Implemented Change The Star For Watched Threads!

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
How about this?
30vg107.jpg

I've always thought the star conflicted with the use of stars elsewhere (ratings and "starring" conversations), makes it seem more like you've starred/bookmarked that thread.

I know when I'm watching a thread because I watch all threads I reply in, but I think something more relevant to watching would be ideal.

I've always thought the star conflicted with the use of stars elsewhere (ratings and "starring" conversations), makes it seem more like you've starred/bookmarked that thread.

I know when I'm watching a thread because I watch all threads I reply in, but I think something more relevant to watching would be ideal.

However, starring conversations is consistent with some email providers (Gmail for one), so that one is much less confusing.

However, starring conversations is consistent with some email providers (Gmail for one), so that one is much less confusing.

Yeah, that is what I was looking at and then thought, would the specs really fit or rather wouldn't it contradict "starred Conversation"?. Perhaps change it to "watch Conversation" add the spec icon on the xenforo-ui-spritesheet And whilst there remove those icons as suggested here to make room for the new icon. Pending @Mike is accommodating such a suggestion.

Last edited:
This is my suggestion courtesy of @Shelley which is used in my Thread Watchers add-on:

shelley_specs_renameaccordinly-png.36717

@Qwk86gn
how do we add this to xenforo using Stylish in Firefox? I added this to the redactor custom blue stylesheet but it's not working.

Code:
.discussionListItem .iconKey .watched {
    height: 16px;
    width: 22px;
}
.discussionListItem .iconKey span {
    background: url("http://i41.tinypic.com/2n4v9d.jpg") no-repeat;
    float: right;
    margin-left: 5px;
}

Last edited:
Since XF doesn't have star ratings (that I can see), I interpreted the star as a Favorite.

Confusion can occur because the RM does use the star image for ratings. Using the image should be consistent across all XenForo software, not have 2 or more interpretations. I, and I assume a few other add-on developers as well, also use the star image for ratings. The forum is where that interpretation gets fuzzy dependening on who you talk to.

And for future thought: What happens when/if threads get ratings? The image would need to be changed anyway.

Confusion can occur because the RM does use the star image for ratings. Using the image should be consistent across all XenForo software, not have 2 or more interpretations. I, and I assume a few other add-on developers as well, also use the star image for ratings. The forum is where that interpretation gets fuzzy dependening on who you talk to.

And for future thought: What happens when/if threads get ratings? The image would need to be changed anyway.

Slightly off topic but have you ever seen an effective thread rating system? I've never rated a thread, I don't think it's ever beneficial.

Though I do agree that consistency is key and you can't use the same images with different interpretations.

Slightly off topic but have you ever seen an effective thread rating system? I've never rated a thread, I don't think it's ever beneficial.

Though I do agree that consistency is key and you can't use the same images with different interpretations.

Good question. I would have to say No regarding the thread rating system since it seldom used. In short, I would never see a use for it but Resources imo are different, it's interactive, it really serves a purpose and is practical. But never say never since thread ratings on other <insert software here> were poor imo I would not underestimate xenforo in coming up with something innovative, user friendly and interactively sound like they did for the RM.

On-topic: I personally think the spectacles convey nicely and think Chris's suggestion is a good one. @Mike - if you require the PSD for the spectacle icon I can certainly throw that over if you are needing it, again if this suggestion is being accommodated.

When watching a stuck thread, the icon doesn't really fit either. Not nearly as "crisp" as the others.

save.webp

The star is 18x18, the other two are 16x16 also.

@Qwk86gn
how do we add this to xenforo using Stylish in Firefox? I added this to the redactor custom blue stylesheet but it's not working.

Code:
.iconKey .watched {
}
.iconKey span {
  background: url("http://i41.tinypic.com/2n4v9d.jpg") no-repeat transparent;
  float: right;
  margin-left: 5px;
  text-indent: -10000em;
}

Hmm. no go, I can't get the image to load but will keep trying.

Top Bottom