converting a huge community to xenforo

shock

my friend and me(i was the CEO) are curious about how much it will take to convert a community with this stats to xen foro:
users: 747,653.
threads: 9,054,146.
forums: 938.(including subforums)
Average users online: 23,000.

it may be possible that the owner of the forum will consider switching the forum software, because VB is realy heavy, slow, and causes alot of problems with the search... (when users search alot the forum crashes)

and we wanna know if xen foro 1.1 can handle this stats with minimum troubles.

Sounds wrong? An entire day for 4 million posts? It only took me a couple of hours to do 1.5 million posts.

I don't know how that's possible quite honestly... I guess it could be better now than when I did it but our forum database which was about 3.5 million posts and ~20 gigs of data it took an entire day. This isn't conjecture it's fact... I'm sure there are many factors (even outside of I/O) that could affect this but this guy's looking at a serious amount of time to do such a conversion and should plan as such, it would be setting him up for failure to give him expectations of anything else.

This is completely irrelevant for a board of this size... especially with vBulletin, it will take it's own dedicated setup to run it.
I didn't mean which software to be running. I meant transferring a large website from old software, to new software.

83 million posts is quite big. In fact, it's bigger than 1 or 2 million, you would need a really fast computer to handle that kind of transfer.

I didn't mean which software to be running. I meant transferring a large website from old software, to new software.

83 million posts is quite big. In fact, it's bigger than 1 or 2 million, you would need a really fast computer to handle that kind of transfer.

You missed my point...

My point was they don't need to have their "host" handle it... they are likely handling it themselves like we are.

I think we all know that 83 million is bigger than 1 or 2 million and understand the kind of server infrastructure it's going to take to handle the migration, no one is downplaying that or debating that. We're simply trying to help him with real world examples of what we've encountered doing large scale migrations.

My point was they don't need to have their "host" handle it... they are likely handling it themselves like we are.
Okay, let me put it this way, I converted a 2 thousand member, 3 thousand post site and from my end of the world - I am using a crappy computer - it's powerful, but it's not exactly current, nor powerful. Between me and the server where my site is hosted, that's a long way apart. That didn't deter me, because I have a broadband cable connection so everything was transferred faster than I imagined - however, because of my hardware, I had a few problems, but I fixed it with a few tweaks. The transfer however, took me more than 30 minutes. I remember watching T.V. while the transfer went on.

I live in California, the server is in... Florida.

The only reason why the process was quick is because the server is a monster.

A home system / ISP has nothing to do with backing up and importing / converting an 83 million post community.

Nor does it have anything to do with the performance.

You can be on dailup and convert this site, or on a 10gbit backbone and do it. it will take the same amount of time.

A home system / ISP has nothing to do with backing up and importing / converting an 83 million post community.
Of course it does, you're sending a huge file to a server. Your connection needs to be on top shape to handle the speed of imports, likewise, the server needs to be on top shape to receive your file. If one is not on top shape, then the other has to pick up the pace.

As for your hardware. I meant, your computer, your computer needs to be on top shape in order for executed jobs to run faster.

When you're working in the receiving area of any retail outlet, you would know: If human is unable to pick up the pace to move products to stock room, then the truck that's leaving can't get to his next destination faster.

Of course it does, you're sending a huge file to a server. Your connection needs to be on top shape to handle the speed of imports, likewise, the server needs to be on top shape to receive your file. If one is not on top shape, then the other has to pick up the pace.

As for your hardware. I meant, your computer, your computer needs to be on top shape in order for executed jobs to run faster.

When you're working in the receiving area of any retail outlet, you would know: If human is unable to pick up the pace to move products to stock room, then the truck that's leaving can't get to his next destination faster.

Carlos -

I'm not sure if there is a language barrier or what the deal is so please don't take this offensively.

The only conclusion I can draw from your posts in this thread is that you don't fully understand what's being discussed. I appreciate the vigor with which you're trying and how much you want to help people but it's important to remember that saying nothing is better than saying something incorrect when offering someone advice.

I always seem to be alone in saying the right things at the right time. But if people disagree, that's just fine. Some people do it in a way that's condescending until it feels insulting. I have always given Floris my utmost respect, but every time I say something, it always seems like everyone likes holding my neck and saying "shut up."

Everything I say gets shot in the face. It's like I feel alone in everything I say.

And it's frustrating, especially when I'm trying to help.

Then don't talk bull in topics you have no real experience with.
See, there you go again, discrediting what I said earlier. I HAVE experienced this [see here]. I have seen them myself, the only thing I haven't experience is handling the situation(s) from the administrator's point of view [talking about the other thread]. You obviously have, since you've discredited my posts a few times already!

In case any hard stats can help anyone regarding the time an import takes, I shared this screenshot in my migration experience thread. Obviously, this is going to depend on the machine you have running the importer. :)

Import02.png

So based on your import that's 500 hours (I'm doing rough math in my head) :) That's a long import... but I'd assume he'd probably have better hardware (obviously no offense meant) than what you were dealing with so he'd see a better import time.

I might just for giggles write a script that will auto generate 100M threads just to see how big the database gets and have that database for testing purposes (on vB) and tinker with the importer just for giggles.

So based on your import that's 500 hours (I'm doing rough math in my head) :) That's a long import... but I'd assume he'd probably have better hardware (obviously no offense meant) than what you were dealing with so he'd see a better import time.

I might just for giggles write a script that will auto generate 100M threads just to see how big the database gets and have that database for testing purposes (on vB) and tinker with the importer just for giggles.
Lol! Now wouldn't that be an interesting experiment. :D
No offense taken. I admit, the machine I used for the import wasn't one of the best around. Hopefully, most imports would be much quicker than this one. :)

Interesting stats indeed, lazy llama! Thank you for sharing. :)
The thread conversion rate for your import seems to be 4 threads per second. Not very different from mine.

Top Bottom