XF 2.1 Can not update

There are several reasons that might occur, depending on your server configuration, and they are not all about write permissions. I'm still trying to get one forum to be able to use the ACP upgrade feature. I think in my case it's an ownership issue - I'll know if this worked when the next update occurs.

In the meantime, just upload the files via FTP or cPanel File Manager and run the upgrade manually.

It's not just write permissions, although I know that's what the XF error message says. You also need to check file and directory ownership. They need to be the same and I think they need to be the same as whatever is running PHP, normally the name of the account but sometimes "nobody" or Apache or something else depending on the server configuration.

Well, it is just write permissions, but file/directory ownership impacts write permissions. If only the file owner has write permissions, but the owner is not the same user that PHP runs as, then PHP does not have write permissions.

Well the error message needs to be more verbose and note which directory can't be written to because I checked and the root directory, files, and folders all have write permissions for php.

The test attempts to check write permissions on the file it is in, which would be src/XF/Install/_upgrader/core.php, but your entire installation (all files, recursively) must be writable by the user PHP is running under to use the one-click upgrade system.

The test attempts to check write permissions on the file it is in, which would be src/XF/Install/_upgrader/core.php, but your entire installation (all files, recursively) must be writable by the user PHP is running under to use the one-click upgrade system.

Oooookay this can be caused by permissions not being set after doing a manual upgrade.

Thanks for helping me resolve this Jeremy!

Top Bottom