Fixed Could not resolve host: verify.solvemedia.com

this is preventing any new registrations

Solve Media connection error: cURL error 6: Could not resolve host: verify.solvemedia.com; Name or service not known (see https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html)
1 minute ago src/vendor/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/Handler/CurlFactory.php:200
That indicates that there is a communication problem between your server and the target (verify.solvemedia.com).
You'll need to figure out why your server cannot connect to that host -- or that service could be having its own issues.
It's not a XF issue that can be resolved aside from changing the registration settings temporarily.

Edit: It does appear that verify.solvemedia.com is not a valid host (does not resolve on DNS) right now.

Can you tell me where do I turn solvemedia captcha off or change it to something else? We are still getting an error a minute.

Thanks

I don't recommend using Solve Media, because they are winding down their services to smaller publishers, and have been sending "we will no longer provide this service" to many. I've had two clients hit by this so far. Also, despite them saying so, they do not monetize. One client tried them, gave them 350K impressions and 8K solves, and made $0.00. Years ago, they used to pay, but in my opinion it's basically a scam now.

Can you tell me where do I turn solvemedia captcha off or change it to something else? We are still getting an error a minute.

Thanks
You can modify the user registration settings under ACP > Setup > Options > User Registrations

None of this is sitting right with me, including the fact that it apparently doesn’t work.

We may have to speak with them. It’s possible we may remove this as a captcha option entirely.

Is anyone actually using this and making money from it as advertised?

Well, Solve Media haven't even bothered to reply to my email (or fix their endpoint), so I guess it's "for the birds".

The CAPTCHA class will remain, but we will be formally announcing its deprecation and eventual removal.

It's worth noting that any CAPTCHA that logs an error automatically passes. This is both comforting and alarming. It's comforting in that genuine users are not being blocked from registration. It's alarming in that obvious bots are not actually being prevented. So if you stumble across this thread and you're experiencing this particular error, our advice is to stop using Solve Media immediately.

We highly recommend Turnstile. It's free, it's fairly easy, and it doesn't require you to change your DNS or move to use Cloudflare's other services.

We highly recommend Turnstile. It's free, it's fairly easy, and it doesn't require you to change your DNS or move to use Cloudflare's other services.
I wish more sites would use Turnstile--I'm over the constant poking at blurry images to visit sites I regularly do, who suddenly think I'm a bot. I switched anything of mine that I could over to Turnstile and have had no issues at all.

Yeah it's great. We have attempted to make it the defacto default in XF like we did with HCaptcha and reCAPTCHA before it but Cloudflare won't allow us to do it using a global key like we did with those. Though that approach did end up being problematic, with Google eventually back-pedalling and trying to get an enterprise fee out of us and HCaptcha who we explicitly sought out for help with that issue, eventually claiming that any agreement we had was only for a year :rolleyes: (That was eventually sorted).

Although we are still in talks with Cloudflare about making the onboarding process easier.

The CAPTCHA class will remain, but we will be formally announcing its deprecation and eventual removal.
After further consideration, I see little point in keeping the CAPTCHA class. At this point, it's not even just the verification endpoint that isn't responding, neither is the API endpoint so the actual CAPTCHA puzzle is not loading either.

This presents a risk to customers because it is potentially blocking registrations entirely. Even if the CAPTCHA puzzles were working, the verification endpoint isn't so the CAPTCHA has completely no effect.

Starting with Beta 8 we are removing support for Solve Media entirely, customers using it will be reverted back to the default CAPTCHA (hCaptcha) and all of its code will be removed.

If you are using Solve Media we highly encourage you to immediately switch to the default CAPTCHA (hCaptcha - zero configuration required) or implement Turnstile by Cloudflare.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.3.0 Beta 8).

Change log:
Remove SolveMedia as it no longer works. Reverts CAPTCHA to HCaptcha.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Well then, Solve Media surely shot themselves in the foot by losing XenForo. I definitely only learned about them by seeing them in the list of options for captcha providers here.

Top Bottom