Galaxy S III or iPhone 4S

Really? I used my 3GS for more that two years with no problems or loss of battery life. Flash? Battle fought and flash lost. HTML5 won. (http://mashable.com/2011/11/11/flash-mobile-dead-adobe/). I have no idea what weird restrictions on apps you're talking about.

What is he percentage of internetsites NOW, who are made in html5 and how many still have flash i.e. in the navigation bar?

I do not want to be an innovator, if I am buying an iphone or ipad (i have one buy the way). I just want to surf the internet without having a company who decides what I am allowed to see and use and what not.

If Microsoft would have done the same, eveybody would have screamed. But Apple is sexy, so they can do what hey want to with us?

But Apple is sexy, so they can do what hey want to with us?

Don't forget the devices are thin and they put dumb actors in their commercials wearing these gigantic headphones playing a game on the ipad which defeats the purpose of packing light and promote thinness. Yeah ipad is thin but ensure you pack yourself gigantic headphones to look even cooler and look like a total prat playing some game. Sorry, the ipad commercial for the original ipad really did contradict itself on so many levels you would stop to think... why is he wearing those god forsaken big headphones? #madness

A friend of mine is apple dealer. I can assure you, that many iphones went for exchange because the battery lasted after 2 years not long enough anymore. Apples policy in Europe: ( official answer to costumers) buy a new iphone.

Ah...there is always the personal anecdote of secret inside information to make up for opposing public facts.

Another plus for the iPhone is resale value. I was able to sell my 3G for $200 after a year to fund my 4. Looking at used phone market, the iPhone seems to hold its value. Four year old 3GS is worth $55. Is anyone buying a four year old Samsung phone?

Hello

Please give your non-makers-whatever-they-did-to-annoy-you pro's and cons for the Galaxy S III and iPhone 4S.

I'm not sure which one to take and I need some outside help :)

Done with the Android vs iPhone debate, as nothing anyone says will change opinions and it's a waste of time. Heres my take on both platforms/devices (I own both, but never use my iPhone other than testing compatibility with things so I'm only slightly familiar with the iPhone, so will not give many points to it):

SGS3:
  • Pro: Extremely powerful device (Especially the Snapdragon4/2GB Memory US Model)
  • Pro: Better utility Apps (Tasker, Titanium Backup)
  • Pro: Google Integration (Only a pro if you use Google services)
  • Pro: Extremely long battery life while in use (Minimal youtube/Gaming however). I get 36 hours of constant use due to energy saving mode.
  • Pro: Touchwiz is an actual pro, and adds many utilities (Power toggles in notifications)
  • Pro: Access to Widgets (And eventually http://chameleon.teknision.com/ when they release the Phone version)
  • Con: Updates can take a while (Samsung is fairly good)
  • Pro: Can use custom ROMS that add utility or stability (Or both)
  • Pro/Con: Learning the platform can be difficult, and due to it not being vanilla Android it is different in comparison.
  • Pro: The SGS3 comes unlocked, so you can root it out of the box (Not all models are unlocked, though the GSM variant is)
  • Pro: Removeable battery
  • Pro: microSD
  • Con/Pro: Plastic is actually one of the best materials for phones, as it absorbs the impact of the fall. The issue is it feels cheap (I have no issue with it) and doesn't look the greatest (Also no issue for me)
iPhone 4S:
  • Pro: Better selection of games and media (Many games and apps are moving towards Android now however)
  • Pro: iCloud (This is only useful if you use other Apple products)
  • Pro/Con: Experience stays the same (People who were once Apple fans have said its stagnate, at least on sites like TheVerge)
  • Con: Forced to use iTunes (More of an issue on Windows/Linux)
  • Pro: Better build material
  • Con: More fragile
  • Pro: More accessories (Generally overpriced)
It's all depends on what is important for you. If games/media is more important, choose iOS, otherwise Android offers more in the way of utility and productivity. If you have a lot of Apple products you'd be better off with iOS due to it working better with their products, otherwise Android might be a better bet (As no one but Mac users like iTunes).

I tried to be as unbiased as possible, but I'm mostly familiar with Android and the SGS3. I prefer an open system myself, and there is not as much risk of malware as most people make out. Neither system is fully secure, but a system is only as secure as the user makes it. If you practice common sense and don't install every app without thought you will have no issues.

Get the iPhone. Phones are not a place for the Wild West software market of Android. Phones are morphing to bank connected virtual wallets. Your physical location is on the phone. All our contacts and their personal information. It's a time when you really want the controlled phone application environment of Apple. Apple upgrades the software, the apps upgrade and are screened. None of that happens with the Androids.
Oh yeah, get an iPhone, use the iCloud. All your stuff will be safe. Says Apple.

Or wait... http://www.emptyage.com/post/28679875595/yes-i-was-hacked-hard

Lessons to learn:
  • Get an Android phone, root it, have everything under *your* control.
  • If you give away your data, don't complain when you lose it.
  • If you use a device that allows a remote-wipe, it's basically your own fault when things like that happen.
For a tablet or netbook, Android is OK, but for the phone, the iPhone is the better and more secure option.
See above. Nobody gives a damn about how secure the device itself is when the infrastructure around is not (which is obviously the case).

Side note: Yes, getting hacked was was probably his own fault, but that's not the point. Apple will never ever tell you that something like that can happen and most users, who do not understand the complexity of the systems they're using, will happily believe it.

Like you do.

Get an Android phone, root it, have everything under *your* control.

I don't see that in the Samsung ads. Do you think 99.9% of phone users know what that means?

The phone is an appliance not a Sinclair computer one buys to consume one's hobby time.

My nephew has a SII and I've played with it for while. Must say that I like my SII better, III feels inelegant and I was not comfortable with it.​

Galaxy SIII
Pro's:
Great phones
Android OS
Map and Navigator have a great street view for turn by turn for free

Con's:
Phone breaks, they want to replace battery and plug
Eats battery life without an app

iPhone 4s (I intend to get one next month)
Pro's:
Small smartphone unlike Galaxy phones
Apple Linux OS
Wifi Sync is much better than Android's

Con's:
Expensive
If phone breaks and have insurance, still have to pay $199 deductible

Overall the choice is based on what you prefer.

Seriously? The battery life on the S3 without using an app like juicedefender is amazing!

Interesting but Apple does not list Siri as one of the 200 new features of IOS 5.1. but they do note that IOS 5.1 is compatible with the four year old iPhone 3GS.

Siri is listed as one of the features of IOS6 coming out shortly and that lists compatibility back to four year old iPhone 3GS.

On the other hand, here's the Android universe. Notice how so few have the latest OS while in iPhone's case, they all have latest OS.

Android_chart.png

Come on now, this argument gets boring! Yes the iphone 3gs will be given the latest update, but its not the same update as the 4 or 4s. It will have lots of features removed of limited. Its a clever marketing ploy that many people fall for.

The fact remains, even the older versions of Android are far superior and offer more functionality compared to the most recent versions of ios.

Theres hundreds of videos offering the same out there, but I always recommend anti andorid, pro ios to watch them to see what their missing out on. Heres one example -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Likewise, if you can find videos about what ios offers and android dosent, please post the link so I can see what im missing out on :)

Who cares what ads say? Mainstream consumers who cannot build their own opinion?

If you do, you've already lost.

Unfortunately it'll be very seldom the average consumer will even have an opinion. Why did you purchase that phone? "because it's thin and I watched the commercial" the same can be said about android devices that argument goes both ways and applies to both companies.

The biased android user: Google and <insert phone maker> does everything right.
The impartial android user: Updates by phone makers are slow if ever you get an update. Why on earth is the headphone jack at the bottom of the n7 tablet? Questions that need to be asked.
The biased Apple user: They are innovators, that newly added curve is revolutionary there's nothing bad about <insert apple device here> they do nothing wrong.
The impartial Apple user: They are innovators, that newly added curve is revolutionary there's nothing bad about <insert apple device here> they do nothing wrong. #thinipadsheadphonegigantism

Who cares what ads say? Mainstream consumers who cannot build their own opinion? If you do, you've already lost.

All those lost souls who didnt' "root" their phone...the humanity!!! Interesting that expert Android users do not feel it is safe to use an Android phone unless it has been "rooted".

Interesting that expert Android users do not feel it is safe to use an Android phone unless it has been "rooted".

I don't think the "expert" users, as you call them, are concerned about the safety. The control from rooting, which is how it was previously brought up, is what it is about. Additional settings, customizations, backups, etc. I don't think it's a safety thing, at all.

All those lost souls who didnt' "root" their phone...the humanity!!! Interesting that expert Android users do not feel it is safe to use an Android phone unless it has been "rooted".
Stop twisting words, as no 'expert android user' has ever said that. Most people who root their phones do so for popular utility apps: App2SD (Moves apps and data to microSD card), Tasker (Allows advanced automation of your phone), Titanium Backup (Backs up storage and data of apps and the system if required).

Please know what you're talking about, or quit spreading misinformation. They're is a limit to lies and bias.

I had an iphone 4s and switched to the S3. I love the S3, but the battery life blows. I just bought a larger battery, so let's see how that works out for me lol.

Ah...there is always the personal anecdote of secret inside information to make up for opposing public facts.

Why are you so emotional? If you do not want to believe, what others are posting and you state it as they would lie, there is no point to continue this discussion with you. But the fact that you do not want to accept others opinions and experiences tells alot about your fixed perspective ;)

Another plus for the iPhone is resale value. I was able to sell my 3G for $200 after a year to fund my 4. Looking at used phone market, the iPhone seems to hold its value. Four year old 3GS is worth $55. Is anyone buying a four year old Samsung phone?

That is good for you, but has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I do not buy a device because of its resale value, neither with cars, nor with tablets or phones. I buy it because it does what I need to do with it and because also as a minor point if I like the design and/ or quality.

I use an Ipad2, because it does in certain things in certain situations better than my netbook or my notebook or my PC. I did not buy another tablet because more than one year ago, there was no real alternative out there in Europe. Today I would probably have a very close look at the Samsung 10.1. But i can tell you the lack of flash support drives me crazy. Each day. and the way how you have to set up /display different email accounts if you use an exchange server without IMAP accounts.

You seem to be an Apple Fanboy which is nothing negative. But do not try then to construct arguments why you like an iphone better than something else.

It's the big headphones though that get me everytime. I mean, did the guy in the commercial have to pay for another ticket so he could get his headphones a 1st class sitting? #bigbiggerapplegamer

I had an iphone 4s and switched to the S3. I love the S3, but the battery life blows. I just bought a larger battery, so let's see how that works out for me lol.

How many apps do you have running? I run quite a few, and my battery life is excellent. I get up at 6am and unplug, don't plug in until late, usually after 9pm or so.... I have only gotten below 20% once.

Had both S3, iPhone 4S and to be honest, both are extremely poor at making calls, which is there main function.

At the end of the day, you can take the advice from fanboys, but you're the one using the phone and paying the cash each month. So the best course of action would be for you to go to a phone shop, ask to test both models and see which you prefer. If you prefer the iPhone, then wait until Sept, which according to rumours, is when it will be announced/released.

Had both S3, iPhone 4S and to be honest, both are extremely poor at making calls, which is there main function.

At the end of the day, you can take the advice from fanboys, but you're the one using the phone and paying the cash each month. So the best course of action would be for you to go to a phone shop, ask to test both models and see which you prefer. If you prefer the iPhone, then wait until Sept, which according to rumours, is when it will be announced/released.
I've really had no issue with either device for making calls? For that matter, I've never had a device for making calls.

You can't learn anything from a short test from a phone shop, and the employees will push whatever they get the biggest sale from. Asking for advice is no issue, just most people do not keep their opinion unbiased, which is often hard to do when you favor one platform.

All he needs to do is look at actual facts, and try to sort what is opinion, and what is fact.

Truthfully, as he is an iPad user, an iPhone is probably best for him as he is already part of that ecosystem. He'll also have difficulty acclimatizing to the switch to Android, as they have completely different takes on things and are often too different for most people to enjoy switching between.

Top Bottom