How does XenForo handle plugins & skins

I think that it should be a combination of sorts for plugin between the vbulletin way and the wordpress way. One click installation from the admin cp with the browsing advantage of vbulletin.org.

What is skinning going to be like? Is it going to be a nightmare like vbulletin 4.0's skinning system? Or will there be a wysiwyg like skinning system?

What about security? Will it be more secure than IPB, vbulletin, mybb, phpbb etc?

Shanj said:
I find CSS a nightmare.
I spend HOURS trying to find which group governs what in the frontend display.

Was this in vBulletin 4? Because that is a horrible use of CSS.

I find it in VB and in other scripts I use too like esyndicat (online searchable database)
Other people's CSS is usually a complete horror with very little info on what each class govedrns. It's a HUGE and INSULTING waste of my time.

Shanj also said:
So I hope there will be a key to the CSS groups.
Like small fragment screenshots would be nice to show what a css group controls.
I think some forum admins will find an illustrated chart that highlights the important CSS classes to be very useful. Maybe in the documentation?

Fervent yes.

On VB 3.7 there was a lovely feature for customising the profile page.
On the page with form textboxes for changing colours there was a mini graphic showing the page itself.
As you entered a colour in the textbox eg #ffcccc the relevant part of the graphic changed to #ffcccc.
It was completely brilliant - lots of fun to do and so immediate and clear.
I don't know who designed it but K&M&A etc will know.[/quote]

Honestly, as long as there is a list of the template locations of all of the CSS classes, I am fine with the instructions:
  1. Install Firebug for Firefox
  2. Right-click on the element you want to change and click "Inspect Element."
  3. Note the CSS selector, then modify the appropriate CSS in the appropriate template, or use style properties if available.
I don't need a complete documentation of what each and every bit of CSS does - I can already find that out myself by using Firebug and reading the CSS. :)

Top Bottom