Are clashes between Addons/Plugins less likely with Xenforo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they built the system all wordpress like. I can find some very old and dated wordpress plugins that still work great even on the latest version years later with no bugs.
Maaaaan it's not truly wordpress-like until you don't actually have to use a FTP program just to install a plugin. Xenforo still has a long way to go.

All in all, I would still rather ftp to add files to my server...not that a click to install is not convenient...but realistically, you install an addon once....extra code to write files to the server seems bloated to me personally and I would not want it.

yes, some have still conflicts (because I'm too lazy...)
if a add-on overrides a original method and you don't call the parent method, some important things could be ignored...

This is an old thread, but I've now learnt the hard way the importance of what ragtek mentioned (and his text may have been overlooked)

If you override a function, make sure you call the parent (and then use that), this should avoid many potential clashes

I spent 2 days setting up different test environments and testing, and then realised if I changed the "Callback Execution Order" of 2 plugins only one of them works at a time *depending which had the highest value ...
This meant a clash... originally they had the same callback executions order and were sometimes working.. sometimes not (making it very hard to detect what was going on)

.. but this was due to a plug-in clash

If the overridden threads had simply used

parent::myFunctions($bla);

at the start (and then used this through out, and returned related to the parent) I would have avoided banging my head against the screen, and prevented the clash

Re-quoted what ragtek said, since I wish I reialised the importance of this earilier

conflict between:
(1) http://xenforo.com/community/threads/better-blogs-paid.36836/page-18#post-444334
(2) http://xenforo.com/community/resources/self-delete-by-waindigo.791/

Fatal error: Access level to Waindigo_SelfDelete_ControllerPublic_Abstract::_preDispatch() must be public (as in class XfAddOns_Blogs_ControllerPublic_Abstract) in library/Waindigo/SelfDelete/ControllerPublic/Abstract.php on line 30

PHP:
Fatal error: Access level to Waindigo_SelfDelete_ControllerPublic_Abstract::_preDispatch() must be public (as in class XfAddOns_Blogs_ControllerPublic_Abstract) in library/Waindigo/SelfDelete/ControllerPublic/Abstract.php on line 30
Seems like there is a conflict with this add-on.

conflict between:
(1) http://xenforo.com/community/threads/better-blogs-paid.36836/page-18#post-444334

Looks like a problem with BetterBlogs. Access level for *_ControllerPublic_Abstract::_preDispatch should be protected, not public. It is protected in the Self Delete addon.

Looks like a problem with BetterBlogs. Access level for *_ControllerPublic_Abstract::_preDispatch should be protected, not public. It is protected in the Self Delete addon.
conflict between:

This is already a sore subject for Waindigo.

Unfortunately most of Jaxel's add-ons make the same mistake.

As well as the function being protected in Self Delete add-on, it is also protected if the abstract class and every single controller used in XenForo. Quite an easy mistake to avoid. It seems to be taking forever for both developers to fix this too. Even though it's a very easy fix.

While I really appreciate the time and effort it takes for developers to produce and release mods and extensions to the platform. Lately I am having to spend hours on end debugging or having to disable one or several other paid for add-on's to use a newly purchased one.

It's to bad there is not a mod site were developers could submit their work to have it checked and authorized as clean and friendly, award them a badge to display. I for one would be far more inclined to purchase those products and enlist the developer for work.

It's to bad there is not a mod site were developers could submit their work to have it checked and authorized as clean and friendly, award them a badge to display. I for one would be far more inclined to purchase those products and enlist the developer for work.
Authorizing addons as clean and friendly ? Interesting idea. I suspect it's not possible at some level and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm sure it could be a good way to pick out the really bad coding habits.

Have you seen any coding community do this successfully ? which one ?

clashes might be more uncommon that we think !

Look at this number of addons installed !!

Here we go...

'Keywords' Meta Tag by xenCODE 1.0.0
Add Poll to Existing Threads 1.0
Add User Avatar to Last Post by Waindigo 1.1.1
Add Username Style to Last Post 1.0.1
Add-on Installer 0.2
Admin Search User IP 1.0.0
Admin Tabs Auto Min-Height v1.1
Alphabetical Pagination by Waindigo 1.0.0
Attachment Viewer 0.9.1
Auto Ping by xenCODE 1.0.0 Beta 1
BB Code Permissions by Waindigo 1.1.1
******* - Attention Zero-Posters 1.0.0
******* - Auto Close/Move/Delete Thread Inactivity 1.0.0
******* - Change Threads/Posts Owner 1.0.3
******* – Censorship per Node 1.0.0
******* – Reset Password using Secret Question 1.0.1
Clickable Rows 2.0.0
Control "nofollow" URLs 2.1
Conversation From Registered Members Page 1.1
Conversation Manager 1.0.1
Conversation on Moderator Action by Waindigo 1.0.3
Copyright Notice by Waindigo 1.0.1
Custom BBCode Manager 1.3.4
Custom Footer customFooter
DamnComputer - Status In Post 1.0.3
DaTheme Advanced Styling Rules 1.0.2
Debug On Post by Waindigo 1.0.0
Description for RSS 1.2
Developer Kit 1.1
Diagnostics Permission by Waindigo 1.0.0
Digital Point Ad Positioning 1.1.0
Digital Point Mass Move 1.0.0
Digital Point Spy 1.0.5
Digital Point Thread/Post BBCode 1.0.0
Easy ban users 1.0.1
Enable Debug From Admin Home 1.1a
Enforce Post Rules 1.0.1
Find users sharing the same IP 0.0.2
Floating Login by SolidMean 1.0.0
FreddysHouse Tools: Signature Once 1.2.0
Friends by Waindigo 1.0.2
GoodForNothing Title Manipulator 1.1.0
google_adSense 1.0
Help Pages 1.0.0
HTML in Custom Titles 1.0
Ignore What's New by Waindigo 1.1.0
Join User Group by Waindigo 1.0.9
LiquidPro Core 1.0.1
LiquidPro New Thread Quota 1.1.0
Live Updates 2.0
LoginUserLocks - Prevent attempts to brute force the login area 1.0.1
Mass Delete Spam Users 1.0.0
Member Card View Permissions 1.0
Member List Manager 1.3
Mutt's You Code 1.5
Node Numbers by Waindigo 1.0.0
Nodes As Tabs 1.1.3
Number of Posts to Send Personal Conversations 1.0
Pages 0.2.1 Beta
Post As User by Waindigo 1.0.3
Premium Members BBcodes 1.4
Profile Tab Manager 1.0.1
Punish System 1.0.0
Quick Reply Preview 1.3
Quote de XenFacil 4.0.0
RCBD - RecentStatus 4.0.2
Registration Form Timer 2.0
Remove Upgrade 1.0.0
Reset Password From ACP 1.0
Route Changer 1.1.2b
Search This Thread 2.0
Separate Sticky and Normal Threads 1.0
Signature Restriction 1.2.1
Sitemap for XenForo 1.2.0
SK Mark Thread as Thread 1.1.0
Smilie Importer by Waindigo 1.0.1
Social Groups by Waindigo 1.0.2
Start Conversation from Post Bit 1.3
Template Modification System 1.2
Template Syntax 1.6.1
Thread Watchers 1.2
TinyMCE Fix 0.6.2
Toggle ME 2.1
Ultimate Attachment manager[DH] 1.0.1
Undelete Users by Waindigo 1.0.0
View Members Online Now Group Restriction 1.0
Warn Users Moderation 1.0
WF - XenAtendo Upcoming Events 1.0.1
Widget Framework Widget Pack 1.0.1
Xen-TR.com Who Has Visited 2.5.1
XenAtendo More By Waindigo 1.1.0
XenMerge 0.1 Beta
XenMoods 1.1.3
Xenplaza - Limit Votes on Multiple Votes Poll 1.0
Xenplaza - Number Viewing a Forum 1.0.0
Xenplaza - Post Editing Reason 1.1.0
XenTrader 2.1.1
XFA - BBCode for tabs 1.0.3
[8wayRun.Com] XenAtendo (Events) 1.4.9
[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal) 1.5.6
[8wayRun.Com] XenUtiles (Tools) 1.2.2
[bd] Forum Watch 1.1
[bd] Medal 1.4
[bd] Tag Me 1.6.6
[bd] Widget Framework 2.1.1
[CrazyIM] Profile Links 1.2.1
[Darth]Administrate Forum 1.0
[dc] Smiley Manager 1.1.0
[h] Show mods in Forums Beta 2
[InfisJSC] Topic starter's rights 1.2.1
[Iversia] FAQ Manager 1.0.1
[Karll] With all watched threads 1.0
[RT] Online Status Ribbon 1.2.2
[RT] Spoiler 1.0.3
[RT] User Rank Ribbons (35, w/TMS) 2.3
[splendidpoint.com] AntiSPAM - Prevent Links and Emails 1.0.1
[Tinhte] Attach Image Optimization 2.2.10
[TinhTe] More Xenforo Permissions 1.1.0
[Tinhte] XenTag 1.5.3
[ValveTime.net] QuoteCollapse 1.2
[******] Custom Node Icon 0.9
[xfr] User Albums 1.0.0 b7

Opcode cache is not an option because I'm on shared hosting.

TMS conflicted with Xenforo 1.1.4
nothing major ?
details [here]
Conflict is a bit of a strong way of putting it.

It was pretty much a very edge case.

First, it only happened if Debug mode was enabled which, arguably, it shouldn't usually be. Second, the cause was due to an improvement added to an existing XenForo function which TMS was extending.

Basically the error would normally be suppressed, but having Debug mode meant that the server was being overly strict over something that wouldn't normally be a problem.

Moral of the story is: Don't run debug mode if you don't need to (and if you need to, you'd know how to rectify it pretty quick anyway).

clash

Usergroup tagging with [bd] Tag Me 1.7.5b breaks with Special Avatar for Banned Members 1.2 installed

Using 1.1.5 xenforo.. I think the reasoning behind it is Gravatar.. as Special Avatar for Banned Members 1.2 also carries Gravatar support..

I've informed the developer of the addon in question too..

Incorrect.

Neither of those add-ons clash with that add-on. Please get your facts right. Don't always assume if someone says something, that it is entirely accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom