XF 1.3 EXIF Rotation, ACP Searching, Proxying and Change Logging

Here are a handful of new 1.3 features neatly packaged up into a single video for your viewing entertainment...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Update, Jan 15 - Case Sensitivity 101

There have been various questions about what case sensitive searching means in the video...

In a nutshell, without case sensitivity, searching for 'Foo' would return all results containing any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters spelling 'foo', such as 'foo', 'fOo', 'foO' and 'Foo'.

However, with case sensitivity enabled, searching for 'Foo' would only return results that contain exactly 'Foo', while other combinations of uppercase and lowercase letters would be ignored.

Last edited:
regarding the proxy feature

how the cache done exactly ?! is it saving it on temp folder for example or what ?!
Images are fetched by the server and stored in a subdirectory of your internal_data folder until the specified cache time has elapsed, after which time it will be automatically deleted, and will only be re-fetched if it is re-requested (by loading the message that contains the link to that image).

Images are fetched by the server and stored in a subdirectory of your internal_data folder until the specified cache time has elapsed, after which time it will be automatically deleted, and will only be re-fetched if it is re-requested (by loading the message that contains the link to that image).

So it could have a substantial impact on a shared hosting account if you set your cache date to an indefinite amount of days. Just something to keep an eye on I suppose.

Can it be set to zero days; i.e. infinite / permanent?

I see the options for proxying are:
> No Proxy
> Proxy Images
> Proxy Images and Links

I hope there is also a option to proxy only links, since to those who (including me) don't utilize SSL and/or are with limited disk space but would like to know more information about links, knowing which links are being clicked and to where is very useful. I agree with @Adam Howard on the point of also being able to see this in PM, it'd really help us find those who advertise via PM or share links that shouldn't be shared via PM's.

1.3 just keeps getting better!

thanks for answering , hope if there is an option to enable the proxy just in some nodes not all !! if it possible of course
thanks again for your hard work ^_^

> No Proxy
> Proxy Images
> Proxy Images and Links

I hope there is also a option to proxy only links, since to those who (including me) don't utilize SSL and/or are with limited disk space but would like to know more information about links, knowing which links are being clicked and to where is very useful. I agree with @Adam Howard on the point of also being able to see this in PM, it'd really help us find those who advertise via PM or share links that shouldn't be shared via PM's.

You should be able to set the cache to 0 days to effectively disable it.

thanks for answering , hope if there is an option to enable the proxy just in some nodes not all !! if it possible of course
thanks again for your hard work ^_^
Settings are global, it'll function on them all.

Can it be set to zero days; i.e. infinite / permanent?
I personally don't think it is necessary to cache them infinitely, as they will be simply recached when called after the previous cached version has been deleted. The only reason to do so would be to store them for the case, they get deleted at the image hoster. But if you want to store images that long, you should also have the storage capabilities to do so.

I personally don't think it is necessary to cache them infinitely, as they will be simply recached when called after the previous cached version has been deleted. The only reason to do so would be to store them for the case, they get deleted at the image hoster. But if you want to store images that long, you should also have the storage capabilities to do so.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - keep the image available (on my own server) so that it can be displayed even if the original source is deleted; as well as the obvious speed advantage gained from serving it locally.

I have dedicated server so space isn't really an issue (well, at least not at the moment anyway! :D).

@Kier - are there any limits to the size of image files that are cached?

I'm thinking about what might happen if someone, for example, links to a large number of high-res NASA images; will these be stored at their original size or is there some form of cap and/or processing (to reduce image/file size) that goes on behind the scenes?

At the moment I'm doing okay for free disk space because all of the uploaded images are resized and are within the limits I've set in the ACP. Using the proxy to store images at their original file size presents a possibly different problem, in terms of storing the cached images beyond the initial 7 days default setting.

You should be able to set the cache to 0 days to effectively disable it.
So setting it to 0 will disable it rather than make the caching days infinite? Because currently setting to 0 removes any sort of time limit and makes it last forever across XenForo.

I'm sure he meant disables the limit, not disables the feature.
I see, because I was asking for a proxy option for links only (which isn't a option as seen in the video), and he replied saying it can be set to 0 to disable image proxying (or that is what I assumed).

> No Proxy
> Proxy Images
> Proxy Images and Links

You should be able to set the cache to 0 days to effectively disable it..

Ok, maybe a day at most. I just woke up when I wrote that and forgot that 0 usually disables a time limit. I'd have to watch the video again to see if you could cache it.

I see, because I was asking for a proxy option for links only (which isn't a option as seen in the video), and he replied saying it can be set to 0 to disable image proxying (or that is what I assumed).

My mistake, I would view that as unexpected behavior though seeing as in other places setting a limit to 0 just disables the limit.

Ok, maybe a day at most. I just woke up when I wrote that and forgot that 0 usually disables a time limit. I'd have to watch the video again to see if you could cache it.
I see :) But that still raises an issue: if the images are being viewed on a daily basis, it'll remain in the server and consume disk space.

Thus I was suggesting for an option specifically for link only proxying.

What happens if the posted link is a dead link? Does the link cache try to cache that or does it have some sort of indicator that the link is dead? The same goes for image proxy. Large sites will have thousands or even tens of thousands of existing dead links.
It would be nice if moderators would get an alert to fix it.

If we ignore disk space, is there any downside to having images cached forever? What if we cache terabytes of images?

For how long are proxied links stored?

After 1 years most externally hosted images are gone and the threads that display those images can turn useless if those images are important.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - keep the image available (on my own server) so that it can be displayed even if the original source is deleted; as well as the obvious speed advantage gained from serving it locally.

it would be great if there would be an automatic "Link checker" (CRON) which could check whether the image (photo) is still available at its external proxy-location or whether the image has been deleted at its external proxy-location (original source).
If the image (photo) has been deleted from its original source, then the image gets cached on my own server indefinitely, until I delete it manually.

Does this make sense ?

:cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom