Does XenForo work on iPad/Android tablets?

BGL

I can tell you from experience that it does not work entirely on a Blackberry tablet (Playbook). When you do a search for new threads, Xenforo URLs append the thread with #post-123456 which causes a Xenforo error to be returned "Error - Invalid page requested". It does that for me on my forums and the Xenforo forums. But if you take off the # and everything past it from the URL, it works perfectly. Everything else works fine on the blackberry browser for Playbook.

I am counting on this:
While we have mentioned that 1.2 will include a mobile style, here's another teaser of a new feature:

And Kier was on recently confirming that it is 1.2 that is in the works.

I've just tried this on my Galaxy Note 10.1 and the whole forum works 100% with the default Android browser. So far I've not found anything I can't do. All the drop-downs, overlays, editor work. Admittedly this is using wifi, but it works as fast as my desktop. :)

I am counting on this:

And Kier was on recently confirming that it is 1.2 that is in the works.
He was saying something along making it more mobile-friendly. I think I can remember him saying that it's not going to be specifically a mobile style. IMHO, as mobile devices get more capable, the need for a stripped-down mobile style diminishes.

Tapatalk is definitely not the same user experience as it is on the web in a browser. It is a completely different experience, in fact.

Some people may prefer it because it is an experience designed for mobile, on the iPad and iPhone it allows you to do photo uploads direct from the device etc. It's good if you participate in a lot of forums as it adds them all in one place.

But there is still no wysiwyg editor, you cannot customise how your site looks through Tapatalk (every forum accessed through Tapatalk is identical) this means you can't serve ads through it.
or use their BYOA, I use it and love it. Just wish the updates were more consistent AND if Luke would work closer with them to get his Post Ratings working with boya/tapatalk maaaan it would be a HIT!

Xenforo forums looks better in Web Browsers than Tapatalk.

I love using my Forum on Safari and Chrome browser on my iPad Mini and it works perfectly.

Enhanced addons like " Post Rating " etc are not available on Tapatalk which restrict me to use it. But when i need to surf and reply fast, I use Tapatalk.

He was saying something along making it more mobile-friendly. I think I can remember him saying that it's not going to be specifically a mobile style. IMHO, as mobile devices get more capable, the need for a stripped-down mobile style diminishes.

Don't worry, it's far more difficult to log out accidentally with the mobile skin design I have.

Although a old post he did mention a mobile skin, and other post hinted at a 1.2 release.

Not much to report at this time really. I would anticipate just going responsive at this point as that provides more options these days. We did have thoughts about how to do an integrated mobile "skin" (though not how you think). Maybe we'll still provide an option for that depending on how things go.

It used to be down to Apple/iOS/Webkit (and the same issue on Android): contenteditable areas didn't trigger the keyboard. That's not really the case now.

It used to be down to Apple/iOS/Webkit (and the same issue on Android): contenteditable areas didn't trigger the keyboard. That's not really the case now.

So is this a bug then with Xenforo?

In my case the rich text editor did not work on either IOS or Android.

When replying to a thread you just get a white box nothing else.

Applying the Tiny MCE fix mod corrected this.

If it is a bug can a patch be provided by Xenforo vs the mod?

How is this the case when applying the Tiny MCE fix corrects this?
I've chosen to name the addon "TinyFix" to simplify what it really fixes: the conversation between html tags/bbcodes, which is the main aspect of this addon (and the fast overlays system too). If you have activated TinyMCE on mobiles, you know you have to modify a XenForo file. This edit simply modifies the rules of how XenForo loads the RTE editor. As Mike said, a few years ago mobile browsers were not as good as they are today. TinyMCE was crashing with them them. XenForo then just disabled it when a mobile device is detected. Browsers & TinyMCE have been both updated since and it's working even if it's slow. So no, the fact TinyMCE has been disabled with XenForo is not a bug, it's a choice.

If it is a bug can a patch be provided by Xenforo vs the mod?
For a reason I still don't get, newer versions of TinyMCE were not working with XenForo, especially with Firefox (see the links to the TinyMCE forum and bugs tracker provided in the tread). I've done some kind of "reverse debugging" (use old versions to check from which one the bug came and then tested modifications one by one... -boring-). A few "fixes" have been applied to the original TinyMCE javascript file using previous code of TinyMCE. I have no idea if they can be avoided with extra code in the editor init configuration (the TinyMCE staff didn't reply to the question). So if XenForo wants to make a temporary update (before changing the editor), they would need to solve the above problem then just modifies the rules how the editor is loaded (see above paragraph).

But the main problems with parser will remain. I've used regex to fix them (-ultra boring-), it works, but using a object with rewind/prev/next/etc functions might be cleaner. The other problem that will remain is the slow overlays which are reloading all the XenForo Javascript every time to display the Tinymce inline popup. To avoid this, I've just used jQuery Tools which is integrated to XenForo (-the only fun thing of this addon-). So it doesn't matter which editor is used, XenForo will still need to complete its parser rules and will still need to develop its own method to load overlays through its ajax system... since it's so good and avoid to load too much html/js code at once.

OK fair call....

So its turned off by Xenforo on purpose.

So is there any plans to support it in the future?

Not that I don't appreciate the hack but would rather than Android / Iphone is natively supported by Xenforo for the RTE......

Top Bottom