Implemented Automatic upgrade / update

Shamil

I think that the forum software should be able to do autonomous updates within a minor series, i.e. 1.0 ->1.0.1 ->1.0.2, however, not for 1.1 or 1.2. Might be useful for bugfixes, etc.

This saves a little time downloading and uploading files.

Security could be ensured by means of simple md5 or whatever to verify integrity of the file downloaded by the system.

What do you guys think?

Upvote 57
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Not sure if this woulp be possible for Xenforo, but would be nice if Xenforo can handle an auto update process by downloading the file from xenforo server and automatically update like wordpress does.

Automatic Update

Current versions of WordPress (2.7+) feature an Automatic Update. You can launch the automatic Update by clicking the link in the new version banner (if it's there) or by going to the Tools -> Upgrade (or Update for version 3) menu. Once you are on the "Update WordPress" page, click the button "Update Automatically" to start the process off. You shouldn't need to do anything else and, once it's finished, you will be up-to-date.

Please like you you like to see this on Xenforo!

Sounds like a good idea, but I would like this to be:

1. Click button.

2. It then checks on Xenforo DB to make sure it's licenced.

3. If the URL is in the Xenforo DB --> Connects / If failed fills in a form on Xenforo DB to report it.

4. If connected, it will update the forum, else it will over-write the forum files so the XenForo wont work and leaves a little cookie to ensure another install wont work.

It is a good idea, and I imagine to be as good xF 2.0 that will not work to vBulletin, IPB but personally I like a lot, but I prefer more unique xF is tomorrow will offer a few new features and suggestions for future versions.

Going back to the automatic update should be a very good, is easy to upgrade and have no problems with add-on implemented on your site xF skin and having your site ....

Wordpress autoupdate has never worked for me. It has a very limited adaptability for server configurations, and (almost entirely for self-imposed security reasons) has never worked on my servers.

Personally, I think development efforts would be put to much more productive uses elsewhere.

4. If connected, it will update the forum, else it will over-write the forum files so the XenForo wont work and leaves a little cookie to ensure another install wont work.

Problem with #4 is if you had a valid license, all that not paying the $40 does is not grant you updates and support. It does NOT revoke your license to run the version that was the latest out during a valid license period. Your method would be in violation of existing licensing and possible civil repercussions unless license was changed and accepted.

The latest version of WP (Basie) has automatic updates implemented. I think this is an awesome feature to have, especially to push updates that are very critical and those which will not break forum style or function. As soon as a major security loophole is found it can be pushed to forums opting to receive it.

+1 from me. (y)

This sort of feature is a huge time saver for people with more than one XF installation. I'd love to be able to get a notification in the admin panel when a new version is released, then click a button to auto-update (as I assume it can check if the license is valid for a new version using the API).

It would be nice if such update function would notify about core and addon updates and allows the admin to update the core with one click and all addons with another click.

Yeah, I think we'll call this implemented.
One click updates are not automatic updates. Automatic updates are 0 click updates.

Please reopen this suggestion, because this suggestion by @Shamil exactly described what I wanted to suggest.
Just like WordPress has, I would like the admin to be able to set if XF and/or its addons should in the background autonomously upgrade to minor versions or even second point versions. Possibly by cron.

Those who use WordPress will know this feature. Here is some information about it:

We have no plans to implement automatic upgrades so one-click upgrades is likely the furthest we'll go therefore there's little point in opening the suggestion.

Can plans not be influenced by measuring demand anymore?
For example: if this suggestion would end up attracting hundreds of votes, would that not be food for thought at some point?

Top Bottom