Forum Organization

With the new 1.1, I would actually say you could vastly simplify your forums through the use of the prefix system, forcing the phone model to be selected as a prefix.

As this system comes with quick prefix sorting (memory watching the video), then all you need to do is have a short, sharp, to the point video tutorial on how to quickly use the forum.

As threads have nothing to do with forums with XF, forum categorisation is a thing of the past.

Add the Azucloud longtail cloud to your pages, and problem solved about everything SEO.

And even then it doesn't matter, as all that is important is the thread ID, which never changes.

For example:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/forum-organization.21302/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/zomg-it-still-works.21302/
Well actually it does matter, a step is missing.

This is what I was thinking...
On an 3rd party site or even internally if you have a link that is
myforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119 --> "One too many forums"
and when importing it XF assigns the node id of 99 to --> "One too many forums"

Currently if any one clicks on the link, the .php file will redirect them correctly.

Now if I just update the node id table all the threads are now in the correct forum. Great!

However when someone clicks one of the links to "One too many forums" they are going to get a "The requested forum could not be found."

So the second step to this would be to update the table (forgot the table name) that is holding the mapping for forum 119 == node 99. Since there are no triggers on the thread that will realize that an update has occurred.

If I am missing something or not understanding something please let me know.
Thanks.

Nothing grey about it, using word tag clouds, as long as you keep it small and don't over-do it.

Tag cloud is different from stacking a page with terms, because a tag cloud constantly changes based on what the page is already being found for within the search engines, as the page is constructed with post content.

Keep tag clouds small, no issues. Allow large quantities of terms, you will have issues.

The key is all within the changing terms, thus you aren't illegally stacking a page with terms not relevant, as the tag cloud only includes terms that Google is already showing your page for. The tag clouds only task is to raise your ranking for those terms Google is already assigning your page within its rankings.

If Google changes your pages definition, then the older terms drop out and the newer terms fill the cloud, repeating the process.

That is vastly different than wanting to be found for "blue widgets", and manually stacking a page about "red widgets" with the additional term of "blue widgets".

Very key difference to why its an effective SEO strategy when used in moderation vs. stacking a page with terms.

Don't change anything until yo
Believe me, it's a tough step for me. Here's my first forum. As you can see, it's set up exactly that way. Every forum I've built has had a similar setup.

With my iPhone forum, it's getting to be ridiculous with the SEO play. Myself included, with my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 forums. I might as well start an iPhone 6 forum and an iPhone 7 forum, if I were to continue the trend. :) I'm hoping that I won't see any severe adverse affects from Google and that users enjoy the new simple category format.
My suggestion is not to change anything until you've moved to xenforo. I was under the impression that you were on xenforo. Opps. What they say about assumptions.... :oops: I apologize.

The reason why I say this, is that moving threads will change the URL structure on vB4. With xenforo, as I mentioned before, and what brogan said before - URL structure don't change. Thus making moving threads less of a headache.

Best of luck to your decision.

Top Bottom