Better Blogs [Deleted]

Thank you.

Okay, so I downloaded the style you provided, and made it a child of my main theme. All looks pretty good so far. However, when visiting xfa-blogs/username.1 the javascript in the main navigation stops working. It does not allow the dropdown menu to appear.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Okay, so I downloaded the style you provided, and made it a child of my main theme. All looks pretty good so far. However, when visiting xfa-blogs/username.1 the javascript in the main navigation stops working. It does not allow the dropdown menu to appear.

Thanks.
Do you have a URL in which I could check that ?
I cannot reproduce that in http://xfaddons.com/index.php?xfa-blogs/kentaurus.1/

Sure, can you enable private messaging?

When your addon is turned on it kills my responsive style. Is there anything it is doing to any shared css files?

Sure, can you enable private messaging?

When your addon is turned on it kills my responsive style. Is there anything it is doing to any shared css files?

Private messaging enabled.

The addon does not do anything to the shared css files, but it does add more style definitions. Try disabling the "B" blog indicator in posts, as that particular feature adds a new stylesheet and I suspect that might not play along with a heavily modified style.

Screen Shot 2012-09-29 at 1.38.03 AM.webp

I now see why you released it like this. No header personalizes the user's blog even further if they have a vanity subdomain.

1. Couldn't you configure a user preference so that a member can decide whether they want their header turned on or off or not? I was thinking about doing that as a user custom field configurable option in preferences.

2. Can we change the name of the root prefix 'xfa-blogs' to something else?

3. So if someone's username was 'blog' and already was a blog on the site (LNBlogs) for example is http://8thos.com/blogs) would the vanity username go to http://blogs.8thos.com and if so would the original LNBlogs installation still work?

'Included functionality for vanity subdomains, give each user their own subdomain (e.g. john.xensample.com, peter.xensample.com)'

^^^

If a user changes their name... What happens to their blog name when using vanity subdomains?

I now see why you released it like this. No header personalizes the user's blog even further if they have a vanity subdomain.

1. Couldn't you configure a user preference so that a member can decide whether they want their header turned on or off or not? I was thinking about doing that as a user custom field configurable option in preferences.

Everytime I add options, very few people actually use them. I have seen more than 90% of the people just using the defaults. It turns out to be just more stuff to debug. I think the site admin can decide that.

2. Can we change the name of the root prefix 'xfa-blogs' to something else?
I haven't researched if Jake's Route Changer would work - http://xenforo.com/community/resources/route-changer.447/ - it might. As for something built in, there is no functionality for that.

a3. So if someone's username was blog and already was a blog on thea site (LNBlogs route prefix for example is 8thos.com/blog) vanity usame, would remain something like 'http://blog.8thos.com'
actually go to the user's page and would the other lnblog extension still work?

The customized urls are subdomains, so the wouldn't really collide. And, since I am using xfa-blog at my path and the LN Blog addon is just using "blog" both of them could potentially be installed and it wouldn't matter.

4th question. If a user changes their name. What happens to their blog name?
It changes, to the new username. It always maps to the username, there is a cron job that runs on a nightly basis that reconciles all the username changes, so even if someone does it directly in the database it would end up being reassigned for the blog.

Everytime I add options, very few people actually use them. I have seen more than 90% of the people just using the defaults. It turns out to be just more stuff to debug. I think the site admin can decide that.

I haven't researched if Jake's Route Changer would work - http://xenforo.com/community/resources/route-changer.447/ - it might. As for something built in, there is no functionality for that.

The customized urls are subdomains, so the wouldn't really collide. And, since I am using xfa-blog at my path and the LN Blog addon is just using "blog" both of them could potentially be installed and it wouldn't matter.

It changes, to the new username. It always maps to the username, there is a cron job that runs on a nightly basis that reconciles all the username changes, so even if someone does it directly in the database it would end up being reassigned for the blog.
Wow. You put a lot of thought and work into this. Where is our blog RSS link?

Everytime I add options, very few people actually use them.
Please add more options. The reason people don't use them is because they probably didn't see it or wasn't paying attention. For instance, on my site I sometimes talk to members individually and guide them or do it for them so they can see how it's done. They end up spreading the knowledge to others. Sometimes knowledge is infectious if you feed it to em right. I would use all those options and configure people's options for them.

I am watching this resource and trying to figure out how to implement this for my students. Last year, each student's blog was mapped a domain in WordPress. This worked because there were only 17 kids. This time, I have a whole academy of students - 160 kids plus the AP kids. Therefore, mapping is out of the question.

Is there a way so the admin determines who gets a blog? In other words, not anyone gets one but only designated members. Maybe a select group could be set to have the blog? I could create "student" as the group and they have permission to blog.

I am watching this resource and trying to figure out how to implement this for my students. Last year, each student's blog was mapped a domain in WordPress. This worked because there were only 17 kids. This time, I have a whole academy of students - 160 kids plus the AP kids. Therefore, mapping is out of the question.

Is there a way so the admin determines who gets a blog? In other words, not anyone gets one but only designated members. Maybe a select group could be set to have the blog? I could create "student" as the group and they have permission to blog.
Usergroup permissions probably.

This addon KILLED my site when I put 8thos.com in the second entry in the Blog Multi site options. How the hell do I change it?

Installed and now have two one questions.

Menu

To get rid of blogs link:
Code:
li.navTab.xfa-my-blog {
display: none;
}

Now, how do I get the link in the drop down for member accounts?

Image below:
Better Blogs Add Link Here.webp

I tested on xfaddons.com:

Where can I see the list of all blogs (not recent, not new - simply all)?
How about a link from the member profile page to his blog?
Customization: I change the colors on my blog but as soon as I leave the page its gone (tested in Firefox and Opera)?

Private messaging enabled.

The addon does not do anything to the shared css files, but it does add more style definitions. Try disabling the "B" blog indicator in posts, as that particular feature adds a new stylesheet and I suspect that might not play along with a heavily modified style.

View attachment 34820

Yup, when I disabled the "B" it fixed it. Blog updates are still not showing up on the main page though. The little number near the categories also does not change as content is added. I set the cache for 1 minute.

Top Bottom