have no weight and hold no water.

I wouldn't care.
So you think I'll be able to edit HD video with Vegas Video over the Internet ?
LOL no not in real time at least and even if they pulled it off...you do the math and figure out how much data an uncompressed video stream from a live device to your computer is sending per second...and then subtract that from your internet UPSTREAM (because you would have to essentially send that stream to where ever your desktop really is.) and then remember that you would also be using your downstream to view what your desktop is doing somewhere else in the world. So no it is not happening....this idea is all about a few select people pocking massive amounts of money pushing the "new thing" and fuxorcising the rest of the people.

I think a PC in the home is slowly dying. A PC at work and for those at home who work from home then I think it has a long life left yet.

PC = Super Powerful Computer that can get a lot of the heavier/resource intensive processes done easily. Private, itt's 100% yours, and not to mention it has no screen size limit...

Handheld/Portable Device/Mobile = Good for on-the-go general browsing or fun applications, may even help you run your business or work on-the-go. Screen is limited to what consumers feel is portable(probably something that can fit in your pocket or at least in a small case.) You will be holding this device, any heat, malfunctions, etc. will affect you.

Cloud = No privacy. Makes Hackers' jobs easier by putting all the information in one place instead of separate homes. Will never allow Mobile devices to surpass the raw power of PCs.

I wouldn't care.
I set up VDI environments where defense contractors are able to do complex 3D modeling, so yes.

As for privacy and security, the cloud is far superior than your standard home computer. Look at who the top cloud providers are - Amazon, Microsoft, Google, CSC, Salesforce.Com, IBM, and Verizon. These are companies that already deal with privacy and security as part of their core businesses.

I can tell you for a stone cold fact that within the storage clouds I have implemented, your data and privacy would be far more secure than on your home computer. I perform that same kind of "code blue" data spillage testing between users as I do between different level of classified data in defense and government customers.

What would I personally look for from a cloud provider to feel comfortable with them?

1. Just as with any business I use, you may not sell my name or phone number to anyone. You do not data mine your customer base and you do not sell their information.
2. Data encryption on the spindle and data encryption at rest (i.e. tape backups)
3. Support for user-encrypted filesystems

With that in place, I'd have no concerns storing a gif of my signature, my SS and birth date and all my credit card numbers on the cloud storage. Your home computer is far more likely to be hacked than Salesforce.Com.

LOL no not in real time at least and even if they pulled it off...you do the math and figure out how much data an uncompressed video stream from a live device to your computer is sending per second...and then subtract that from your internet UPSTREAM (because you would have to essentially send that stream to where ever your desktop really is.) and then remember that you would also be using your downstream to view what your desktop is doing somewhere else in the world. So no it is not happening....this idea is all about a few select people pocking massive amounts of money pushing the "new thing" and fuxorcising the rest of the people.

VDI doesn't use uncompressed video streams. Thats nuts.

MS introduced RemoteFX, which provides the ability to present a virtualized instance of a physical GPU into multiple Windows 7 VMs. This provides virtual machines with access to the physical GPU, enabling hardware-accelerated rich graphics scenarios such as 3D rendering and game play.

Citrix used HDX and ICA. HDX/ICA technology provides network and performance optimizations to deliver the best user experience over any network, including low bandwidth and high latency WAN connections.Think its too slow? How about a demo?

VMware View uses the PCoIP protocol which compresses, encrypts and encodes the entire computing experience at the data center and transmits it ‘change pixels only’ across any standard IP network to stateless PCoIP zero clients. PCoIP is implemented in silicon for hardware accelerated performance, and in software in VMware View. It supports high resolution, full frame rate 3D graphics and HD media, multiple large displays, full USB peripheral connectivity, and high definition audio, over high latency, low bandwidth connections.

Please understand the technology in use before making false statements.

I set up VDI environments where defense contractors are able to do complex 3D modeling, so yes.

As for privacy and security, the cloud is far superior than your standard home computer. Look at who the top cloud providers are - Amazon, Microsoft, Google, CSC, Salesforce.Com, IBM, and Verizon. These are companies that already deal with privacy and security as part of their core businesses.

I can tell you for a stone cold fact that within the storage clouds I have implemented, your data and privacy would be far more secure than on your home computer. I perform that same kind of "code blue" data spillage testing between users as I do between different level of classified data in defense and government customers.

What would I personally look for from a cloud provider to feel comfortable with them?

1. Just as with any business I use, you may not sell my name or phone number to anyone. You do not data mine your customer base and you do not sell their information.
2. Data encryption on the spindle and data encryption at rest (i.e. tape backups)
3. Support for user-encrypted filesystems

With that in place, I'd have no concerns storing a gif of my signature, my SS and birth date and all my credit card numbers on the cloud storage. Your home computer is far more likely to be hacked than Salesforce.Com.
VDI doesn't use uncompressed video streams. Thats nuts.

MS introduced RemoteFX, which provides the ability to present a virtualized instance of a physical GPU into multiple Windows 7 VMs. This provides virtual machines with access to the physical GPU, enabling hardware-accelerated rich graphics scenarios such as 3D rendering and game play.

Citrix used HDX and ICA. HDX/ICA technology provides network and performance optimizations to deliver the best user experience over any network, including low bandwidth and high latency WAN connections.Think its too slow? How about a demo?

VMware View uses the PCoIP protocol which compresses, encrypts and encodes the entire computing experience at the data center and transmits it ‘change pixels only’ across any standard IP network to stateless PCoIP zero clients. PCoIP is implemented in silicon for hardware accelerated performance, and in software in VMware View. It supports high resolution, full frame rate 3D graphics and HD media, multiple large displays, full USB peripheral connectivity, and high definition audio, over high latency, low bandwidth connections.

Please understand the technology in use before making false statements.

Anyways...your talking to someone who uses this in their home already....difference is the server with the desktops on it is less than 100 feet away and functions on a gigabit local. Please connect to your example desktop again and record from a hardline connection to the internet....i bet i can still see what looks like polling.

Besides, You totally ignored the main question I was responding to....VEGAS VIDEO google it
I wouldn't care.

and yes that demo is horrible....if that was my normal desktop....I would find someone responsible for my slow desktop and throw my thin client at their face..then it would be worth something.. (I am being stupid there....it is useful but has it's place...you see that choppyness.... that is what I am talking about...that makes it useless to me as a replacement for anything.)

And also like I said this is about sales and profits, not what is better for me the end user....so where would I connect my hdmi capture card, cable card, broadcast monitor, and editing hardware? And how would I install the drivers for them....here you tell me if I can use these at 100% http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/, I have thousands invested in their products so like I said, not letting me use this hardware is not really saving me money. If I can't use them, I pretty much have thousands of dollars of scrap and would then need to build a real studio at the tune of about $100,000 simply because it would take that much to replace my pc and video hardware alone.

That demo was from a home user to his corporate VDI account using a tethered iPhone 3G. When it comes to low bandwidth/high latency, thats as bad as it gets short of no connection at all, and it still managed that type of performance.

Since you didn't like the worse case scenario, how about typical user case:
This is a Win7 Desktop delivered with XenDesktop 4 running in my home lab and accessed in the Office. Traffic goes from my office network in Switzerland to the UK - from the UK back to Switzerland to my ADLS connection at home

With a Teradici PCoIP client, you can plug anything into your local zero client just like you would a PC. You VDI desktop would detect all hardware. Performance of VMware View with PCoIP to a Teradici zero client is flat out sick over something like Verizon FIOS or AT&T Uverse.You wouldn't be able to tell you aren't on a PC.

The desktop image is still Windows. You can install any software or driver you want.

So what was the problem again?

we have no fiber in my state (one corner does where the average person is making hundreds of thousands to millions a year but it is not happening for the rest of us).....also what is the distance from you to your server...also please dont use a camera...please use software to record your full screen video in hd and switch back and forth and also start running other tasks whole that is playing.

problem...where are my pci slots?

Uverse is slow in my state, and fios wont happen because of isp agreements with city/state officials at least not until these contracts expire. So this is all shoulda coulda woulda stuff.

...tethered iPhone 3G. When it comes to low bandwidth/high latency, thats as bad as it gets short of no connection at all, and it still managed that type of performance.

....flat out sick over something like Verizon FIOS or AT&T Uverse.
I'm guessing that you live in a city?

I work in a small town of 10,000 people and we have a 50meg connection via Comcast business. Awesome, that should work. (y)

However I live about 2-3 miles from "downtown" and I'm right on the edge of highspeed coverage. And by "highspeed" I mean a crappy 1.5-3 meg DSL connection that goes down every few hours. Go another mile further out and you're stuck with dial up. :mad: BTW I don't live out in the "sticks" either.

Until the whole country is "plugged in" this just isn't viable. Plus I'm guessing that the backbone lines would also have to be upgraded/expanded as the bandwidth increase would be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom