XF 1.1 CSS Sprites

In an attempt to decrease the number of HTTP requests made (and thereby speed up pages), virtually all of XenForo 1.1's UI icon graphics come from just two sprites.

xenforo-ui-sprite.png

xenforo-ui-sprite.png

node-sprite.png

node-sprite.png
Attached below are the 24 bit versions of the same sprites, for those of you who wish to edit them but don't have a graphic program which supports the 8 bit versions.

Attachments

• node-sprite-24-bit.webp
    node-sprite-24-bit.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 196
  • xenforo-ui-sprite-24-bit.webp
    xenforo-ui-sprite-24-bit.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 195
Attached below are the 24 bit versions of the same sprites, for those of you who wish to edit them but don't have a graphic program which supports the 8 bit versions.

Kier, can you suggest some of those programs which support the 8-bit versions of the graphic? It's obviously much more resource-efficient to use the 8bit than the 24bit.

Kier, can you suggest some of those programs which support the 8-bit versions of the graphic? It's obviously much more resource-efficient to use the 8bit than the 24bit.
I recommend Adobe Fireworks CS5. I always use it when working with web graphics and highly recommend it.

Bare in mind the more imagery you post within the spritesheet the higher the chances your going to result in images starting to suffer from quality being compromised. I can't see png-8 being used in the extended pack since more colors are being used unless you start splitting and breaking down spritesheets. I'm all for saving kb but when quality is being compromised for me it's not worth saving a few kb. Eitherway, no matter what route you take your going to be making compromises whether it's saving kb using png-8 and splitting spritesheets adding more http requests, quality loss or using 1 mega sheet png-24 with a higher kb.

Just curious, but why are the stars in there? I've never seen a part of XenForo that uses a rating system; mind you, haven't looked too hard but still.

As some of you have no doubt noticed, the watched thread icon has changed from a star to a pair of spectacles, which means the sprite contents have changed from 1.1.5 to include that and a new magnifying glass for the responsive search box.

@Mike or @Kier, any chance we can get a 24 bit version of the new sprite for those of us whose graphics programs don't support 8 bit alpha transparency?

At least for me it's a broken smiley and notspecacles
and the searchicon is the A/A icomf from old editor which was used to switch to BBCode

working now:)

As some of you have no doubt noticed, the watched thread icon has changed from a star to a pair of spectacles, which means the sprite contents have changed from 1.1.5 to include that and a new magnifying glass for the responsive search box.

@Mike or @Kier, any chance we can get a 24 bit version of the new sprite for those of us whose graphics programs don't support 8 bit alpha transparency?

http://xenforo.com/community/styles/default/xenforo/xenforo-ui-sprite.png

Save as, seems fine for me. ;)

Top Bottom