how to set e-mail alert for all users ?

erich37

how to activate the setting for all my members, so that they will receive an e-mail when they create or reply to a thread?

------------------------------------------
Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
  • and receive email notifications of replies
--------------------------------------------

That is for new registrations only.

Not a bug.

For existing members you will need to run this query:
Code:
UPDATE xf_user_option
SET default_watch_state = 'watch_email'

I do not understand what you mean for "new registrations only" ? Why should a new user be notified, but an existing user not be notified?

The best would be to have this option being ACTIVATED by DEFAULT.
If a user wants to deactivate this option, then he could turn it off.

Many thanks for help.

Erich, we've been over this many times before.

Those options are, as the text implies, for new registrations only.
If you had set that originally before opening the forum for registrations, then all users would have that option set.

However, it doesn't prevent them from changing it themselves from their account settings.

For existing users you will need to run that query using phpMyAdmin.

If you can provide cPanel login access, I'd be more than happy to run the query for you.

If you had set that originally before opening the forum for registrations, then all users would have that option set.

O.K. so you are saying new members have this option activated as per default ?

When checking in ACP for a specific member-profile, I can not find this option for that member in the "ACP Preferences"-Tab.
Is this the "Receive Site Mailings" at the "Privacy"-Tab in ACP for that member?

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood previously: I just want to make sure that all new members will receive e-mail notifications - by default - on replies of threads they've created . No need for me to run a query to enable this for existing members.

Question:
how to see in ACP whether a certain user has activated or deactivated this option ?
------------------------
Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
  • and receive email notifications of replies
------------------------

Many Thanks!

Not a bug.

Code:
UPDATE xf_user_option

That's good but what would the query be for all users to watch every thread they post in by default. IE get alerts/email for each thread

Oh dear I hope this is active for all my users.

I imported from a VB install by myself because Floris dumped me in it with no time to arrange anyone else at the time we'd arranged and I'd taken time off work.
I didn't know about any extra bits like this.
Brogan could you check mine please?

For new users you need to set the fields in Options -> User Registration.

For existing members you can run that query, although changing members' preferences is something you need to assess - I personally wouldn't be happy if my account preferences changed without my approval.

i posted in a thread on vb about a year ago, that thread was recently bumped in xenforo but i didnt receive any alert about it.

How can i associate users alerts with posts/threads they made in vbulleting before the swap

still, the question is of how to get all users to receive e-mail notifications (not just alerts) when there are replies on threads they have created.

I see a lot of users receiving replies to the thread they have created, but those users who have created the thread are not returning to the website anymore, because they do not receive any e-mail notification that there is a reply on the thread they have created.

How to set this in the options?

Oh dear I hope this is active for all my users.

I imported from a VB install by myself because Floris dumped me in it with no time to arrange anyone else at the time we'd arranged and I'd taken time off work.
I didn't know about any extra bits like this.
Brogan could you check mine please?

Can you stop talking this bull about what I have done or haven't done for you? Completely uncalled for, not to mention inaccurate to say the least. It's getting tiresome.

My apologies to the original author of this thread.

Can you stop talking this bull about what I have done or haven't done for you? Completely uncalled for, not to mention inaccurate to say the least. It's getting tiresome.

Floris what I said was not at all inaccurate. It's based on hard solid experience.

I still have sympathy with whatever personal or other difficulty led you to make the decision you did. I stood up for you at the time and said publicly on here that you had a perfect right to withddraw your services for your own good reasons.

However although you have the right to stop doing work you were doing up to that point, to do so suddenly, without warning, and cutting all support, does mean you caused considerable problems for others. You have to take responsibility for that result of your decision, not pretend that the impact is not there..

In my case I have your agreement in writing to do my VB import in 3 weeks' time when I had booked time off work to revive my latent board.
But when I contacted you at the start of that week you just wrote back you weren't going to do it. Obviously that left me in a big mess.

While I still support your absolute right to pull your work and services away, and withdraw when you want to, I would like to see you take responsibility for what you did to me and to others. In the circumstances a note of apology helps, and better, it would have been professional and responsible to notify me and others who were depending on you.

Again my apologies to the original author of this thread. I promise I will not post further on this as it is not properly part of your thread.

Not a bug.

Code:
UPDATE xf_user_option

What would the query be if I wanted existing users to watch (receive alerts) all threads they participate in but not be emailed as a default.

I was wondering if you could help me clear all watched threads for a specific user. I'm sure there's a query that can do it, can someone point me in the right direction. :)

Thanks,
Dan

Top Bottom