Better Blogs [Deleted]

After I manually delete BB with these queries my site keeps showing this an error while my admin panel shows this:
Server Error
Mysqli prepare error: Table 'myforum_test.xfa_blog' doesn't exist

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
  4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 753
  5. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchRow() in XenForo/Model/User.php at line 397
  6. XenForo_Model_User->getUserById() in XenForo/Model/User.php at line 883
  7. XenForo_Model_User->getVisitingUserById() in XfAddOns/Blogs/Override/Model/User.php at line 21
  8. XfAddOns_Blogs_Override_Model_User->getVisitingUserById() in XenForo/Visitor.php at line 407
  9. XenForo_Visitor::setup() in XenForo/Session.php at line 366
  10. XenForo_Session::startAdminSession() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 48
  11. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->_setupSession() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 304
  12. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 336
  13. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  14. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /admin.php at line 13
Once I close the admin panel I am logged out and I can't log in anymore.
After I remove the BB files (library/xfaddons/blog) then the site works again. But now its no longer possible to reinstall, because as soon as the BB files are put into place, I am locked out again with this server error.

What to do?

For the next install I have the max execution time set to 30 minutes. Hopefully that will do it.

But the BB installation file already increases max_execution_time to 0. The server wide max exe time is 5 minutes. Maybe my site is just too big.
The 30 minutes is definitely too long already, even 15 minutes, it does not take that. It installs in less than a minute in all the tests I have done. Let me know how that goes, I hope there is nothing else killing the process. After the install let me know if there is an error in the error log.

After I manually delete BB with these queries my site keeps showing this an error while my admin panel shows this:

Once I close the admin panel I am logged out and I can't log in anymore.
After I remove the BB files (library/xfaddons/blog) then the site works again. But now its no longer possible to reinstall, because as soon as the BB files are put into place, I am locked out again with this server error.

What to do?

For the next install I have the max execution time set to 30 minutes. Hopefully that will do it.
I see. It is running the listeners even though the addon is no longer installed.

This is a silly workaround, install an add-on (any add-on will do, it does not matter), and uninstall it. That will force the listeners to be rebuilt, and will remove the listeners from the blogs.

We removed the listeners from the database, but they are most likely serialized into the datastore cache already.

Which means from now on I need to do an uninstaller, since it is not possible to delete an add-on from database alone.

Which means from now on I need to do an uninstaller, since it is not possible to delete an add-on from database alone.
Thank You!
The 30 minutes is definitely too long already, even 15 minutes, it does not take that. It installs in less than a minute in all the tests I have done.
It definitely takes over 5 minutes.

EDIT: tried it again. Same result. The installation goes haywire. XF logs no errors this time.
The server error log will have more information.

Last edited:
Rigel Kentaurus updated Better Blogs [1.2 compatible] with a new update entry:
1.0.28 Download customization, Year summary

If you like this add-on, please post a review. It takes 1 minute and I enjoy the feedback! :)

Existing Customers - Download here: http://xfaddons.com/index.php?forums/better-blogs.10/
New Customers: Click on "Buy Now" on top of this thread for instant delivery to your email

If you don't have access send me a conversation with your username at xfaddons.com and your paypal transaction id
========================

New features

• Added the ability to download a customization, and re-upload it to the blog
b1-png.57240
  • Added a new "Browse entries by year and month" option that will display a summary of the blog
b2-png.57241
Changes
  • The Blog Home Page and All Blogs Page will now always show with the default forum Page Container
  • Added the possibility to customize the colors of the Sidebar
b3-png.57242
  • You are now able to specify a Google Analytics ID that will apply only for the blogs (to track statistics separately)
Bug fixes
  • The "scheduled entries" panel was appearing as empty when there were no scheduled entries
  • The Entry title on the blog home page was overflowing the title container
  • When a user was in the "Watched Blogs" section, it would appear as "Unknown page" in the Online users
  • Privacy issue: In Online Users, Member Card and Member view, it would be possible to see the title of the entry a user was browsing

I have @Chris Deeming to thank for this solution. And I figure I'd share it. :)

If you happen to wish to have your Blogs above (before) your forum tab, simply do thus...

library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Template/Navigation.php

look for
PHP:
      self::addLinkToBlogsHomePage($extraTabs, $selectedTabId, 'middle');
change to
PHP:
      self::addLinkToBlogsHomePage($extraTabs, $selectedTabId, 'home');
Want to correct myself....

Look for
PHP:
    {
       self::addLinkToBlogsHomePage($extraTabs, $selectedTabId, 'middle');
     }
     else
     {
       self::addLinkToMyBlog($extraTabs, $selectedTabId, 'middle');
     }
And replace "middle" (which is there 2x) with "home" so when done it will look like this
PHP:
    {
       self::addLinkToBlogsHomePage($extraTabs, $selectedTabId, 'home');
     }
     else
     {
       self::addLinkToMyBlog($extraTabs, $selectedTabId, 'home');
     }

Reactions: DRE
I'm taking suggestions for Better Blogs here -
http://xfaddons.com/forums/suggestions.16/

Or post them here, I'll create a thread there. Your choice. Try to give me enough details so I would understand understand the suggestion.

I don't make any promises, but if I like it, I'll implement it.
And if you want to have it whether I like it or not, you can hire me on commission.

Reactions: DRE
This is impressive! If I can peel myself away from GTA V I will make suggestions very soon.

I'm taking suggestions for Better Blogs here -
http://xfaddons.com/forums/suggestions.16/

Or post them here, I'll create a thread there. Your choice. Try to give me enough details so I would understand understand the suggestion.

I don't make any promises, but if I like it, I'll implement it.
And if you want to have it whether I like it or not, you can hire me on commission.

I think you should also insist that anyone posting suggestions here to post them at your site also it allows you to keep track of everything and mark it up (prefix) so people know if a suggestion is going to be included/declined. Excellent work btw with this blog from the tinkering around i've done in firebug it's evolved into a nice product @Rigel Kentaurus :)

Thank You!

It definitely takes over 5 minutes.

EDIT: tried it again. Same result. The installation goes haywire. XF logs no errors this time.
The server error log will have more information.
Let me know if you have more information. What intrigues me most is that you have been able to complete the installation, at least once. It is not like the installer changed too much between versions, it is the same logic, maybe some more constructs. Anything you can give me I can star tracing it from there XenForo error log, server error log, or PHP error log

You are so far the only one with installation issues

Since most likely you are on dedicated / VPS, if I did a "console installer" would you be able to SSH to your box and run it ?

I think you should also insist that anyone posting suggestions here to post them at your site also it allows you to keep track of everything and mark it up (prefix) so people know if a suggestion is going to be included/declined. Excellent work btw with this blog from the tinkering around i've done in firebug it's evolved into a nice product @Rigel Kentaurus :)
That's ideal, definitely :) What I have been doing so far is anytime someone suggests something, I create a thread there so I can track it and keep memory of what has been suggested so far :) But most likely I don't have all the suggestions. The member at my site also add their own things on the checklist, like the ability to download a customization.

I have yet to include all the awesome style feedback that I got from the other thread, most likely next version I will have it

The add-on is getting really big, I am not out of ideas, but I welcome ideas from other people :)

I'm still torn between this and XI Blogs.

My main issue with this is the appearance. I know there was some discussion but you do plan on working on the design anytime soon?

About the appearance

Here is a blog with XI Blog
Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 3.13.37 AM.webp

Here is a blog with Better Blogs
Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 3.14.04 AM.webp

I took the screenshots literally a minute ago from XenFluence and XfAddOns, you can decide yourself which one you like best.

Regardless, I am going to implement anyway all the design suggestions that were given to me here. Because there is valuable feedback there.

You can see the whole feature set of Better Blogs here

Excellent :-)

A few other questions.

I just tested it and it seems by default the blog is titled with your username but you can customise this. Does this mean each blog is tied to a single user? We'd quite like several people to contribute entries to the same blog, is that possible?

Excellent :)

A few other questions.

I just tested it and it seems by default the blog is titled with your username but you can customise this. Does this mean each blog is tied to a single user? We'd quite like several people to contribute entries to the same blog, is that possible?
No, that is not possible. Multi-authors and having multiple blogs is not a feature.
You have categories, though.

Top Bottom