Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I'm not.

Votes: 89 91.8%
  • I might.

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think forumcon could attract some international attention if they had something like one of the British pastimes. Which would be queuing.
hah

I always thought you lived in Wyoming or Nebraska, EQ.

I would probably eat more ribeyes than I already do which would be good/bad if that was the case. Everyone seems to think I am from everywhere :ROFLMAO:, curious though...why-oming?

Ahh, we have quite a community of techies starting here in the Pioneer Valley - lots of incubators, meetup groups, conferences, etc. - and, of course, Boston is 90 minutes away so lots of people go there for bigger things. On the other hand, we get Bostonians and even folks from Vermont and NH traveling down here for various meetings.

We have podcamp 10 minutes away and there are always meetings on Drupal, Wordpress and other similar types of stuff. Not to say it's like the Bay Area....but compared to most places I have been, it's high tech and civilized....

We have lots of stuff that is offshoots of the 10 or so local colleges - classes for entrepreneurs, TED-type of presentations, mentoring, etc.

I live in the central valley probably 50-75 miles south of there but I just don't get any info around here about that sort of thing (tech events and the like). My state feels locked out from web technologies, and the sciences in general which is odd seeing that MIT is such a short distance away and that is one place that brainpower and technology seem to just gravitate to.

I have looked before and can't really find anything close that is within some sort of reality to attend. In retrospect...out here a tech talk I might have with a local in my immediate area would be (their end of the convo)...

• 'Yo whatup this is X ...Y gave me your number
  • You can help me unlock my phone?...
  • You can do it for free?....
  • Aight I got this one, my girls phone and my other babyma's joint... can I get you the rest of em another day?
  • Aight can you meet me somewhere and pick these up and drop em off when you are done ... I ain't got no ride?'

That is pretty much the extent of it...even people who play pc games out here seem to generally not understand the concept that the game has to be developed by someone. The people who understand the concept of software development out here are either busy or staying away from the rest of the local population because no one talks about programming here as far as I see.

Of course, I get my kicks online mostly. I did attend and present at Podcamp and am also going to give a presentation at "nerd nite" next month.

I'm not a programmer, but many of the other mentors that I meet at the "Valley Ventures Mentor" group are - I'm sure they have lots of local support.

Again over here there is nothing of the sort...online only but when trying to network with the right people to put forward a business plan, only knowing someone online doesn't cut it when basically considering laying out months of planning prep and coding, one hand washes the other both wash the face kind of thing. And that brings me to my original position...there is no official endpoints for the larger west coast based technologies here on the east coast making it so that only people that are highly successful already (or are involved academically) can go to the large official events and to be honest I feel like the largely successful don't benefit nearly as much (growth ratio) from a gathering of like minds as the people who are trying to establish root bonds and break ground on large start up projects.

If there was anything within 50 miles of me where I could link up and vet out a partner who shares at least a general interest and an understanding of what I am doing and wants to commit to the project...I would be there yesterday.

The reality is while I stay here the chances of finding a trustworthy partner who wants to be on board with the project are only less likely than me building and maintaining my entire project and community behind it on the solo tip and being successful when I already know that it will be at least 6 months before I can actually see a return on my investment of time effort and money meaning I have to do that plus whatever I have to do to make a living in the meantime.

To me it's like the north east (from where I stand in it) is cut off from the web...we are allowed to consume it but developing for it is not promoted here.

@EQnoble you are the 2nd closest person to me geographically from XenForo.com (@craigiri being the closest)

We should go shoot trap some time...I'll make it fair...I'll let you use the Citori, I'll use the model 572 , loser pays for the loads ;).

@EQnoble , no doubt my cousin who is a crazy robotics nerd found his home in Silicon Valley. He stayed near us - around Philadelphia - and tried to make things happen there. Then, at age 48 or so, he upped and moved to near Mountain View. He's like the proverbial pig in chit now. So much happening...

The Northeast is not barren in any way - in fact, high tech is a big part of the economy here, but it tends to be more serious stuff like Life Sciences (biotech), Aviation, etc.
Almost nowhere else in the USA is like Silicon Valley.

I listened to a podcast recently from the founder of taskrabbit. She is from Boston and founded it there but she and her husband packed up and moved after a year or two...to the Bay Area. She had plenty of support in the Boston area (the zipcar founder became one of her mentors and gave her free office space)....but, still, it's nothing like California.

Big things in Boston tend to happen around (virtually and physically) the MIT Media Lab.
http://www.media.mit.edu/

I love Austin. Anytime I'm in Texas for business, it's almost always Austin. Thankfully it's a quick flight and I don't have to deal with TSA. One of these days I need to get my butt to Iron Works BBQ. Looks like heaven.

desolate of dbags maybe... :giggle:
We don't really hear much about Nebraska out this way which either means nothing happens or your peoples are smart enough not to bring attention and end up drawing everyone and their mother there and ruining a good thing ... (note to self: add Nebraska to destination bucket list).

I don't have a horse in this race, but I wanted to chime in to say that after attending the CMX Summit in NYC last week, @Richard Milllington was probably my favorite speaker there. There were five+ really good speakers out of the 12 total speakers or so, so yeah he was pretty much awesome. I'm a community manager for a non-monetized product forum and learned a lot of useful tips from him that I'm planning to incorporate immediately. I'm located in the SF bay area and even though I just saw him, since he is speaking again (and so is David Spinx) I'm considering attending ForumCon.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I wanted to chime in to say that after attending the CMX Summit in NYC last week, @Richard Milllington was probably my favorite speaker there. There were five+ really good speakers out of the 12 total speakers or so, so yeah he was pretty much awesome. I'm a community manager for a non-monetized product forum and learned a lot of useful tips from him that I'm planning to incorporate immediately. I'm located in the SF bay area and even though I just saw him, since he is speaking again (and so is David Spinx) I'm considering attending ForumCon.
I recognize the name "CMX Summit" I keep seeing it in startup e-mails as of late. Welcome to xenForo! :)

If ForumCon was anything like E3 -- where various developers (and companies that own the forum software) would make presentation on the products future, the new features they wish to integrate into their software etc. I'm sure I would be a hell a lot more interested, I've been keeping an eye on IPB 4.0 updates, and how awesome would it be if they made a presentation, a few videos, and showed a live version of IPB 4 in ForumCon? The same way other companies can do it as well, what is E3 basically? It's just gaming companies trying to sell you their games, hype you to make sure you buy it, show off what they have and what is coming in the future, but they do it in a way that keeps their target audience happy. ForumCon it seems isn't keeping their target audience happy from the looks of it, and I think they should probably change the name from ForumCon to something else that would work better for them in my honest opinion.

General monetization tips, selling products, networking -- sure the convention may be useful for that but then they need to change it to MonCon or SellCon or NetCon or something like that, in my honest opinion ForumCon doesn't do justice of representing the "foruming" community they wish to represent. I mean frankly, which forum "moderator" would be interested in going to the current ForumCon? What will they learn that they already don't know? For Forum Owners and Admins, there are opportunities to learn more if they wish to do so (albeit nothing to do with "forums") but ForumCon doesn't represent the true spirit of Forums or those who run/aid in the running of forums.

If ForumCon was probably hosted and organized by a company that owns a forum software (lets say, XenForo or IPB) they'd run a better ForumCon since they would know exactly how to keep happy their target audience, unlike third party advertising agency who don't run any forum themselves.

Last edited:
Anyone want some free ForumCon tickets?

I'm not going to be able to go. Things came up and I'll not have the funds for the travel or room until after ForumCon, so that doesn't do me any good. And it would be a shame to let the tickets go to waste.

So anyone want to go to ForumCon?

You bought tickets without thinking about getting a room or travel arrangements? :rolleyes: TAHB
"Bought"? Not exactly. I was given them by someone else, with the understanding that even I, myself may not fully be able to attend (I knew things around this time may come up, but was not 100%). I made this clear to them before they gifted those tickets.

So it's better to give me away, then let them go to waste.

Last edited:
So you posted this screenshot to make it "look" like you purchased them for you, and.... Jane
View attachment 74124

Who would have given you the tickets if you told them up front that you might not even be able to fly across the country to make the event? :rolleyes: TAHB

Why don't you send the tickets to me, I'll make sure I use them

Screenshot_1.webp

Why would you need to take a screen shot of an order page, with an order #, if somebody gifted you the tickets?

That order page is from eventbrite, and you can't claim tickets from other people there, you have to purchase them. :rolleyes: TAHB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom