free developer licences ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I was looking at this from the point of view of encouraging mods and themes to be developed to help the communtiy grow and attract business for the core product.

However, I guess this is more likely to happen with software that doesn't have a (soon to be) active mod base, something that certainly isn't true here - people are chomping at the bit to get into the code and see what they can build.

Anyway, it was just a suggesstion - happy to move on...
Hope you dont get me wrong as i didnt want to attack you on this topic. The idea is not bad, but actually - my opinion - should nobody get an advantage with like free licenses so everybody is at the same level with others.

As soon as xenForo is getting sold Im going to buy a license. Then Ill check the system and have a look at the core. Afterwards Im going to code an addon for xF which I plan to do. And thats the way how it works, social engineerings dont work.
You save my day, Vossi :D

I don't like this idea.

I mean who's going to judge who qualifies as a developer?

Also crypting files for dev and debug purposes sounds brilliant ^^

I want free stuff as much as the next guy, but looking at it from XenForo's point of view, I would not offer free licenses to anyone.

Hope you dont get me wrong as i didnt want to attack you on this topic.
I didn't see it as personal, just honest feedback on a suggestion
The idea is not bad, but actually - my opinion - should nobody get an advantage with like free licenses so everybody is at the same level with others.
I hadn't thought of the premium market at all, which is why it's good to have such an active community early on - different eyes

Anyhoo - Mike says it won't fly; for very good reasons.

Moving on, ooohh look over there *buries head in sand*

Not only in your ears :D
;)
Case in point - we need a vBorg for XenForo.
Hm... Due to the fact that Kier, Mike and some others from the xenForum-stuff worked for Jelsoft/IB it is typical to come up with comparisations of both systems. But thats wrong.

vB4 ist not what the people thought it will be, i personally still believe that 4.0.5 is beta, but thats how it goes. vB3.8.x is a stable and good product. To combine thoughts between xF and vB is not good, as xF is a new system with different thoughts brought into the coding and structure, maybe the arcitecture might be common but that's normal as nobody needs to do the wheel once again but maybe put better alu and tires on it.

The point is, that xF cant get compared as the scene is growing from the scratch and the scene gets members from other systems aswell. To center the control in order to NOT make mistakes others did before, i believe that xF is on a good way.

I would go a step further. Have version 1 be free and get 100,000 instant downloads and people jumping over to the product. Then with version 2 and on, have people pay for it. You wont ever get as large a customer base charging right off the bat, or as large a mod community. That being said, have a donation section as people like myself would pop in $50 right off the bat to help it going until the 2.0

I would go a step further. Have version 1 be free and get 100,000 instant downloads and people jumping over to the product. Then with version 2 and on, have people pay for it. You wont ever get as large a customer base charging right off the bat, or as large a mod community. That being said, have a donation section as people like myself would pop in $50 right off the bat to help it going until the 2.0

That didn't go well when IPB did it.

Might get shot down for this one - but are you considering offering free developer licences to enable users to develop mods / themes?

You could encrypt a number of key files with either IonCube or ZendGuard to stop it being used on a live system and this would still allow developers the full benefits of creating new shiny things for the communty.

Don't support the idea. A business isn't a charity. Why should they give up income to facilitate someone else making a profit?

If someone wants to start a skin / mod business, factor in the cost of the license.

For those wanting to create free mods...surely you're going to have a live board anyway so will want to buy a license.

This will not be happening.

Sorry, but this is a wet dream :rolleyes:

Nope, not really. As long as you have a paid license, then I see no harm in installing another copy on a local machine (with installs like XAMPP and MAMP) making sure that the development is not done on a live system.

Im just saying, its marketing 101. Version 1 isnt going to be the 2nd coming of Christ anyways. lol Might as well use it as the carrot. I have a university degree in business marketing, so Im presenting that point of view. Nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom