XF 2.2 Disable IMG tags for new posts/edits only?

Fullmental

We've been having issues with some image hosting sites that our members use. We're converting to an object based storage solution for our attachments and have tried to encourage members to use the built in image attachments tool, but people will still manually type out img tags and host their content on places like imgur which don't work with our image attachment conversion addon (imgur seems to have blocked all VLANs at our hosting provider as of late 2023). We've been fighting imgur on this with proxy hosts, but I have to keep setting up new ones every few weeks and it's not sustainable. Even worse, the image conversion addon we are using doesn't actually throw an error when it stops working, it just silently leaves the image as is, which means I have to manually test it on the daily to catch when it breaks.

We're trying to figure out how to disable img tags entirely and show an error when posting if a member tries to use one in a submitted post. I see we can turn off the img tag parsing in the ACP, but this will negatively impact tens of thousands of archived posts and break the links there too, so it's a nonstarter.

How can we best prevent the use of img tags on edited and new post content, while preserving what already exists? We are aware of the existing convert image all addon but ran into problems with it which for example broke image attributes, parsed img links in code blocks that should have been left alone, and broke some legacy posts, so we had to roll that back when we tried it to preserve existing formatting.

Top Bottom