Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

Sorry for not replying to this and your other queries sooner.

I think this is something I need to look into further. I have a feeling that the times are some how being saved as GMT instead of your time.

One factor could be the configured server time.

Why is prize value hard coded to GBP?
"For reporting purposes, please enter the prize value. Numbers only. £ GBP is assumed."

I went ahead and bought this because I like contests and I know Chris does good work. I haven't tried it live yet but I can see some things it needs.

One being it needs a way for members to get extra entries. Say you have it set to allow everyone to enter. Then it would be nice to be able to set it so people can earn extra entries once they have made x amount of new posts or x amount of new threads or this or that.

Also what is the difference between competition and prize draw?

Only a single currency is supported because it's simply an internal reporting or marketing metric.

One day you can say you've given away $Xxxxx worth of prizes.

You can change the phrase if it is important.

As I said earlier to people. You should only buy add-ons if they do the things you need now :-)

If you create a prize draw its wording is changed from competition to prize draw. That's the only thing.

I personally bought this add-on in hope, that my purchase will support the future development of it. In this stage it is really far away from the state I want it to be. It might meet the requirements of few people, but seeing the amount of requests in this thread I am sure that I am not the only one who wants to see some really useful and for us also necessary features implemented in this anyway awesome add-on. It is just far from perfect for me.

Buying an add-on doesn't guarantee that you will get the features you need.

For example if you feel it is absolutely essential that when a competition closes, a trained monkey takes a bus to the winner's house to personally deliver the prize; well unfortunately your absolutely essential feature will never be implemented.

Of course I'm sure your demands are much more realistic. But my point is that there's still a chance you might get disappointed, and I don't want that to happen.

But obviously any suggestions will be considered. Unfortunately the development of this may be quite slow to begin with but we'll hopefully pick up steam soon once a few other things are sorted out (Gallery etc ;))

I have "View all competitions" turned on for all groups so that people can see past competitions as well. However, if they are a guest viewing a completed competition they get the "You must be logged in to enter this competition" error message (even though the competition is actually closed & can't be entered) instead of viewing the results of competition that would show the winners.

Any quick hacks I can do to always show the results of completed competitions?

I don't remember seeing it listed here but is there a way to see which members entered without looking at there member card?

How are you guys handling people who enter that don't read the restrictions? I have at least one person that has entered that isn't in the area that the contest covers. Is there a way to remove that member from the contest before to goes tomorrow?

James

Also just noticed the phrase for Opt In / Opt Out text:
Code:
To activate the Opt-in/Opt-out tickbox, enter a marketing message here. It must clearly inform people what exactly they are signing up to. If the competition sponsors violate our privacy policy or we receive any complaints of spam, then Stuart will likely refuse to deal with the company in question again in either competitions or advertising.

Probably due to an incomplete inclusion of fields from xf_attachment_data, please use XenForo_Model_Attachment::$dataColumns in your query to get all the fields. If you do use that variable and it still doesn't work. Well, then make sure you have at least one instance of XenForo_Model_Attachment initialized (either with XenForo_Model::create or various versions of getModelFromCache).

*This is just a blind guess of course because I myself don't have access to this add-on :D

Hey @Chris Deeming

Sorry if this has been posted before, when disabling this add-on it seems to be messing with registration:

Code:
Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Field 'competition_entries' doesn't have a default value - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
Generated By:Russ, Today at 12:15 AM
Stack Trace
#0 /home/*******/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(297): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /home//*******//public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /home//*******//public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(574): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('INSERT INTO `xf...', Array)
#3 /home//*******//public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1612): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->insert('xf_user', Array)
#4 /home//*******//public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1601): XenForo_DataWriter->_insert()
#5 /home//*******//public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1393): XenForo_DataWriter->_save()
#6 /home//*******//public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php(512): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
#7 /home//*******//public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(337): XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->actionSave()
#8 /home//*******//public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#9 /home//*******//public_html/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#10 {main}

A user tried registering on the site, threw an error, then I tried manually creating the account threw an error.

Enabled the add-on and registration worked again.

Thanks @Russ.

I've already caught and fixed that bug.

This is the fix that will be rolled out in 1.0.3:

Code:
            ALTER TABLE `xf_user`
                CHANGE COLUMN `competition_entries` `competition_entries` BLOB NULL DEFAULT NULL

Run that query in PHP My Admin and there will be no adverse effects while the add-on is disabled.

Thanks @Russ.

I've already caught and fixed that bug.

This is the fix that will be rolled out in 1.0.3:

Code:
            ALTER TABLE `xf_user`
                CHANGE COLUMN `competition_entries` `competition_entries` BLOB NULL DEFAULT NULL

Run that query in PHP My Admin and there will be no adverse effects while the add-on is disabled.

Done appreciate it Chris.

Probably due to an incomplete inclusion of fields from xf_attachment_data, please use XenForo_Model_Attachment::$dataColumns in your query to get all the fields. If you do use that variable and it still doesn't work. Well, then make sure you have at least one instance of XenForo_Model_Attachment initialized (either with XenForo_Model::create or various versions of getModelFromCache).

*This is just a blind guess of course because I myself don't have access to this add-on :D
Just done a grep on the files

Code:
Model/Competition.php:                          $this->getModelFromCache('XenForo_Model_Attachment'); // to get the updated $dataColumns, will not needed with [bd] Attachment Store 0.9.8+
Model/Competition.php:                    attachment.attachment_id, attachment.data_id, attachment.attach_date,' . XenForo_Model_Attachment::$dataColumns;

Will need to wait for @Chris Deeming I think as I can't start the competition with no images, as the sponsoring company isn't happy to.

Top Bottom