Changing placement of Log In/Out?

raytrails

More than once lately (actually at least once a day) I have been clicking the 'Log Out' button instead of 'Alerts' when browsing through a smartphone. Based on the many annoying situations lately with this, I have concluded that such a 'powerful' button should be moved further away from general functions to avoid misclicking and unintentionally logging off.

Please consider a replacement.

Upvote 3
Guess that depends ones social atmosphere. Most people I hang out with are always needing to use one anothers phones because their battery went dead, or they forgot theirs in the car or at home or at their desk etc. So ya, I can see the need for it. I know I'd like a fast way to logout (preferably 1 click).
I'm not following your rationale here.
You lend a cell phone to a friend so they can make a call.
But you feel the need to urgently Log Out of your forum, because they might do something bad under your account name while borrowing your phone ?

You are describing niche use ...

Garamond
Onimua
Qwk86gn
are describing a much more common use.

You don't design software or make rules based on exceptions.

As I see it, there should definitely be a two-click operation for logging out, but marking the forums for read should be one-click. Always two-clicks for powerful functions. Marking forums read is a less powerful function than logging off the forum.
On the contrary, marking all forums read is irreversible and is therefore far more powerful than logging out, which can be corrected quite simply by logging back in.

On the contrary, marking all forums read is irreversible and is therefore far more powerful than logging out, which can be corrected quite simply by logging back in.
Exactly - it's the irreversibility of the action that means that it requires confirmation.

For every one person in the internet cafe that might take another 3 seconds to log out ... it seems there are 10 people using a desktop-based style on a mobile device who accidentally log out when attempting to read their alerts. It must take a very long time to re-type all your information on the mobile device to log back in again ... would it take 2 minutes ?

So saving 3 seconds, costs other users 20 minutes.

It seems like xenforo customers that have more mobile users need the option for Log Out warnings, especially until the release of the Mobile style ?

Are.you.sure.you.want.to.logout.webp

For every one person in the internet cafe that might take another 3 seconds to log out ... it seems there are 10 people using a desktop-based style on a mobile device who accidentally log out when attempting to read their alerts. It must take a very long time to re-type all your information on the mobile device to log back in again ... would it take 2 minutes ?

So saving 3 seconds, costs other users 20 minutes.

It seems like xenforo customers that have more mobile users need the option for Log Out warnings, especially until the release of the Mobile style ?

View attachment 16056
Kier already answered this:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/changing-placement-of-log-in-out.16869/#post-222014

Well, why not just add a confirmation to the log out function? I think most are used to have an extra question before actually logging off. There can hardly be any objections to that?

"Are you sure you want to log off?" is the default way to do it.

xenforo.forum.people.dont.often.log.out.webp

Only 22 votes, but the trend is there: People don't Log Out.

I think the community has spoken ... more people than not want a Logout warning (for many reasons). In some respects, Logging out, especially on a mobile device, is destructive. It takes more time than it should to log back in and people don't want to be logged out.

POLL: Do you ever Log Out ?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/do-you-ever-log-out-forums.17042/

The lack of upload confirmations for image uploading is a really slick feature in Xenforo. Contributing images to a Xenforo forum is very satisfying. This same lack of confirmation for Logging Out doesn't make sense. When surfing the forums on a full desktop computer, logging back in isn't that hard, so accidental Log Outs aren't too annoying. For the foreseeable future, people will be using the default xenforo style on devices lacking physical keyboards and small screen sizes. Certainly the Mobile Style definitely needs a Logout Warning and there is no clear justification for not having a logout warning in the default xenforo style.

Of course, at the end of the day, this is a small issue.
So no one needs their knickers in a knot.
But, it seems clear, that the default xenforo behavio(u)r isn't what people want.

I think the community has spoken ... more people than not want a Logout warning
How do you reach that conclusion based on a poll about logging out?

Where in the poll does it ask about log out confirmation?

As for more people than not, there are over 8,000 registered members here on xenforo.com.
22 votes out of over 8,000 members is not "more people than not".

I encourage people to come to their own conclusions.
That's how I feel.
Feel free to disagree.
When I read all the posts ... I think people have made persuasive arguments that the default behavior should be altered.
I haven't seen any good sound argument for the current method.

I think Garamond's request is a good idea.
FWIW, I don't care about this request, as I don't surf forums with less than 2 17 inch monitors, let alone a pocketable mobile device.

I see phpBB3 has no warning for Logout. But they don't have the excellent Alerts button right beside the Logout. So they probably don't have users logging themselves out accidentally.

As for more people than not, there are over 8,000 registered members here on xenforo.com. 22 votes out of over 8,000 members is not "more people than not".
I be happy to talk statistics if you like.
On election night, you don't need to wait until the 8,000th vote is out to know who the statistically likely winner will be. When the vote ratio is 22:1 ... the choice is clear. I don't believe there has been a poll that lopsided here yet.

How do you reach that conclusion based on a poll about logging out?

Where in the poll does it ask about log out confirmation?

As for more people than not, there are over 8,000 registered members here on xenforo.com.
22 votes out of over 8,000 members is not "more people than not".
I seem to remember a similar poll that was 'the majority'.

:rolleyes:.

Well i have to agree ive logged myself out a few times whilst trying to hit the alerts button on my iphone - frustrating as hell.

But apparently its sorted in the next version so i guess we shall to wait until then.

Top Bottom