Any plans for a CMS?

gmaister22

The reason i still haven't moved to xenForo is that you guys do not have an IP.Content replacement...

Are there any plans for it?

Official and supported bridges to WordPress or Joomla would be killer apps, could boost sales a lot and are much less timeconsuming to program than a xenforo cms.
I do not agree with you here. I think it is always better to have something "built in house", as then you run into no issues, when WordPress or Joomla change something on their side then you are in trouble.

Last edited:
DISQUS single-sign-on capabilities are now free. Previously they charged $99/month.

It means you can now use Wordpress as the front end of your site and enable disqus comments and use single sign on so when people log into wordpress they are logged into disqus.

Then you can link the disqus profile avatar and username to xenforo's back end and profile area (inside the disqus control panel settings), making the appearance of a unified commenting system between xenforo and wordpress.

The only parts missing are to have a xenforo account created when a wordpress account is created. Then when someone logs into Wordpress have them be also logged into xenforo. Do this and you'll have a fully integrated experience. CMS and forum.

So theoretically, if there was a perfect CMS added to XF, you say you wouldn't use it? :confused:
Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. I purchased xenForo as a Forum software, not a Swiss army knife. ;)
I personally think (and have stated numerous times) that a CMS as core would be a mistake. As an additional add-on like the RM, then fine.

It wouldn't be a bad idea but don't make it part of the core as like @Tracy Perry mentioned like vB tried to do in vB4. Make it an addon like the RM. While it may not be as powerful as say Wordpress of Drupal or Joomla IP.Content is a pretty powerful addon for IP.Board. If xF did something like IP.Content I think that would satisfy the needs of what people are wanting in a CMS.

Last edited:
I do not agree with you here. I think it is always better to have something "built in house", as then you run into no issues, when WordPress or Joomla change something on their side then you are in trouble.
Or when at attack vector is found for them you just open your system up that much wider. IF it was going to be done, I'd prefer to see it as a fully support add-on handled like the RM with an additional licensing/yearly support fee.

Or when at attack vector is found for them you just open your system up that much wider. IF it was going to be done, I'd prefer to see it as a fully support add-on handled like the RM with an additional licensing/yearly support fee.
It wouldn't matter whether or not it was in the core if there was an attack vector found.

The only difference would be the amount of potential victims as any add-on, script or software can have an exploit.

when WordPress or Joomla change something on their side then you are in trouble.

I agree with you 100% that trouble happens when WP or any other third party makes a change.

The only parts missing are to have a xenforo account created when a wordpress account is created [Disqus SSO].

Not exactly. Without much effort, I can think of four reasons not to code such a beast:
  1. WP can be configured unlimited ways that it is hard enough to stay up on - single site, multisite, multidomain, root install, subdirectory install, thousands of plugins, etc.
  2. As soon as one feature is added to the bridge then two or three people claim "more sales" would happen if "this or that" other feature is added.
  3. With each layer of new features comes more debugging and more places for bugs to creep into the code.
  4. Worse, poorly developed themes interfere, poorly configured servers interfere, and the list goes on and on.
Oh - and the bridge developer would be expected to "fix" all of the above issues - or people would review the bridge poorly and complain the support is poor. I can already hear the refund demands now. Oh - after the complaints that the initial cost is too high.....

Oh - here is a bonus - "haydes No" for you - membership plugins. OMG. My head is going to explode thinking of the nightmare.

It wouldn't matter whether or not it was in the core if there was an attack vector found.
The only difference would be the amount of potential victims as any add-on, script or software can have an exploit.
Wordpress & Joomla have had many security holes that have been used as vectors. Just do a simple search on "wordpress hacked" or "Joomla Hacked".
At least with it being an Add-On (official), it would be LESS likely to be.
That's why I run my Wordpress blogs on a VPS that I don't really care whether it gets hacked or not - if so, I'll just provision it again.

Wordpress & Joomla have had many security holes that have been used as vectors. Just do a simple search on "wordpress hacked" or "Joomla Hacked".
At least with it being an Add-On (official), it would be LESS likely to be.
That's why I run my Wordpress blogs on a VPS that I don't really care whether it gets hacked or not - if so, I'll just provision it again.
Yes, I'm well aware of Wordpress or Joomla having attack vectors; I've submitted plenty of them myself.

However something being an add-on, official or not, doesn't change the fact that any script or software can introduce a new exploit. Just because something is official doesn't mean it is exploit proof.

I don't see it happening with XF due to the thought Kier and Mike have put into the software, but it doesn't change reality that nothing can ever fully be secure.

I also don't want to see a CMS added as a core feature of XenForo, but security isn't one of those reasons.

I personally wouldn't like to see a CMS firstly because i don't need it and more importantly it takes time away from the forum side of development. Xenforo has come along way and is maturing nicely with 1.2 but it still needs refinement and further work done. I personally think, and hope the focus remains on that, the forum side .

Lets face it, attack vendors or not, Wordpress is growing very, very fast and is HUGE now (do a Google search of their total market share). A lot of the wordpress sites have grown or will be very big, and some would like to add a decent forum. A proper bridge would probably persuade some to buy Xenforo licenses. If only a tiny share of wordpress sites bought a xenforo license, Xenforo could grow a lot also.

A built-in CMS for Xenforo is a huge project, and could take years, and people would always be disappointed when they compare with Joomla and Wordpress.

Last edited:
I am little confused here.. People talk about the development team focusing on forum side of development.. which is fine.. but my question is how much of it is still left.. when we did a thread on what more do you want in this package.. we didn't see a huge list.. in fact people keep trashing each others' suggestions....

So what i am wondering is "What is it on the forum side of things that is still left to be focused on?".. (i am aware of bugs, small small improvements that needs to be done).. i am asking about "i'd rather let the developers focus on forum development" features.

I am little confused here.. People talk about the development team focusing on forum side of development.. which is fine.. but my question is how much of it is still left.. when we did a thread on what more do you want in this package.. we didn't see a huge list.. in fact people keep trashing each others' suggestions....

So what i am wondering is "What is it on the forum side of things that is still left to be focused on?".. (i am aware of bugs, small small improvements that needs to be done).. i am asking about "i'd rather let the developers focus on forum development" features.

You really going to make me type out a list? It would be easier to just disagree with my opinion. :D

- Trophies system needs extended there's just so much more that can be done with this.
- Smiley system needs vital functionality (mass uploading)
- TM (needs extending) to cater for the styling side.
- More Spam prevention features.
- More tightly integrated members profile system (so much can be done to this)
- User management extended
- Navigation Manager
- More permissions

Just a small list from the top of my head. The forum core whether you agree or disagree needs more maturing hence I hope the focus remains on the forum side. Don't even get me started on the Resource Manager I have 3 add-ons tied into it that I feel i shouldn't mainly permission type add-ons. :)

You really going to make me type out a list? It would be easier to just disagree with my opinion. :D

- Trophies system needs extended there's just so much more that can be done with this.
- Smiley system needs vital functionality (mass uploading)
- TM (needs extending) to cater for the styling side.
- More Spam prevention features.
- More tightly integrated members profile system (so much can be done to this)
- User management extended
- Navigation Manager
- More permissions

Just a small list from the top of my head. The forum core whether you agree or disagree needs more maturing hence I hope the focus remains on the forum side. Don't even get me started on the Resource Manager I have 3 add-ons tied into it that I feel i shouldn't mainly permission type add-ons. :)

The responsive design (closer to adaptive, though not entirely that) needs work too... It's much too limiting in the way things have been done and it's had me almost punch a hole in my monitor in frustration at how limited it has become to differentiate styles.

Top Bottom