Implemented Banned Users still in Members List

MYstIC G

Howdy,

Had my first drone user signup on my Xenforo installation today. Used the spam cleaner, everything worked fine. Only issue is that the user that's been dumped is still visible in the members lists.

This means that their profile can be accessed and the signature links that are complete spam are still visible and effectively on the site.

Is there some special way of excluding banned users from the members lists and/or preventing their profile url's being loaded? If not is this likely to be introduced as I think it would be much more effective than having to manually delete every daft spammer account.

Cheers!

Upvote 13
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Well, either that or an option in the admin control panel "Show this member group in members list". I really want a feature where, while banning a member you can automatically shift that particular member to a different group (I.E: Banned) instead of manually shifting. You can then set the banned group permission to your liking.
Absolutely.

I hope a dev takes a look at the ideas posted in this thread. Would make moderation much easier with the auto move banned users to banned member group or an option while banning (like a drop down list) for which group to send the banned member to.

Member Lists are near useless anyway !
I don't think they are frequently used.
I don't understand why "an alphabetical listing of all members" is a good thing for members to have access to.

In Xenforo's implementation:

(1) Highest-Posting Members : looks pretty, but not essential.
(2) Newest Members: Could be useful to get people to engage the newbies. Of course, surely there are better ways to let people know about newbies.
(3) Find Member: really the only important part of Members. Should only be accessible to people whom are registered (and probably have 5 legitimate posts). Shouldn't be visible to unregistered guests.
(4) An alphabetical listing of all members (currently 453 pages of members at xenforo.com) - near useless !
(5) Current Visitors: (accessible from Forum Home) ... can be useful.
(6) Recent Activity: seems like a good idea (but I myself dont use it). Probably a good Admin / Mod tool.

For those that don't think that Recent Activity is important .... Find a method of allowing people to "Find Members" somewhere else other than the Members Tab .... and then ditch the entire Members Tab !

Agreed.

What parts of the Members Tab are actually used and useful ?
View attachment 17042

unfortunately, the image of Princeton´s great mockup was deleted:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-replace-members-page-with.2773/

unfortunately, the image of Princeton´s great mockup was deleted:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-replace-members-page-with.2773/

vBulletin users, check your memberlist.php stats (pageviews, visits, etc). The same applies to those who operate other forum software - go check your member listing page stats.

You'll find that the numbers are really low.

The Members page on xenForo is no different. Isn't this a waste of valuable space? Are we missing out on an opportunity here?
I feel the same way. I didn't need stats to know the Members tab is a ghost town .. it's obvious .. there is nothing to do their but collect spam !

Interesting Thread erich37. Alot of people saying what I posted above: the Members Tab is not useful.

If the Members page is a "valuable waste of space" then the Help Tab is a colossal waste of valuable space. Both are at best subtabs of the Forum Tab.

I was searching for Princeton´s mockup at Google and at archive.org, but could not find it.
Did anybody of you guys save that image and still have it available?

Mike and I have been talking for some time about doing away with the alphabetical members list. It seems completely pointless and redundant to todays online world.

Member List features
  • completely pointless and redundant
  • contains banned and incompletely registered people
  • allows spam collection

Diagnosis: Kill it.

Seems that this is going to be on the increase. My board isn't particularly active but even with help of the excellent XenUtils modification I find another bot user registered. I'm now once again in the position of "delete and lose information that can be used for tracking" or "leave and suffer being linked to spam".

I'm also receiving stuff through the "contact us" form. Whilst cleaning up spam in XenForo has lept forward, it still needs work. Pretty please!

I think one acceptable option might be to:
(1) allow the alphabetical member list to be toggled off.
(2) leave the search for a member and leave the top posters.

Whilst I see no reason that the member list should be "always on", i.e. I agree that you should have an option to disable it, disabling it isn't something I'd like.

Improved ways and means of removing spam and flotsam website links are in everyones best interest.

!!!
but i want it to show banned members in the list, as not all banned members are permanently banned.
it is NOT going to be smooth sailing for me if members are vanishing off the members list.

!!!
but i want it to show banned members in the list, as not all banned members are permanently banned.
it is NOT going to be smooth sailing for me if members are vanishing off the members list.

What about creating a usergroup with no privs called "Temp ban" or something and move the temporary bans into there until the ban is up?

What about creating a usergroup with no privs called "Temp ban" or something and move the temporary bans into there until the ban is up?
i will have to see how the warning system works. if i can possibly avoid the predefined ban behaviour full stop and instead use groups that would be pretty great.
but making members vanish from the community will definitely not go over well with the members of gV. they are largely the diaspora of multiple communities which did that sort of thing. it is not something they will tolerate. they are highly sensitive to this sort of thing, which has been my biggest problem with xenforo; it doesnt make it easy to administrate in a manner that my members feel comfortable with.
making members disappear from the members list will, without any doubt, draw comparisons to the soviets and whatnot. it would be great if i could avoid needless drama.
a banned usergroup would solve so many issues.

!!!
100% agree... hiding everything about a banned member (member list, profile, etc.) should be an option. Or at the very least differentiate between a permanent and a temporary ban. If someone is temporarily banned, it means we want them to still be a user when their ban time is over.

Whilst an option would be preferable so people can pick and choose, this works and is much better than having 100's of spambot profiles still shown on your site.

Besides if you ban someone and they come back then so does their profile.

Whilst an option would be preferable so people can pick and choose, this works and is much better than having 100's of spambot profiles still shown on your site.
Right... and I would assume someone would permanently ban a spambot. A temporary ban shouldn't hide the user imo.

Right... and I would assume someone would permanently ban a spambot. A temporary ban shouldn't hide the user imo.
Temporary ban leads to a temporarily hidden profile though, it's not the end of the world. Reverting this would be awful. The option to toggle would be good but should not be done if it brings back all the spambot rubbish.

Top Bottom