Better Analytics

Better Analytics 3.1.1

No permission to download
You are doing server-side Analytics tracking for non-human users (you are doing it for even search engine spiders).

Disable the option for tracking users with Analyitcs blockers. Or at least turn it down to just logged in users.

You are doing server-side Analytics tracking for non-human users (you are doing it for even search engine spiders).

Disable the option for tracking users with Analyitcs blockers. Or at least turn it down to just logged in users.
Adjusting this option to "users logged in" dropped my forum google analytics live view from 241 to 80
The XF Online statistics reports: 39 members, 145 guests, 61 bots = 245

Consider this case closed and once again thanks for the support. Big fan of your work and your quick replies in here confirmed your excellence.

There isn't an option to show them a message, but you could do this to determine if the user is blocking analytics (PHP code):

PHP:
$customFields = XenForo_Visitor::getInstance()->get('customFields');
if (substr(@$customFields['analytics_cid'], 0, 2) == 'DP')
{
   // user is blocking Analytics... do something here
}

There isn't an option to show them a message, but you could do this to determine if the user is blocking analytics (PHP code):

PHP:
$customFields = XenForo_Visitor::getInstance()->get('customFields');
if (substr(@$customFields['analytics_cid'], 0, 2) == 'DP')
{
   // user is blocking Analytics... do something here
}

Could this custom field be added as an option for XF Notices in a future plugin update?

Sorry to be a pain. I have this installed now. Are there any options? Do I need to do anything in GA to get it working?

Many thanks

My source code outputs this:

Code:
//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js

Is there a way to always use https:// ?

Thanks!

Hi! I've just tried to install this on my local test installation and this error's popping up on the whole site:

Code:
Fatal error: Access to undeclared static property: DigitalPointBetterAnalytics_Listener_ControllerPreDispatch::$backendLogging in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\diabetes.co.uk_2016\forum\library\DigitalPointBetterAnalytics\Listener\ControllerPostDispatch.php on line 13

Any help you can give would be rad - cheers.

Edit: If anyone else is having this issue, removing or renaming the \forum\library\DigitalPointBetterAnalytics\ folder fixed the issue and allowed me once again to access my site.

Last edited:
Just purchased a license for this. So far I really like it, but I am running into a couple of problems:

First, if I have tracking for attachments enabled, my "active users" number goes through the roof! Turning off tracking for attachments solves the problem.

Second, some users will be counted twice. I'll see them pop up on the Real-Time map, counted as two active users. Watching what they are looking at, it usually shows two different pages, but sometimes it shows the same page with a count of 1, yet still shows as two active users. See the pic..... strange?

2 or 1.webp

is there anyway to add my own/other tracking code while also using this? I've discovered this add on stops google_analytics file from working which isn't a bad thing, I guess but I want to add some heatmap tracking on my site before I redesign

Just purchased a license for this. So far I really like it, but I am running into a couple of problems:

First, if I have tracking for attachments enabled, my "active users" number goes through the roof! Turning off tracking for attachments solves the problem.

Second, some users will be counted twice. I'll see them pop up on the Real-Time map, counted as two active users. Watching what they are looking at, it usually shows two different pages, but sometimes it shows the same page with a count of 1, yet still shows as two active users. See the pic..... strange?

View attachment 128340
Attachment tracking will cause that because you will end up logging things like spiders (non-humans) that are downloading your attachments since the tracking is server-side. You can't trigger JavaScript based on an HTTP request to the server that isn't for an HTML page, so that's why it's server-side for that.

Google Analytics considers a "user" based on different criteria than XenForo does. Sometimes they align, but not all the time. For example if someone goes to a page as a guest user and then logs in and refreshes the same page, Google Analytics is going to see that as 2 different users.

is there anyway to add my own/other tracking code while also using this? I've discovered this add on stops google_analytics file from working which isn't a bad thing, I guess but I want to add some heatmap tracking on my site before I redesign

Not sure what your google_analytics file is, but if you are wanting to use your own code, easiest to just do that (use your own code), and not use the add-on since mostly it generates different Google Analytics JavaScript code.

Top Bottom