Design issue Chrome 22 js display...

I can only replicate this in Chrome by turning off JavaScript.

Otherwise, it works normally in Chrome.

Are you sure your JavaScript isn't disabled or turned off in Chrome?

I can only replicate this in Chrome by turning off JavaScript.

Otherwise, it works normally in Chrome.

Are you sure your JavaScript isn't disabled or turned off in Chrome?
Javascript looks to be enabled because of the social sharing buttons - they normally vanish if javascript is off. Good call though, that certainly could have been the reason.

Why is chrome showing the forum descriptions? Not like that on FF and Opera.
Are you using a computer that has a touchscreen and/or Windows 8?

The "touchScreen" it's detected by xenforo.js:

PHP:
if (!XenForo.isTouchBrowser()){XenForo.register('h3.nodeTitle a', 'XenForo.NodeDescriptionTooltip');}

Which is detected by:

PHP:
isTouchBrowser: function(){
    if (XenForo._isTouchBrowser === undefined){
        try {XenForo._isTouchBrowser = !!('ontouchstart' in window);}
        catch(e){XenForo._isTouchBrowser = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('webOS') != -1 ? true : false);}
        }
    return XenForo._isTouchBrowser;
}

So you will see this style for Node Descriptions if js is turned off / or isTouchBrowser is detected (intended since you can't easily hover with touch)

If you visit this page: http://modernizr.github.com/Modernizr/touch.html

For the 'ontouchstart' in window, does it return Yes, or are you using a mobile device?
If so, your browser is detected as a touchscreen and will not display the node description as a tool tip

Usually mobile browsers will contain one of the userAgents: iPad/iPhone/iPod/android/webOS (webOS is used by most mobile phones).

If your browser isn't a touch screen / mobile device, then it is being falsely detected, if that is the case, what version of browser is it?

[note: somebody mentioned that chrome 17 was giving false posotives for the above function:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9294698/touch-screen-detection-chrome-17
Also, see this link :http://xenforo.com/community/threads/chrome-xenforo-istouchbrowser-returns-true.23332/
Chrome 17 was indeed once giving false posotives, but a fix was applied and I belive it would now be detected using: {'ontouchstart' in window} as mentioned in the above code]

Good points on both posts above. He (OP) said it was Chrome, but it could likely be the touchscreen as tenats pointed out above.

And sure enough, I see the descriptions on my iPhone in Safari .

It's fine for me on windows 8 with touchscreen so its not that. I think ENF is right JavaScript problems.

It's fine for me on windows 8 with touchscreen so its not that. I think ENF is right JavaScript problems.
Actually I base my comments on a previous thread where the problem was indeed Windows 8 and a touch screen. It only seems to apply to Chrome and maybe it's only certain circumstances that it does so.

I am on Win8 but not on a touchscreen,

Did you try the link mentioned above:

http://modernizr.github.com/Modernizr/touch.html

What does {'ontouchstart' in window} return as?

I have seen some complaining about touch screen false positives for chrome (Version : 24.0.1276.1) / chromium, but it is as yet unconfirmed :
152149 : http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=152149

Acutally, what do all of the methods return as. For instance, mine return as the following:

'ontouchstart' in window : No
try/catch {document.createEvent("TouchEvent");} : No
'createTouch' in document : No
typeof TouchEvent != "undefined" : No
typeof Touch == "object" : No
"ontouchend" in document : No
NW.Event.isSupported('touchstart') : No

Is this on the Chrome APP(for metro) or chrome on the desktop as I do not have the chrome app.
How do you not have the Chrome app? When I installed Chrome on desktop it automatically installed the Chrome app with it.

Acutally, what do all of the methods return as.
On my non-touchscreen Windows 8 laptop, I get all No except for:
typeof TouchEvent != "undefined" : Yes

My touchscreen desktop is in for repair as the touchscreen started behaving strangely. o_O

Threads merged.

On the topic of forum descriptions being exposed on the index page...

After reading through this thread, it appears this may be a browser or OS problem where the screen is incorrectly identified as a touch screen. Or it may also be a problem with javascript failing to load. For people who have this problem, please install the Chrome browser and check something for me. Visit your forum page and open the dev tools:

Screen shot 2012-12-31 at 11.33.19 PM.webp

That will open the dev area at the bottom of the window. You will see the source code of the page with the <html> tag at the top. Look for these two classes, "hasJs" and "Touch":

Screen shot 2012-12-31 at 11.39.17 PM.webp

The absence of "hasJs", or the presence of "Touch" would both explain why forum descriptions are exposed.

If you can establish one of these two explanations then we can go from there. Both explanations are likely caused by client bugs or misconfigurations and not a bug in XenForo, but we will determine that once you have established an explanation.

Thanks for looking into this Jake.

I just did a few tests. My computer is a touch-screen computer (touch-screen driver is NextWindow Voltron Touch Screen v3.1.3.30). I am running Google Chrome 23.0.1271.97 m on Windows 8 Pro.

When I have the touch-screen driver enabled, I have hasJs and Touch. Forum descriptions are exposed.
When I have the touch-screen driver disabled, I have hasJs but NOT Touch. Forum descriptions are NOT exposed.
(Note: I had to log out and log back in to Windows to get Google Chrome to recognise that I had enabled/disabled the touch screen driver).

Thanks for looking into this Jake.

I just did a few tests. My computer is a touch-screen computer (touch-screen driver is NextWindow Voltron Touch Screen v3.1.3.30). I am running Google Chrome 23.0.1271.97 m on Windows 8 Pro.

When I have the touch-screen driver enabled, I have hasJs and Touch. Forum descriptions are exposed.
When I have the touch-screen driver disabled, I have hasJs but NOT Touch. Forum descriptions are NOT exposed.
(Note: I had to log out and log back in to Windows to get Google Chrome to recognise that I had enabled/disabled the touch screen driver).

Thanks for that. So it's behaving as expected with and without Touch. And Touch is applied only when the driver is enabled on your computer, so that is all working as expected.

Thanks for that. So it's behaving as expected with and without Touch. And Touch is applied only when the driver is enabled on your computer, so that is all working as expected.
I guess so.

But if I load Internet Explorer (or any other browser), I don't get Touch, even though I do have touch screen. Whether or not these other browsers will change their behaviour over time, we will just have to wait to find out.

Also, the question is whether the CSS styles that are applied (i.e., forum descriptions being displayed) are appropriate. They are appropriate for any device without a mouse, but an assumption is made that touch = no mouse, which is obviously not the case.

For now, it might be appropriate to check whether Google Chrome is being used and NOT test for touch screens if that is the case. Something like:
PHP:
isTouchBrowser: function(){
    var isChrome = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('chrome') > -1;
    if (!isChrome && XenForo._isTouchBrowser === undefined){
        try {XenForo._isTouchBrowser = !!('ontouchstart' in window);}
        catch(e){XenForo._isTouchBrowser = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('webOS') != -1 ? true : false);}
        }
    return XenForo._isTouchBrowser;
}

One other thing... I think some of the other people who have posted have issues with forum descriptions being displayed when they don't have a touch screen. I suspect if this is the case that this is a bug in their browser though, as you suggested.

Also, the question is whether the CSS styles that are applied (i.e., forum descriptions being displayed) are appropriate. They are appropriate for any device without a mouse, but an assumption is made that touch = no mouse, which is obviously not the case.

Valid.

Have same issue with all Xenforo sites (on laptop without touch screen). Everywhere hasJs class is missed, while JS is turn on. I've tried to re-install Chrome, but still have this error :confused: . Other browser are ok.

Have same issue with all Xenforo sites (on laptop without touch screen). Everywhere hasJs class is missed, while JS is turn on. I've tried to re-install Chrome, but still have this error :confused: . Other browser are ok.
My original problem was caused by Synaptics Touchpad Driver, then Windows detected my computer has a touch screen.

Top Bottom