Anyone else being hit with more than the usual spam today?

I make my questions and answers quite difficult. Like the largest moon of Neptune, second largest moon in the solar system, largest moon orbiting jupiter. But I recently stopped spam completely on my forum and it worked wonders, I closed registrations. So far, no spam. :coffee:

I make my questions and answers quite difficult. Like the largest moon of Neptune, second largest moon in the solar system, largest moon orbiting jupiter. But I recently stopped spam completely on my forum and it worked wonders, I closed registrations. So far, no spam. :coffee:

Unfortunately, I can't count on my members being that smart. ;)

Nice smilies. :)

Well, the spammers are enjoying Black Friday :). Here's about five pages of spam from today, and I have about 3000 pages of spam records since we started deploying anti-spam defenses.
Capture-Spam1.webp
Capture-Spam2.webp
Capture-Spam3.webp
Capture-Spam4.webp
Capture-Spam5.webp

Are you using the regular CAPTCHA? Have you tried the Q&A? It works for me.

I don't have time to change Q&As and regardless I needed secondary defenses to complement CAPTCHA and Q&A. That's why I opted to use XenUtiles and use data other forums are crowd sourcing to defend my site.

I actually just got an email from a spammer, I found it pretty funny:

I just wrapped an if statement around the homepage fields so they are not visable for guests, it's a shame that some people ruin it for the rest.

An actual spammer or someone semi-legitimate who was suckered into paying for "web marketing" provided by spammers?

This suggests that Google might be detecting sites that are promoted by spamming and threatening to derank/delist them. That would be a good thing, ultimately reducing, perhaps even eliminating, the market for spammers' "services".

I was thinking of re-opening registrations and taking my chances. Might change my Q&A and randomly hit the keyboard with my eyes closed till I reach around a 100 characters. Think this will stop the spam? :) okay, wish me luck. :) *taps keyboard in a thunderbirds type movement maneuvering motion*

I was thinking of re-opening registrations and taking my chances. Might change my Q&A and randomly hit the keyboard with my eyes closed till I reach around a 100 characters. Think this will stop the spam? :) okay, wish me luck. :) *taps keyboard in a thunderbirds type movement maneuvering motion*

Use keycaptcha shelley. Works excellently.

Well got my first spammers last night :eek:

Installed Chris Deemings registration form timer. Lets see how it does.

So I posted previously about a new spam service that we were planning to offer for a small fee. It seemed like people liked the idea, but not the idea of paying for it.

In light of the recent spam influx people have been seeing, we've decided to make this a free service to try and alleviate the pain people are going through.

If anyone is interested in signing up and trying out the service, you can do so here: http://spam-service.block8.co.uk/

You'll be emailed a license key and a link to download the XenForo addon. It's completely free to use.

Let me know what you think, especially if you use it - I'd love to know if it is working for you! :)
Gonna give your service a try Dan. Just signed up. :)

XRumer will spam ads for itself. That's cheeky !

XRumer 7.7.35 Elite is the most powerful soft for mass posting!

+ automatically register profiles, edit profiles, make topics/replies on forums
+ automatically confirm links in e-mails (and auto-register email accounts for that!)
+ automatically break captchas during registering and posting (only XRumer 7.7.35 can break more than 150 types of captchas, included ReCaptcha and flash-captchas)
+ XRumer recognize and answer the antibot-questions (like "2+2=?", "What is capital of England?", etc.; ONLY XRumer 7.7.35 have answers on more than 70.000 antibot questions!)
+ this program has unique intellectual mode "Antispam": its a spesial thematic posting
+ automatically update and check proxy-lists for 100% anonymity
+ its works withs blogs and social networks
+ there are lot of articles about XRumer on recouses with high reputation: "Washington post", "WikiPedia.Org", "Sophos Labs", "Symantec"
+ monthly updates increase powerful of this software everytime, XRumer has a 7-years history

And, by the way, XRumer price will be officially increased to $650 in 5 january 2013, with new important functions. Need more info? Just Google ;)

Top Bottom