Facebook style Activity Feed

whassell20

Wondering if the News Feed that sits in the middle of your profile page on facebook, is something that could be done inside xenforo. I was wondering this because i know people are use to that feature, and would the Recent Activities tab that is located on our profile page be a location for that type of news feed feature. ? I would like the same Facebook style look and features on added to my Xenforo forum

Agreed, this would do wonder well.

Something like my upcoming gaming website.
I can tell by the way a LOT of new members post that they're under the impression their message will be seen as other viewers scroll through discussions. You can tell by the way their completely non-descriptive subject/title is presented.

I imagine it would not be TOO complex to simply have a URL where all the latest discussions are presented in the same was as today's most popular social networks, with threaded comments beneath the main post...

I like this idea. However, I am worried that users will ask everything here instead of forums. That should be planned very well. Otherwise, this feature can destroy the forum content activity.

I like this idea. However, I am worried that users will ask everything here instead of forums. That should be planned very well. Otherwise, this feature can destroy the forum content activity.
I don’t see an issue with having a selection menu to choose the category (forum) for the topic they’re posting about for people starting a new topic in the main activity feed area.

You mean we will see new posts, replies, or comments in this page? or including profile posts etc?

The logic in the photo shared by @Aerodynamic is quite different. So I am a little bit confused.

You mean we will see new posts, replies, or comments in this page? or including profile posts etc?

The logic in the photo shared by @Aerodynamic is quite different. So I am a little bit confused.
Maybe I misinterpreted but my own vision would be to have an option in the admincp to either have this as the standard layout or as an option for the user to select when signing up:

Please select a layout:
  • Facebook/Twitter style
  • Classic Forum style

Whether profile posts will be in this section would be up to the administrator (or user if it's a user selectable option).

My custom style as below. I am using tabs for quick access. And this avoiding confusion. However It would be good to have another tab such as "Trends" showing posts, medias, resources etc in one page without editor.
1695302395440.webp

My custom style as below. I am using tabs for quick access. And this avoiding confusion. However It would be good to have another tab such as "Trends" showing posts, medias, resources etc in one page without editor.
View attachment 291367
You may be on to something here... but unlikely to see much similar in the official software until Xenforo 3.0

You may be on to something here... but unlikely to see much similar in the official software until Xenforo 3.0
XenForo 3.0 would be perfectly fine with me. I've been asking for this for so long but I understand it's not a popular request.

I just see this as something that could make forums VERY BUSY again like they were years ago. If reading through topics and participating in discussions were as simple as it is for younger people to participate on the leading social networking platforms, I see no reason for it to not help forum communities moving forward.

Plus, either XenForo is going to do it, or another competitor will. And mark my words, when they do, there will be a mass migration to whatever that software is - as long as it is competitive with the feature set of XenForo. I really, REALLY hope it happens here first, because I don't plan on going anywhere...

I am agree with @Sal Collaziano

That feature can work as an activator in the forum. Many people cannot see what is going on in the forum. Imagine that we can see 3rd party addon content as well on this page such as group posts, wiki pages, etc. That would be really great for everyone.

I am agree with @Sal Collaziano

That feature can work as an activator in the forum. Many people cannot see what is going on in the forum. Imagine that we can see 3rd party addon content as well on this page such as group posts, wiki pages, etc. That would be really great for everyone.
It's strange to "us" but for people visiting a forum for the first time, which moving forward will always be "most people", they don't know what to do. All they see is a bunch of categories and - as silly as it may seem to us - by that time they're just ready to go elsewhere.

For these people, they need to see on-topic content up front and center. It makes no sense to ignore this issue...

It's strange to "us" but for people visiting a forum for the first time, which moving forward will always be "most people", they don't know what to do. All they see is a bunch of categories and - as silly as it may seem to us - by that time they're just ready to go elsewhere.

For these people, they need to see on-topic content up front and center. It makes no sense to ignore this issue...
My audience is engineers. Normally I should expect they are familiar with such systems. But this is not reality. So we should make forums as much as simple and functional.

Top Bottom