How Can You Find Out What Variables are Available in Templates?

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
The following is a little presentation I put together during alpha testing, in which I demonstrated how to find all the action-specific variables that are available for you use in templates. Variables such as $xenOptions and $visitor are not included, as they are available on every page regardless of action.

Enjoy :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

:O had I known about Zend studio, I could have saved so many ours back in the day. Thanks for the tutorial Kier, it's exactly the type of think I need to start playing with these things :D

Hi Kier, thanks for posting this useful information. I have one question regarding variable dumps. Is it possible to use FirePHP for dumping variables in browser consoles?

Hi,
I don't know if this is a bug, but while trying to add some info next to the thread title, I went and edited the PAGE_CONTAINER template, adding something along these lines :
Code:
<xen:if is="{$contentTemplate} == 'thread_view'"> by {$thread.username}</xen:if>
Well, no username is written (the condition works because I see the "by") so it seems thread.* data isn't available in the top-level template?

Hi,
I don't know if this is a bug, but while trying to add some info next to the thread title, I went and edited the PAGE_CONTAINER template, adding something along these lines :
Code:
<xen:if is="{$contentTemplate} == 'thread_view'"> by {$thread.username}</xen:if>
Well, no username is written (the condition works because I see the "by") so it seems thread.* data isn't available in the top-level template?

Not all variables available to one template is available to another. {$thread} is available in one, is not necessarily available in another. You must find a variable available in that template to suit your needs, or to modify the PHP via an add-on to inject your variable.

Sometimes you don't have all the variables you need to override a given template, so how do you bring others in?

For instance, I'm overriding page_container_content_title_bar
However, I need to know if the user is the "thread creator".
I've check through all the variables, and it doesn't look like there is anything available

I can get visitor.id, and contentTemplate.template is thread_view

How do I bring other variables that I need into a template, the listener I'm using is as follows:

PHP:
class myPlugin_Listener
    public static function templateHook($hookName, &$contents, array $hookParams, XenForo_Template_Abstract $template) {
        if ($hookName == 'page_container_content_title_bar') {
            $contents = ($template->create('mytemplate', $template->getParams() ));
            //.var_export( $template->getParams()); // add this to the contents to dump out all the available varibles
        }
    }
}

$template->getParams() will get the params of this template, can I somehow just add to this to push through other params?

Since some versions it's possible to use the DEFAULT template to get all available variables!

Replace the template title (to DEFAULT) to get the Debug Output
PHP:
return $this->responseView('Ragtek_AS_View_Article', 'ragtek_article_view', $params);

PHP:
return $this->responseView('Ragtek_AS_View_Article', 'DEFAULT', $params);
shows =>
defaultoutput.webp

Now that is useful, thanks ragtex.
I assume there is a cost (extra sql), or does it pull in the params from the container element if they exist / cached (I guess the only way to know, is to give it a go)

Once again, thanks

The following is a little presentation I put together during alpha testing, in which I demonstrated how to find all the action-specific variables that are available for you use in templates. Variables such as $xenOptions and $visitor are not included, as they are available on every page regardless of action.

Enjoy :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You guys should really start cranking out more sweet vids like this, but for XF2.

Top Bottom