Donations for Shawns coffee pot...

How did you know your switch needed rebooting ?
My router need rebooting sometimes .... the only way I know the router needs rebooting is .... I can't access the internet at all.
I didn't know... but there was some really bizarre things going on network-wise that couldn't be explained. So I just rebooted it for good measure.

For example, pinging a local machine would yield exactly every other packet being slow.

Image%202013.01.25%202:10:40%20PM.png

Looks like a cabling or internal DNS problem (depends on how you interconnected your servers).

Maybe some eth ports changed during an update at any machine?

When we had that problem last time at our data center, recabling everything and checking all connection configuration at all servers helped.

Yeah... I went through all the normal stuff... ports, cables, etc... I mean I switched all traffic to go through backup load balancer, so that took hardware, cable and network port out of the equation. Was really strange... eventually just a reboot of switch and back to normal. Probably time to replace it anyway.

Yeah... I went through all the normal stuff... ports, cables, etc... I mean I switched all traffic to go through backup load balancer, so that took hardware, cable and network port out of the equation. Was really strange... eventually just a reboot of switch and back to normal. Probably time to replace it anyway.

If you have a packet storm in your network, it makes sense to find the reason. ;)
Even if time may solve it anyway.

It certainly has something to do with any change you made shortly before.

It may even be a single broken network adapter at any machine.
Try to monitor the packet count also at the interfaces, starting with the switch.

I made no hardware, route, port, etc. changes whatsoever... I haven't been physically to the data center in months. I was also thinking one of the load balancers NICs might be whacked out, but when I switched all traffic to the other load balancer (different physical machine, different network port/cable, etc.) that kind of ruined that idea. Literally, it was solved when I rebooted the network switch... I really just think it needs to be replaced. 3 or 4 years ago it just lost it's operating system for no reason and I had to go to the data center to see WTF was up... was just in a continuous reboot cycle over and over never able to load the OS.

Was able to get it restored via RS-232 and all, but yeah... this switch was manufactured on an indian burial ground or something.

Which brand do you use for your main network router? Cisco? Juniper?
Both brands usually have a very long life time.

If you use one of those try to do a firmware upgrade to the newest version. Cisco sometimes has small bugs in it's IOS. Check their website with your switch name and version.

I dunno... not committed to that at this point, but if there is sufficient demand and it's a commercial product type of venture, maybe...

Yeah...probably a dumb question. Anyway, you probably have 4 years or more until that product is stable enough to use and is a Gold release. So, you don't even have to worry about that.

To be honest, I can't imagine any large board using vB5. The import process is too long (it's actually doing a full import as it it was coming from a different platform), and then even if you had all your stuff in vB5 the resources required to run it make it more or less impossible for anything but the smallest sites. Maybe they will get the underlying design issues fixed, but yeah... I don't see anyone on vB5 that would even NEED a big board search anytime soon.

DP knowing you with monitoring the servers you have, can you say at this point that Xenforo makes better use of the server resources or does it not matter much.

The plan is for 3 of these chassis: http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/2U/2027/SYS-2027TR-H71RF_.cfm

With each server node having: E5-2690 (8 core) x2, 256GB RAM, 900GB Seagate enterprise drives (Savvio) x 6, InfiniBand interconnect (56Gbit)

So a total of 12 servers in 6U of space.

We only use servers for digitalpoint.com... There are a lot of backend things going on... Serving up Geovisitors tool, serving ads on sites using Digital Point Ads, search engine rank checking for millions of keywords from our Keyword Tracker tool, etc.

Nice, Shawn just be careful of heat output in such a small space as the higher end E5-2690 are pushing 130W per cpu :) 12x130w = 1,560w in 6U space :eek:

Top Bottom