Beta 6 Mobile Discussion

TNCclubman

can no longer view pictures with slideshow on the iPhone.

thumbnails open to a new page to show picture. slideshow doesnt show up at all.

any stats are rapidly becoming useless. New mobile users this year are beating all previous years combined. We need to be aware of this. Not letting the train leave the station with us on the platform. xF is ahead of the industry. This isnt vB. lol

iTuN3r / Peggy :
It is clear you are "Super" interested in mobile browsing.
You therefore must already know this information:

(1) what percentage of hits on your site is from a mobile device ?
(2) How long do mobile users stay on your site ?
(3) what percentage of your core users access the forums a majority of the TIME on a mobile device ?
(4) what percent of google ad revenue is from mobile devices

:) I don't think I said I was interested in mobile browsing. I said that I do alot of mobile browsing.

Since I just opened a site that I co-own with others, I wouldn't have that info yet. Perhaps I'm different from most, but - I don't really care about the percentage of hits from mobile browsers, nor how long they stay on my site(s), nor what percentage of google ad revenue is from mobile devices (I don't use google ads, altho my partners may). My only concern is that members can browse my site(s) easily, using their mobile devices.

not everyone needs to believe any of what Im saying. We can do nothing about it and play catch up in 12 months. This is what the software LEADERS do. Im done convincing people on whats to come.

On one of my sites, if I'm reading this correctly.
Last month browser visits: 38,371
Mobile Visits 2,899 % of Site Total: 7.56%

And if I compare mobile users from this past month compared to last year.
This month 2,899
Last year same period: 1,562 (85.60%)
That is a significant jump.

I don't have a phone capable of web browsing :(

I buy cheap phones because I keep losing phones for the same reason over and over again. It seems I get caught in the rain all the time more than a mile from a single building or shelter of any sort.

My last phone was lost do to snow. I was on foot and a call came in. Snow killed the phone as I was talking. :(

Not worth it to have a super fancy phone because sometimes I have to talk in the rain and the rain kills the phone.

Discussion of what the percentage of users on vB/XF/IPB site are using mobile is almost irrelevant. Why? Because the experience is largely painful. As long as that's true, you are seeing hugely skewed data. The reality is that facebook is a better barometer of what the public *interest* is like in participating in social networking while on mobile platforms. And they DO get a huge number of folks using FB while they are on a mobile platform.

The mobile users are there, in ever increasing hordes. Given their engagement on FaceBook, twitter, Youtube etc, there is no reason whatsoever to assume that they will not engage equally well on a forum system that has specifically targeted the mobile experience as more than an afterthought.

Kier and Mike have been quite clear that they ARE targeting mobile users, it's just that the primary part of their design for mobile users isn't here yet. Once we get the mobile skin they have been planning all along, I'm betting it'll knock our collective socks off! XF with it's heavy use of jQuery is *perfectly* positioned to make ideal use of the jQuery mobile project (which is an awesome, awesome solution). XF is going to BE a killer platform for mobile users.

Just wait. ;)

I really can't believe there are people who are trying to pretend mobile users are such a small segment or just not important. If you aren't optimizing your sites for mobile, tablet, and computer browsing you are way behind.

I've plugged this a couple times because this is an active project I'm working on but... Digital Doctor that is a mobile style I did, fully functional however current styles are not kept per session browsing, but account based. So... basically if you go to the mobile site on your phone, it'll stay when you go back to your desktop, Mike did mention he made an adjustment for this in Beta 6 but it still seems to be the same old way :(

Anywho... my new baby... pride and joy... should have new updates soon
jqmobile.webp jqmobile2.webp jqmobile3.webp

iTuN3r / Peggy :
It is clear you are "Super" interested in mobile browsing.
You therefore must already know this information:

(1) what percentage of hits on your site is from a mobile device ?
(2) How long do mobile users stay on your site ?
(3) what percentage of your core users access the forums a majority of the TIME on a mobile device ?
(4) what percent of google ad revenue is from mobile devices ?

Edit: There is VERY Little discussion about Mobile Browsing and Xenforo ... there is a Mobile Style ....

XFStop Mobile Style

1-png.7332

Isn't that pretty helpful ?

40% of my time i don't get to access forums from PC so it's all iphone only .

If I used this style ... would this style automatically be the default if someone landed on my site with android / iphone / other mobile devices ?
I set mine up to where if you browse to m.xfstop.com it will automatically go to the mobile version, but the way the styles are setup on xenforo it's account based, so if i style changes on an account, it'll stay that way even on the desktop. To my best knowledge* that is what's lacking on the mobile side I feel :X

Just did some quick digging in analytics to do a rough year over year comparison.
Comparing Jan 13 2010->Jan 12 2011 to Jan 13 2009 -> Jan 12 2011

We had virtually no mobile traffic until Nov 2009 when we hacked together a mobile solution (crappy, but it's better than nothing). So throwing out everything except the November, December and Jan datapoints we're seeing an average of about a 200% increase in mobile traffic year over year. The Avg time on site, Pages/Visit and Bounce rate are all a LOT worse than on non-mobile. One of our design criteria in the next version of our site is going to be becoming as mobile friendly as we can. Lightweight, fast, and mobile friendly should be watchwords for any new development IMO.

Not catering to mobile is a self-fulfilling problem. You don't SEE mobile users on your site, if your site sucks at the mobile user experience, it's that simple.

YMMV wide of course! :)

The vast majority of XenForo.com traffic still comes from desktop browsers.
Desktop 96.23%
Mobile 3.76%
Kier: what software is that ?

Not catering to mobile is a self-fulfilling problem. You don't SEE mobile users on your site, if your site sucks at the mobile user experience, it's that simple.
Indeed.

Hopefully xenforo's popular alerts looks good on the mobile version ! Maybe if you are surfing via a mobile device .... if you get an alert xenforo will send you a Twitter / Facebook message ? :)

Top Bottom