XF 2.0 Best way to set permissions for staff area?

jeb35

We have this forum with a staff area and its seems I have to do a couple different steps to make sure permissions are set correctly.

staff area.webp

All I wanna do is have it so vip user group can access vip chat, Moderators can access moderator and vip, Amins can access admin, moderator and vip. Do administrators actually need to be checked for the moderating secondary user group? Cause it seems like if I disallow moderating to view admin chat then admins can't see admin chat, and I had an issue where moderators could see admin chat and until I actually had to create a special permission to where moderator couldn't view administrator chat node. I thought adminstrator group overuled moderating? I guess I could create a demo and some users and test permissions that way but was hoping someone here has a better solution. I would think its just a matter of setting permissions for the nodes and then taking a user and set secondary user group accordingly for whatever they need access to? Right now Staff Area is set to private node.

We originally had 1.5 so I could actually test persmissions by username so I could see what they could see. Now with 2.0 you can't. I'm kinda hesitant to go about fixing this

If you need any more screen shots let me know. Thanks.

In node permissions, check "Private Node" for all of them.
Then for VIP Chat node permissions, set "View Node" to yes for VIP, mods and admins.
For Moderators Chat, set that permission for mods and admins, not VIP.
For Administrator Chat, set that permission only for admins.

I have set everything the way @Solidus has noted and it seems everything is working correctly. I've been using my test account and making it regular member, vip, moderator, admin just to make sure it can only see what its supposed to see. However, I want to fix this last issue.

How do I remove the moderators in red at the bottom. I've been fixing this issue by just changing permissions to inherit and they get removed from that list. These will not delete. I even tried removing them as moderators and setting them up again and still shows up like this. Both are already set as moderating secondary user group and assigned as moderators.

permissions.webp

Top Bottom