• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

CometChat - Facebook style chat bar for xenForo

Hmmm, I thought the price included that ... in that case gotta say, IMO anyway and looking at what we'd use it for, is overpriced in our case.

@CFodder CometService is not mandatory. It is an additional service which can be used if your number of simultaneous users is large. With the default settings (without CometService), we have sites working perfectly with 1000+ simultaneous users.

Yeah same here, can't really justify it for the cost. It'd either overload our server or we'd have to pay $99 per million impressions which could get very expensive.

@RobParker CometChat costs one-time $49 for the Basic Edition and works perfectly for 99% of sites. Unless you are using an oversold shared server or have large number of simultaneous users, you won't need CometService. 99% of our customers do not use CometService. And we have 10000+ customers.

We're on a dedicated server but can have large numbers of simultaneous connections at times. VB just about holds up under the strain, assuming XF is similar then adding cometchat on to the top of it would probably push it over the edge.

Still a very nice product though :-)

Cool... I was hoping you guys would get this integrated... another piece of the puzzle.... check!

Just need flashcoms to have integration, threads to twitter and I'm able to fully convert my main forum.

Is it possible to have timestamps on the messages and a history of what's been said, not just blank when you go back to it?

I've been using this for about 6 or so months (maybe more) on my vB site. Works well, but I had to disable the avatar creation as it was killing the server. Once I did that, it worked fine and has worked fine. I'd like to see it updated more and new features though. One thing I'd like to know is how often my users use it.

For instance, when I had the issues mentioned above, I removed it. I received a lot of complaints about it going away (which is a good thing and why i bothered to track down the issue), but at the same time, was that just the vocal minority? I dunno. Anyway, it's a decent enough product and my users like it.

it's cool but it slows down the website a bit and it puts server under significant load
Thats why when i purchased my first copy of this for vB it was the first premium product i ditched in less then a week.. that was vB 3.8 lol i couldnt imagine this on a 4.0 board..

I like it but wont shell out the cash to test it in a real world environment twice.

I got a vague reply from them when I emailed them.
"CometChat will automatically integrate with your site login i.e. as soon as users login to your site, they will be logged into CometChat. "
I'm not sure how that works. I agree about the concern on server load. It would be nice to have a demo or stats on the issue.

Top Bottom