Anyone planning on getting an iPhone 4S? (was iPhone 5)

Right, that's what I meant. The iPad 2 that I have, can't be tethered. You have to have either a data plan OR a WiFi device (I have the At&t MiFi) to get online with it.
You can tether your iPad to your iPhone. I'm doing it right now. You'll have to wait for the release of ios5 next week. No cords. Bluetooth.

Yeah I just watched a YouTube vid. I didn't know you could do that with Android phones.
Tethering costs extra on iPhones.

That's pretty much true in a lot of instances. Apple customers tend to pay extra for a lot of stuff non-Apple customers take for granted (since its just included with their devices). Brilliant on Apple's part!

But to be fair, tethering costs extra with most Android phones too (if you want full mobile hotspot functionality), at least here in the U.S. -- though there are ways around it (just like with iPhones), but it's "risky."

I have a mifi too...the thing is though I don't see why I can not use my internet connection if I am paying for it. They are literally blocking a function that is there as long as your phone has service and making you pay extra to use it. Personally I find it no different than if they tried to charge you for every device you connect to your router at home.

photo 1.webp
photo 2.webp

I had tethering before so that I could take my laptop to work with me. That was $20 per month.
Then I got the iPad, and was told I couldn't tether it to my phone. So I dropped the tethering, and got the mifi for $5 more per month.

Trust me, if I could tether the iPad to my iPhone and use the same date plan, rather than paying for 2 separate ones, I would!

The only thing I can't get past, concerning Android phones, is the shorter battery life.

6205896336_c091c5cdfc.jpg
6186660386_3ab7e97c95.jpg

I can use my phone without charging it for days (still at 35% after almost 3 days)... makes the iPhone turn red. :D
Not to mention that Galaxy S2 blows pretty much any phone out there, performance wise. Even iPhone 5 won't stand a chance.

REALLY?? I had the HTC Evo for all of 24 hours and had to charge it twice. Took that baby back and went back to my iPhone.
I can use it for 2 days without charging.

I use mines on average 4 days before I charge it. It is not the phone only, is the new Android 2.3.5 firmware released recently on Samsung phones... Google makes it better with every new release. Sure thing is, the Samsung stock battery helps also.

I use mines on average 4 days before I charge it. It is not the phone only, is the new Android 2.3.5 firmware released recently... Google makes it better with every new release. Sure thing is, the Samsung stock battery helps also.

The trouble with android is unless your got something like the nexus s (i think it's called) other manufactures and service providers take their time updating to the latest versions of the android OS. I know htc are notoriously terrible for this. My husband owns a htc desire on t-mobile and he's still stuck on 2.2 (froyo).

That's the good thing about apple phones. When they make an update to the os you know your getting it instantly.

The trouble with android is unless your got something like the nexus s (i think it's called) other manufactures and service providers take their time updating to the latest versions of the android OS. I know htc are notoriously terrible for this. My husband owns a htc desire on t-mobile and he's still stuck on 2.2 (froyo).
Not sure how HTC works. One thing is sure, Samsung is moving to Ice Cream Sandwich soon and that will eliminate a lot of delays related to firmware updates which technically speaking are pretty fast. I mean the current Android release is 2.3.7 and Samsung runs on 2.3.5 as we speak... Plus, we have XDA to update very fast the firmware. :)

Trust me, if I could tether the iPad to my iPhone and use the same date plan, rather than paying for 2 separate ones, I would!
You will be able to in just week.

Your iPhone will be your wireless personal hotspot. Anything that supports bluetooth can connect to it and use it. You'll be able to drop your data plan on your iPad and connect through your iPhone.

We had a ground delay in St Louis heading to Boston. I knew I had done it with my Macbook, but had never tried it with my iPad. I sent the post saying it could be done from the plane using my iPad, which was connected to the internet via bluetooth to the iPhone. It couldn't have been simpler.

You will be able to in just week.

Your iPhone will be your wireless personal hotspot. Anything that supports bluetooth can connect to it and use it. You'll be able to drop your data plan on your iPad and connect through your iPhone.

We had a ground delay in St Louis heading to Boston. I knew I had done it with my Macbook, but had never tried it with my iPad. I sent the post saying it could be done from the plane using my iPad, which was connected to the internet via bluetooth to the iPhone. It couldn't have been simpler.

Well she has a data plan on her phone and a mifi device not the ipad if I remember correctly. Apple is just allowing that bluetooth tethering now....yet it has been possible and I have been doing it since iOS 3 came out.

Aside from battery, the iPhone 5 will outperform the Galaxy S2.
I will find that out for sure...I am going to get both and give the one I like least after a week with each to my father who needs a phone with more than one color on the screen.

Top Bottom