Early adopters second sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there should be a late adopters sale for those too lazy to buy it the first time around :) Say 50% off for new customers buying the Gold release.

(Anthony I am just joking!)

Seriously, probably not a $$$ discount but some months of extra updates as an incentive to buy. Maybe 3~6 extra months...

I don't think there is anything wrong in the question asked by this thread. You do have Christmas sales after all, and I don't see why XenForo could not be offered at a sale price again in the future on occasions like this. After all, IPB are always coming up with new sales offer ideas all the time. It's a regular thing with them.

So why not XenForo?

I don't think there is anything wrong in the question asked by this thread. You do have Christmas sales after all, and I don't see why XenForo could not be offered at a sale price again in the future on occasions like this. After all, IPB are always coming up with new sales offer ideas all the time. It's a regular thing with them.

So why not XenForo?

Like vbulletin and the same rule goes for IPB. Xenforo is not IPB. Sure you can ask, but it's entirely up to the devs whether or not another sale will happen.

Simple as that.

I think quantity purchase discounts make a lot more sense on a long term basis versus what some of you are requesting here.

I think there should be a late adopters sale for those too lazy to buy it the first time around :) Say 50% off for new customers buying the Gold release.

(Anthony I am just joking!)

Or better yet a too dumb or too poor to buy the first time around discount !!

In the above scenario, I would garner a giant discount on both accords.

Good marketing should always encompass regular offers / discount periods... like stores, its when you often do your biggest sales periods, especially if you pre-advertise it first. A nice PRWeb release a month before sale would do the job for online purposes, just like stores do in local papers and TV weeks prior to huge sale promotions.

Especially when XF get into a range of products, sales periods can include a bonus product with every new license sold between x & y dates. Bulk is always good for ongoing business, as that encourages huge license holders to change to your system, when its easier for bulk to often renew and stick with what they know.

Saying all that... I wouldn't expect to see much more in the way of sales promotions from XF until nearing Gold, for its release.

Online coupons are a massive market especially for online sales. The best part of those is that the user may, or may not, find a current coupon to obtain a discount. If they do... great, if they don't, even better, but the offer existed nonetheless.

The license that I'm selling is a vB4 + Branding Free and I got that license directly from vBulletin.com - I'm selling for US$260 when it's real value is US$365. At least I'm not asking in my signature to get vB3 licenses for free (ha ha).

I'm not going to further reply any of your messages in this post. No off topic.

Good luck with the sale you'll need it a lot. Suite licenses average $100-125. If you get anything above $125 consider your self lucky.

As for asking for a vB3 license. I don't see how that's a laugh? vB3 is better than vB4 and most people who have 3.5 or older will not use it. So it's better than holding on to it for nothing and letting it sit there.......

It's a lot better than what you paid for and you have to sell and lose money off of.

So really I'm laughing at you for even going for vB4. haha! :)

Okay don't reply to then, I never asked you too.

I just found it extremely hilarious that you whined so much at DP about cheap licenses. And yet now that you have one you think you can sell yours for so much.

Personally, I do not think there should be any sale at all.
$140 is a very good price for what you're getting.
IMO...

True.. but I think maybe some kind of sale or promo might help? Maybe buy 1 license get the 2nd 50% off?

I'm sure they WILL have some kind of promo. I mean IB killed "some" of the sales with this lame lawsuit.

Once it's gone and gold has a set date of release. I think a promo is going to make a HUGE difference in new sales.

And also for current license holders.. maybe some kinda of promo to have them purchase multiple licenses.

I backed out in NOT buying any extra XF licenses. After Ashley hinted about the penalty fee. But by the time he had decided it would not be in effect. It was many days after the early adopters sales and I had my budget set for that amount on that day.

Good marketing should always encompass regular offers / discount periods... like stores, its when you often do your biggest sales periods, especially if you pre-advertise it first. A nice PRWeb release a month before sale would do the job for online purposes, just like stores do in local papers and TV weeks prior to huge sale promotions.

Bit late to the thread but I must respectfully disagree. Software like XenForo is quite different to most other retail items.

Random example - if you buy a pair of shoes in the sales, things to consider:
a) The shoes will have a fixed life span (or repair costs if they are a good pair of work shoes etc...)
b) It's "this seasons" design. A new design/revision will appear next season, for people to purchase.
c) There's generally no need for aftersale. You won't normally need to call or email customer services and ask how to tie the laces etc...

If a shoe shop is getting ready to take stock of the next seasons goods, they don't want old stock hanging around people will no longer want and also need to make room on their physical shelves (whether it's retail or online e.g. amazon - still needs space!).

As XenForo includes a subscription with access to future releases for a year, it doesn't go out of date. There also isn't a finite number of XenForo licenses like you have with 'retail' products. By running sales you run the risk of devaluing your product - people would stop thinking of the $140 price as the cost of XenForo, and instead at $100-120 or whatever the regular sale price happened to be. Yes, you might get more sales when you run a promotion, but the flip side is you could reduce the number of purchases when you aren't running a promotion - as people decide to hold off for the next one. That's not really good from a cash flow point of view (the reason most businesses fail).

I've worked for a number of businesses that sell invoicing and billing software products - one company ran promotions pretty often. It devalued their product (and also hurt second hand license values) and lead to pain for everyone. As a result, the company has more or less stopped trading. Another company ran a couple of sales every year which was fine - except people would then demand the same discounts the rest of the time or ask "you ran a sale at this time last year... why not another? I wanted to get a license now!" etc....). Or "why only a 15% discount now, last time it was 20% etc..". Just a big headache! And when it's a case of do you provide no discount, and risk losing that sale, or get 90% of the sale price and give in - that's not an easy decision when times are a bit difficult and/or there are targets to hit! For the company I work at now, I finally got it agreed that we'd more or less stop discounting in nearly all circumstances. It probably goes against what all the "marketing guru's" out there say, but in our case it's been a huge success. Sure, we've lost some sales - but we're actually taking in more cash and supporting fewer customers (so our costs are lower). Sure, we might not be growing as fast customer number wise - but it seems more sustainable.

Now... you can mitigate things like this with coupons etc... Or simply increasing your selling price so that the discounted price is still acceptable. But for a small company starting out without huge financial backing, unless you have the time (and I'd say someone dedicated to working on it) to organise your marketing and pricing, it's much simpler to focus on producing a good product, getting sales at a set price, and leaving the rest to word of mouth. It's worked well in my own personal experience, it seemed to work well for vBulletin in the past, and I'd bet it would work for XenForo too. Sometimes... I think simpler might just be better :)

(as a small side note - I also actually worked for a large retailer many years ago. We were well known for providing discounts, people just had to push us a bit. A few clicks on the till and they'd suddenly walk out with 5-10% off. The company changed policy - reducing prices slightly, scrapping discounts, and stopping the constant "promotions" which had previously been well advertised on TV / newspapers etc... Sales were up across the chain, average transaction values up, and profit went up quite a bit too.).

Imo, this thread as pretty much run its course. The owners have stated that they are not going to run another sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom