August Update discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope that the last sentence means they are planning on keeping the development going, whether it is in a few months or a year.
We look forward to a time when we can look back onthis dark period as part of the history of XenForo and to a time that is more positive.

In all honesty, I moved to xf because it offered features I was requesting at IPB for 2 years, plus it had other things that either worked better or just unique (trophies) that I was planning on having custom created prior to seeing xf. I've made small suggestions here that I think could help all communities that I hope will be implemented when things do start to move forward. But overall, I'm much happier here than I was working with IPS or vB. It's just unfortunate that things are going on in their personal lives and the lawsuit that is affecting their business.

If there is a problem between the developers, I hope they can put their personal stuff aside and keep everything business to continue on with xf. IMO, it still is the best forum software out there.

It must have been a bit of a challenge to type so much yet say so little.. But with that said i do sincerely appreciate that Ashley took the time to put something out there.. I also appreciate that the mods now seem to be more willing to work with those of us who have "Concerns"

When asked in the "concern thread" people said they would be satisfied with an update just to say there is no more news to update.

In my honest opinion this says more. It lets you know the legal issues are having an effect, and that it isn't just a small effect, its a large one, (Just like IB would want) trying to quantify that effect would be like saying "how long is a peice of string".

It also lets you know there are ongoing personal issues, despite Kiers post I think it is quite obvious his sudden re-disappearance suggests they wern't as resolved as he thought at that time.. which is understandable... personal issues often dont just resolve overnight...

The forum software is awesome stuff and i can appreciate the fact that this lawsuit is working as designed by IB.. I have little doubt tensions are high among KMA, and im sure those tension have taken a heavy toll on longtime friendships and im pretty sure those strained relations involve more then just the owners.. (ie: Brogan and others)

Exactly as designed, I think some people have forgotten the fact this is a small startup company being sued by a 100million dollar organisation. Not only is it having an effect on the business, but the community also. Does any remember in the beggining, how every single person rallied behind XenForo? Whats different now, the pace of updates and interaction with the 2 developers has slowed down / stopped. A fact that post people accepted might happen at the beggining, and now rather than rally behind the company in the closing stages (the final 4 months in a 24+ month case) when needed most, they actually help IB by turning against XenForo.

Someone posted earler "you reap what you sow".... it works both ways... if people try to turn negative and against the company and XenForo now... what happens when / if XenForo wins the trial.. you have left the community in a worse situation than it could have been left in.. and if the community thats left is just nasty and nobody wants to be involved... than a peice of software that had the potential to grow, be great and provide a real alternative to the big 2, has now been left an empty husk and may just collapse from that instead.

Don't get me wrong, I am in a slightly more privileged situation than most due to having a little more interaction with KAM... but im still concerned... im still worried... my site provides part of my income and the majority income of several other people, I can't afford to have things go completely tits up... so instead, rather than get weighed down by the horrible reality that IB may kill XenForo illegitimately on false claims simply by dragging them with litigation costs... I help out as much as I can... im helping to try and push them through this darkest hour... IF i had the financial capability I would have stumped the money up myself to help them out with the lawsuit... but I dont... so I do my best by helping out with support and moderation and will do so as long as its needed... I can't afford to let XenForo go down the drain so to speak... it has revitalised my community... moving back to VB or IPB would be tantamount to putting a gun in the mouth of my community and pulling the trigger.

Personally all I would ask of people, and this is me personally, not as a mod... we all know the trial date is set... the light has never been so close to the end of the tunnel... so don't give up now... in the darkest hour is when we need to come together most as a community... when the trial is over and had a few weeks to settle... then evaluate the situation for the fallout... I know 4 months seems like a long time... but its nothing compared to how far we have come...

Until then I am going to carry on helping the community in any way I can, helping with technical problems, providing support, taking these questions and sticking them to KAM... to try and help everyone and help the product to survive... if everyone could just stick it out for the final 100 yards at least we can get there together and give XenForo the best fighting chance it has.

I don't know... this post has turned into somewhat of an undignified rant / plead / steam letoff combo...

Is Mike still employed by XF as a developer?
Is he currently actively developing XF?

(it's ridiculous that those questions need asking at all :-( )
He's certainly still a director of XenForo Ltd.

If some of the personal issues that exist are financial then I wouldn't be surprised if Mike has taken another job. What with a wedding to pay for, mounting legal costs, a honeymoon and life in general.

If I was in their situation I'd probably get myself a 6 month contract job. With their skill they'd easily be taking home £300-£400 a day.

If it meant being able to stay a float for a while with the freedom to return once issues are resolved: I wouldn't blame them.

But, I guess, speculating isn't helpful. Especially when their personal lives are concerned.

He's certainly still a director of XenForo Ltd.

If some of the personal issues that exist are financial then I wouldn't be surprised if Mike has taken another job. What with a wedding to pay for, mounting legal costs, a honeymoon and life in general.

If I was in their situation I'd probably get myself a 6 month contract job. With their skill they'd easily be taking home £300-£400 a day.

If it meant being able to stay a float for a while with the freedom to return once issues are resolved: I wouldn't blame them.

But, I guess, speculating isn't helpful. Especially when their personal lives are concerned.
We'll he's just got married :)

Exactly as designed, I think some people have forgotten the fact this is a small startup company being sued by a 100million dollar organisation. Not only is it having an effect on the business, but the community also. Does any remember in the beggining, how every single person rallied behind XenForo? Whats different now, the pace of updates and interaction with the 2 developers has slowed down / stopped. A fact that post people accepted might happen at the beggining, and now rather than rally behind the company in the closing stages (the final 4 months in a 24+ month case) when needed most, they actually help IB by turning against XenForo.

The fact is that the community goes months without hearing anything from KAM. You can't ignore your community and at the same time ask/expect their sympathy and support. Treat your community with respect and they will do likewise.

When asked in the "concern thread" people said they would be satisfied with an update just to say there is no more news to update.

In my honest opinion this says more. It lets you know the legal issues are having an effect, and that it isn't just a small effect, its a large one, (Just like IB would want) trying to quantify that effect would be like saying "how long is a peice of string".

It also lets you know there are ongoing personal issues, despite Kiers post I think it is quite obvious his sudden re-disappearance suggests they wern't as resolved as he thought at that time.. which is understandable... personal issues often dont just resolve overnight...

Someone posted earler "you reap what you sow".... it works both ways... if people try to turn negative and against the company and XenForo now... what happens when / if XenForo wins the trial.. you have left the community in a worse situation than it could have been left in.. and if the community thats left is just nasty and nobody wants to be involved... than a peice of software that had the potential to grow, be great and provide a real alternative to the big 2, has now been left an empty husk and may just collapse from that instead.

Don't get me wrong, I am in a slightly more privileged situation than most due to having a little more interaction with KAM... but im still concerned... im still worried... my site provides part of my income and the majority income of several other people, I can't afford to have things go completely tits up... so instead, rather than get weighed down by the horrible reality that IB may kill XenForo illegitimately on false claims simply by dragging them with litigation costs... I help out as much as I can... im helping to try and push them through this darkest hour... IF i had the financial capability I would have stumped the money up myself to help them out with the lawsuit... but I dont... so I do my best by helping out with support and moderation and will do so as long as its needed... I can't afford to let XenForo go down the drain so to speak... it has revitalised my community... moving back to VB or IPB would be tantamount to putting a gun in the mouth of my community and pulling the trigger.

Personally all I would ask of people, and this is me personally, not as a mod... we all know the trial date is set... the light has never been so close to the end of the tunnel... so don't give up now... in the darkest hour is when we need to come together most as a community... when the trial is over and had a few weeks to settle... then evaluate the situation for the fallout... I know 4 months seems like a long time... but its nothing compared to how far we have come...

Until then I am going to carry on helping the community in any way I can, helping with technical problems, providing support, taking these questions and sticking them to KAM... to try and help everyone and help the product to survive... if everyone could just stick it out for the final 100 yards at least we can get there together and give XenForo the best fighting chance it has.

I don't know... this post has turned into somewhat of an undignified rant / plead / steam letoff combo...

Great post!
Yeah, we all said in the beginning that we will support XF and we all will fight against this lawsuit til the end.
So where are all those fighters and supporters now? The whole life is a "risk" (til the end). :eek:

Question / Suggestion:
What about finding an investor with big $$$ bucks taking over a certain % of XF Ltd. in order for the company to stay afloat and (effectively) fight the lawsuit ?

What about finding an investor with big $$$ bucks taking over a certain % of XF Ltd. in order for the company to stay afloat and (effectively) fight the lawsuit ?
When that happens, you know a company is really desperate. So take it as a good thing that hasn't happened yet.

Venture capital (if you can still call it that) entering in a situation like this with a lawsuit would mean they would have to make a significant deal (shares, future profit) so that would be bad for the owners in the longer term, unless it's the only thing left to stay afloat...

I'm willing to wait them out and keep my doors open and still produce for the platform. That said, I think there is more to all this silence/lawsuit/personal issues stuff than meets the eye...a lot more.

The fact is that the community goes months without hearing anything from KAM. You can't ignore your community and at the same time ask/expect their sympathy and support. Treat your community with respect and they will do likewise.

I dont disagree. However who am I to judge people who have worked for 3 years, owed £150k in wages whilst being sued by a 100 million dollar company.

Who knows how anyone would handle the situation. So rather than judge their mistakes, I would use this time to support them through it first and then... once resolved... hope they can make it up to us.

I dont disagree. However who am I to judge people who have worked for 3 years, owed £150k in wages whilst being sued by a 100 million dollar company.
You say "owed" (I don't intend to quibble with that description) but XenForo was a newly launched company so presumably the directors remuneration can only realistically be paid at an amount the company can afford based on its performance. I can say my new company owes me £20 million but if it doesn't have £20 million then it's a pointless exercise.

If XenForo needs to become a side project for a while because it's not providing an income for KAM then perhaps they should say so and maybe people would rally behind them more readily.

In my experience if you do not ask for help, you should not expect it to arrive.

Who knows how anyone would handle the situation. So rather than judge their mistakes, I would use this time to support them through it first and then... once resolved... hope they can make it up to us.

I'll not start discussing this here as this thread seems to be about getting questions answered, there are parts I agree on with you and parts I don't, I don't think my voicing them will make any difference so I'll leave it at that and hope that KAM will spare a moment to give us some more details.

Personally all I would ask of people, and this is me personally, not as a mod... we all know the trial date is set... the light has never been so close to the end of the tunnel... so don't give up now... in the darkest hour is when we need to come together most as a community... when the trial is over and had a few weeks to settle... then evaluate the situation for the fallout... I know 4 months seems like a long time... but its nothing compared to how far we have come....
Great post, Slavik.

The community needs to hang together and let those dealing with the legal matters do just that.

I still absolutely love working with XenForo - it's not stopped working, it's as awesome as ever.
Maybe our forum is fortunate in that we only really need the core forum functionality that is provided by the product, we're not after fancy galleries, blogs or half-baked CMS. If we wanted those we'd probably have stayed with vB and still be suffering from the frankly awful performance that we suffered on vB4.

I don't post on here a lot, my free time is limited and I have no time for the recent pointless bunfights, personal beefs and moaning. There are some great people on here who are helpful and smart, and some great add-ons and it's those that keep me coming back.

I'd like to say thanks to K/A/M and all the moderators past and present - they've been extremely helpful when we've needed support and help.

It still works, there's nothing that I've seen that's better.

Keep The Faith.

I'll not start discussing this here as this thread seems to be about getting questions answered, there are parts I agree on with you and parts I don't, I don't think my voicing them will make any difference so I'll leave it at that and hope that KAM will spare a moment to give us some more details.

If you want to voice them, drop me a PM I have no issue with listening (y)

When I think about it, it's quite sad that such great software with such bright prospects has been railroaded like it has; and that the lives of three talented guys with the vision to turn forum software on its head and make it addictive to use have been blighted in the way that they have.

Best of luck guys - I hope you can weather the storm to see a day when you get your just reward. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

It was a carefully worded statement. He wasnt going to come here and dumb it down for everyone and cause panic. Read it over a few times its very clear to me what he's saying about the future of xF.

Exactly !

Unfortunately, there is no update on this matter and we are unsure of when we will be able to provide more information on XenForo 1.2. The toll of the ongoing legal issue weighs very heavily and has far reaching effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom