Forum Integration

ryan.me

Hi,

I'm running a WordPress website in the tattoo niche, and I would like to integrate a discussion forum where people can discuss tattoo artwork. My question is: Can I integrate XenForo forum with my WordPress website?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, can I see your site? I also have a big enough one in Italy but I haven't updated new items for years :)

I just copied it all over to @Bob blog and articles addons and had done with it, but was pretty early in the site development so wasn't too worried about the SEO.
Was going to comment also.... instead of WordPress, I'd go with @Bob's AMS (Article Management System) and keep it all native. It's not as "powerful" as WordPress, but it can be configured to do a very decent job.
As was pointed out, there are bridges that can be used... but all it takes is a change in WordPress code and it can break a bridge until it is updated.

Wordpress if you have a blog with articles is better since it is much more indexed by google.
Do you have any proof? If so I'd love to see it so I can include it in my plugin's marketing. :D I have my own hunches about this topic but ultimately SEO is not that simple.

However there are valid business reasons to integrate XenForo and WordPress.

For example, there is a relatively popular blogger who replaced the WP comments system with XFtoWP thread replies to increase forum engagement and most importantly, stop all spam that was coming from the primitive WP comments form.

There is also the case for stepping into the world of powerful eCommerce/LMS systems that WordPress offers, and automating usergroup promotions on production purchase, expiration, and other actions. You'd be surprised with how little moving parts are involved to keep this kind of setup going, as most of what happens on the XenForo side is just setting usergroup permissions.

Beyond the "bottom line" it is just fun to see forum content on your blog, especially if you've been using WordPress for a while. XFtoWP also comes with a pretty smart widget you can put in your sidebar to show latest forum posts, board statistics, even feature threads... and don't get me started on all the developer tools that are part of the plugin!

As for the comments about integrations breaking, any addon can break when any system updates. It's up to you to measure the quality based on public bug reports and how balanced the changelog is between fixing bugs and adding new features.

Last edited:
The proof is that all the articles that appear at the top positions on Google are certainly not written on forums...
Really? zwo EAF apertura 72mm in a Google search disproves that statement. And it is a simple search term used in the niche, as shown by my Google search console for my site.

IMG_1507.webp

I don't want to start wasting time with you since you're a person who only knows how to argue.
In real life we all search hundreds of times a day for information on google and it is very rare that an article written in a forum comes out.
99.999999% there is an article written on a wordpress site.
If then the information has very little competition it is normal that a forum also comes out.
You posted a screen of a super specific query "zwo eaf aperture 72mm" where there is only your article... it's normal that your forum is out!

Last edited:
I don't want to start wasting time with you since you're a person who only knows how to argue.
In real life we all search hundreds of times a day for information on google and it is very rare that an article written in a forum comes out.
99.999999% there is an article written on a wordpress site.
If then the information has very little competition it is normal that a forum also comes out.
You posted a screen of a super specific query "zwo eaf aperture 72mm" where there is only your article... it's normal that your forum is out!
You you make a blanket statement that ALL of the top "articles" (which most would assume to mean content) are created in venues other than a forum, expect to be corrected and given exact proof of such being incorrect.. That's not "arguing" .. Just for your edification, I'll give a few other niche specific examples below that disprove your position.
Of course, you did say "articles"... but I have a feeling what you really meant was "content", as I pointed to..... as a forum post isn't classified as an article, but an article (and forum post) are classified as content, which is what Google (and search engines) rank. If you specifically mean't articles, then I would not expect a forum to rank high, as very few of them actually have the ability to create articles.
As for the search term, as I told you, it's was specific and COMMON search term for the niche it's involved in, and it has gotten over 2700 hits since the article was created. There are YouTube videos that involved the same search term and that has been out longer... but that article (created on a forum) ranks higher. Now, if you had said "forum posts"... I'd somewhat agree with you. Google is not real friendly when it comes down to ranking posts compared to articles... but you specifically stated
The proof is that all the articles that appear at the top positions on Google are certainly not written on forums...
I simply pointed out that incorrect supposition. In fact, I could do so with many other search terms that are niche specific and that are found on forums and not articles... because that is usually where the topics get discussed, and many actively discussed.
BTW, that third position one.... it's also a forum... and a much LARGER forum than mine, and a similar inquiry was asked in some of those threads that were listed there.
Here is another very simple one (and common at the time the object was available) one that is niche specific in a non-signed in Chrome incognito session (which all the below examples are)... guess what ranks 3rd in the position? If you guess forum... you would be correct.

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.33.06 PM.png

Or how about the simple search term Tundra transmission overheating. Guess what... top spot goes to.... a forum (BTW, yes, it's an XF site also!).

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.35.52 PM.png
Or this 2019 Corvette cutting out

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.55.30 PM.png
Top ranked..... a forum in over 36 MILLION search results.

or my 2020 Road King rides rough

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.58.32 PM.png
Top two.. forums... in over 32 MILLION search results.

The point I was making was that frequently niche specific content (and guess what, there are a LOT of niche sites running on a forum) can (and DO) rank high in Google, so a blanket statement of "are certainly not written on forums" is incorrect. Sorry if you don't like being called out on making "all encompassing" statements that are so easily shown to be incorrect.

If I posted a more generic search query of "why is the sky blue" or "how to I bake a chocolate cake" then I would expect a static website to have a higher priority, as that's where a lot of content is generated... but I specifically stated niche specific searches can (and do) reveal content from forums at a much higher incidence that you implied.

Last edited:
Said user has been known to decide the world is a certain way and asserts it is so even when shown evidence to the contrary. And is more stubborn than me. Think your very good example was a swing and a miss.

Here is the link to my tattoo website, which I would like to integrate with the XenForo forum.
Would be well served by the ShowCase add-on for your users to show off their ink.
For reviews, there is (by the same author) a very good review add-on.
You can set up ShowCase to do both, but RMS is better fitted for reviews natively.
To see them in action (I don't push the add-ons to what they are capable of) you can see them on my site.
If you want to keep your WordPress site... you will need to investigate the available bridges... I don't use them so can't speak to them.

Here is the link to my tattoo website, which I would like to integrate with the XenForo forum.
If that was my site, then I would ditch Wordpress and do it all with xenForo. If there were hundreds of pages then maybe I would think about integration but as it stands you could do very well with just xenForo and media gallery. xenForo has a good Articles format as well as html pages.

Said user has been known to decide the world is a certain way and asserts it is so even when shown evidence to the contrary. And is more stubborn than me. Think your very good example was a swing and a miss.
They apparently also like to just downvote any post they disagree with or that goes against them as both yours and Tracy's were at -1.

Top Bottom