Implemented "Best answer" function.

bookmark

Typically,many users will create a thread to ask some questions and others will answer with posts.This is very popular in many forums.
I need the "Best answer" button in every following post and the thread creator could choose which would be the best answer for him.
It will more efficient if other users have similar question and they can find the answers quickly.

I don't know whether I states clearly.;)

Upvote 52
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This idea originated from this thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-first-post-on-every-page.4173/page-2#post-66113

The basic concept is that majority of threads in a forum are centered around a question or a query. Of course, some threads are general discussions but a lot of threads have some posts that answers the topic in question.

Likes already exist to highlight such post but in a long thread with multiple pages, it would be hard for a new visitor to check out the most liked posts.

The feature request I am making here is to enable mods to highlight certain posts that are likely to contain the solution for the topic being discussed. The same feature can be used to highlight posts that are worth checking out in a thread. Like highlights the posts but from what I can see there is no easy way to checkout the most liked posts in a thread. Sorting is of course not an option because it would break the conversation flow.

Of course, I cannot think of how it can be done. So, I am looking forward to suggestions and inputs from the members of this forum.

The basic concept is that majority of threads in a forum are centered around a question or a query.
That very much depends on the main subject of the forum.
The forums I mainly use are very much discussion oriented with little or no questions/queries.

As such, I don't think this is a candidate for a core feature but would instead be better off as a mod.

i agree with your part that not every forum is based on Q&A. but this is a type of feature that i have not seen in competing products. except for i guess services like getsatisfaction that are based on support related discussions. so decided to put it here for consideration. :)

what i was looking for was a section containing the highlighted posts that are visible on all the pages of a thread somewhere at the bottom.

i hope enough people like this idea to get some mod developer interested in it!

Almost every site has a Q&A section. experts-exchange is one I know that utilizes this method. It would only apply to certain forum sections... I always seen someone create this type of mod. but quickly forgets to upgrade and it falls because of that...

that has always been my problem dealing with mods. only the popular ones are updated regularly because there is a solid demand.

in fact, i never found the vb4 equivalent of Spam Decimator because the developer never updated it. and no third party developer could release the fixed version for vb4 because it was not in GPL.

vbseo guys are running a fixed version on their own forum. but they would not release it. spam killing is painful in vb4 as a result for me!

as for the usability of this suggested feature... it also comes out useful in non Q&A related sections. for example... here on XF...

someone suggests a feature or reports a bug. developers give a response. but the discussion goes on. as a result the developer's own response is lost in the thread.

i have noticed it myself in the discussion about the beta launch date. there are a couple of replies from developers with answers to some basic questions. like payment options, details on using the same license for a separate test installation.

it has received tons of likes but a new visitor to that thread would still not get a chance to check those replies easily. and they would ask the same questions on the latest thread page!

The best answer should be selected like stackoverflow. With some tweaking one can do it with the current Likes system. What you ideally need is to replicate the "Like" button into a "Vote Up" or "Helpful Answer" button. Then the posts get sorted based on the most number of votes. It works spectacularly at stackoverflow and Xen would be, if they do, the first forum system to implement the demand ootb.

Still it's also a great candidate for a MOD.

How about the most liked post in a forum being shown as an inset in the first post, perhaps just the first 50 words from the post and a link to more...

We have plans for a best answer system, though with the current workload I can give no indication as to when it might be implemented in XenForo.

A Q&A forums with best answers would definitely be a great addition. Is this idea still in the works?

For a lot of forums, the labels work well for this - that is, a moderater puts a thread prefix on this....

I am also in need of a QA add-on, but I suspect it doesn't need to be in the core...or even in XF at all (in my case) since I put the questions and answers in there by myself after confirming and editing. But there are other ways to do this- for instance, WP has QA add-ons, and then WP and XF logins can be matched. Or, if it was a XF add-on, whoever wrote it could have some neat features such as allowing you to move parts of a thread there! Example - a mod or admin could look at the thread and select the "add to QA" link - which would then put the entire thread into an editing window of sorts and allow you to select the questions....and then the answer, the answer being able to be built from multiple parts of multiple threads.

That once would seem useful, as it would turn long threads into relatively simple and "blessed" QA content. QA content is more valuable in terms of SEO (IMHO).

I'd donate to that last one........

I am having trouble with this. This seems to be the same problem:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...rn-304-not-modified-if-it-hasnt-been-modified
I will keep working on it.

Jake: do you find StackOverFlow quite helpful ?

The best answer should be selected like stackoverflow. With some tweaking one can do it with the current Likes system. What you ideally need is to replicate the "Like" button into a "Vote Up" or "Helpful Answer" button. Then the posts get sorted based on the most number of votes. It works spectacularly at stackoverflow and Xen would be, if they do, the first forum system to implement the demand ootb.

Still it's also a great candidate for a MOD.

Even though Kier said he had some interest in this idea, it seems like an Addon thing to me.

The quora site (http://www.quora.com/Is-Quora-the-biggest-blogging-innovation-in-last-decade#answers) might be a good inspiration for how to create a good question/ answer addon.
Yes Quora is perhaps the very evolution the Q&A section needs.

Credit points for each "Top Rated" answer given by a member.
Consolation points for "Helpful" answers given by members.

Monthly trophy to top credit earners.
Top Credit scorers earn the title of Subject Matter Experts (or something) in the Section which they contribute the most to.

As you "Answering Rep" goes up .. you start to earn extra credit points.

What do you guys think ? Has this been done somewhere already ?

Yes Quora is perhaps the very evolution the Q&A section needs.
Credit points for each "Top Rated" answer given by a member.
Consolation points for "Helpful" answers given by members.

Monthly trophy to top credit earners.
Top Credit scorers earn the title of Subject Matter Experts (or something) in the Section which they contribute the most to.

As you "Answering Rep" goes up .. you start to earn extra credit points.

What do you guys think ? Has this been done somewhere already ?

Quora is a very complicated site which required millions of dollars and a large staff to implement. It is highly doubtful that a similar system could be orchestrated in XF.

You could perhaps copy SOME of the ideas, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes. Quora was started by a number of facebook refugees who we can assume to be well financed.

(n March 2010, Quora received $11 million in funding from Benchmark Capital, valuing the start-up at $86 million.[14] Quora's valuation was more than 1 billion dollars in 2011.[15][16] Quora has reportedly turned down several billion dollar acquisition offers, as reported by Business Insider)

Top Bottom